MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Four vs Six

I'm curious if I've mistyped myself.

Would anyone be so kind to offer descriptions between the two that can help to clarify differences and why some sixes misidentify as four.

Also, specific ISFP 4 and ISFP 6 examples would be very helpful.

@Elfboy @Stansmith @brainheart
    Last edited by IndyGhost; 09-09-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Stansmith

If you suddenly became an integral, indistinguishable, ordinary, average member of a group of dependable happy/optimistic friends who cherish you and cater to your needs, would you be content or frustrated?

6s want to be liked and appreciated, 4s want to be understood and embraced for their essence. The Six is happy when the popular kids ask him to hang out, while the Four will still be sad regardless until he/she feels like a true, genuine connection has been made.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

@Stansmith I'm actually not certain. I tend to run with an eccentric crowd. I sometimes ask myself, why can't I seem to make friends with "normal" types? Average joes, with normal jobs who are well integrated into the world. I then assume I must be incapable of coming off "normal" myself, and therefore attract odd personalities.

But I also wonder, were I to hang out with a more "normal" crowd, would it be utterly boring? Or would I be more well adjusted?

To the second question: Both. I would be excited initially. But terrified at the same time. It's something I also connected to my introversion. I cannot be friends with people based on a shallow relationship. I'm always trying to reach to the core of people. "Who are you? What do you stand for? Where did you come from and how has that molded you?" And so forth. If I am not given an opportunity to get to know someone, then I'll turn down every invitation. But would be giddy at the thought of being considered worthy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize if I sound like I'm rambling. I'm actually very sleepy at the moment and am not certain why I haven't called it a night yet.
    Last edited by IndyGhost; 09-09-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: sleepy* not sleep.
    -John Green

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I'm curious if I've mistyped myself.

Would anyone be so kind to offer descriptions between the two that can help to clarify differences and why some sixes misidentify as four.

Also, specific ISFP 4 and ISFP 6 examples would be very helpful.
    It seems to me, as a four: Sixes have this more heady energy- a lot more anxious and keyed up. It's like you can hear the gears in their head turning. Or there's this sort of nervousness. They seem more either cynical or skeptical (typically 6w5) or trusting and lighter/fun (6w7). They seem more human to me, if that makes sense. Sixes may rebel for the sake of rebelling- for example, shaving their head and getting tattoos just to 'freak people out'. There are a lot more authority issues, or issues with belonging, or issues with deliberately setting themselves apart. Sixes are more loyal and supportive/ desire loyalty and support than fours. They tend to think out loud or tell their thoughts to others in order to process them- the 6w7s, anyway.

Fours have more of a heavy heart energy- this regretful moroseness. When I think of four I think of the first verse of a poem by Paul Verlaine- Il pleure dans mon coeur comme il pleut sur la ville/ Quelle est cette langueur qui penetre mon coeur- It cries in my heart like it rains on the city/ What is this languor which penetrates my heart?

Fours tend to be more sullen or despondent. This isn't to say a four can't have fun and can't be silly, but there's always this undercurrent that the fun silliness is fleeting. Fours are separated from others, but they don't do this deliberately. They just are. They may shave their head and get tattoos but it's more about expressing something within. Fours don't rebel so much as just have a different way of seeing things/ doing things. Others may perceive this as rebellion, but it's not. Fours are self absorbed- by this mean, every thing comes back into the self- how does this affect me? How does this make me feel? How does this relate to my past and me feelings of regret, shame, envy? Fours can also be supportive, but often drop people when the relationship 'feels wrong'. They have higher expectations and become frustrated more easily.

More importantly though, you said you very much related to what I said about the four image- why the questioning?

My guesses:

ISFP Fours- Heath Ledger (4w3), Bob Dylan (4w5)

ISFP 6w5- Kristen Stewart. 6w7- Woody Allen, Julie Delpy

Likes Noon, SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    It seems to me, as a four: Sixes have this more heady energy- a lot more anxious and keyed up. It's like you can hear the gears in their head turning. Or there's this sort of nervousness. They seem more either cynical or skeptical (typically 6w5) or trusting and lighter/fun (6w7). They seem more human to me, if that makes sense. Sixes may rebel for the sake of rebelling- for example, shaving their head and getting tattoos just to 'freak people out'. There are a lot more authority issues, or issues with belonging, or issues with deliberately setting themselves apart. Sixes are more loyal and supportive/ desire loyalty and support than fours. They tend to think out loud or tell their thoughts to others in order to process them- the 6w7s, anyway.

Fours have more of a heavy heart energy- this regretful moroseness. When I think of four I think of the first verse of a poem by Paul Verlaine- Il pleure dans mon coeur comme il pleut sur la ville/ Quelle est cette langueur qui penetre mon coeur- It cries in my heart like it rains on the city/ What is this languor which penetrates my heart?

Fours tend to be more sullen or despondent. This isn't to say a four can't have fun and can't be silly, but there's always this undercurrent that the fun silliness is fleeting. Fours are separated from others, but they don't do this deliberately. They just are. They may shave their head and get tattoos but it's more about expressing something within. Fours don't rebel so much as just have a different way of seeing things/ doing things. Others may perceive this as rebellion, but it's not. Fours are self absorbed- by this mean, every thing comes back into the self- how does this affect me? How does this make me feel? How does this relate to my past and me feelings of regret, shame, envy? Fours can also be supportive, but often drop people when the relationship 'feels wrong'. They have higher expectations and become frustrated more easily.

More importantly though, you said you very much related to what I said about the four image- why the questioning?

My guesses:

ISFP Fours- Heath Ledger, Bob Dylan

ISFP Sixes- Kristen Stewart, Woody Allen, Julie Delpy
    Thank you!

I remember on PerC there was an ISFP 6 who I felt I related to more closely than to the ISFP 4's I've met.

Same in person. The ISFP 4's I know irritate me. Especially if they have a 3 wing. But I have become somewhat close to an ESFP e4 who's status updates and general commentary on his position makes me want to shake him, time to time.

I suppose it's because I don't really have that depressive side anymore. And I read all the time that depressive female 6's may mistype their selves as 4. So I'm always curious if perhaps I had mistyped myself. I don't really understand type 6 very well. I do have a very anxious side, which almost caused me to seek out help.
    -John Green

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Thank you!

I remember on PerC there was an ISFP 6 who I felt I related to more closely than to the ISFP 4's I've met.

Same in person. The ISFP 4's I know irritate me. Especially if they have a 3 wing. But I have become somewhat close to an ESFP e4 who's status updates and general commentary on his position makes me want to shake him, time to time.

I suppose it's because I don't really have that depressive side anymore. And I read all the time that depressive female 6's may mistype their selves as 4. So I'm always curious if perhaps I had mistyped myself. I don't really understand type 6 very well. I do have a very anxious side, which almost caused me to seek out help.
    I'll be frank, there are fours who bug the shit out of me while there are sixes I really sync with. I don't know if that matters as far as your typing goes. You might just be getting healthier.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

not helpful sorry but heath has got to be an infp!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    not helpful sorry but heath has got to be an infp!
    Entirely possible, not like I know for sure. I think it can be difficult to tell the difference a lot of the time (I can seem pretty ISFP-ish.) Regardless he's quite likely a fi-dom 4.

Otherwise, what's not helpful? Just curious-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Oh I just meant my comment isn't going to be helpful to the op but Heath has to be infp! Haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Oh I just meant my comment isn't going to be helpful to the op but Heath has to be infp! Haha
    Gotcha