• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christians that are id types

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So I am a core 7w6 or possibly a core 6w7 with a strong 7 wing. I also have a very strong 3w2 fix and a 9w8 fix with a strong 8 wing. The id types in the enneagram are 3, 7, and 8. So as you can see, I have a lot of id in me. The id is associated with "worldly" things such as the love for money, power, hedonism, sex, etc. Anyway, I find it very hard to be an id type and to be a Christian at the same time, since the Christian doctrine caters more to super-ego types and discourages activities that are associated with the id. Are you a Christian id type or are you a core id type that was raised Christian, and if so what was/is your experience with the religion?
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

You may want to check out this thread.

S

Stansmith

My 3 cousin believes in God but doesn't believe in the bible or institutional religion.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 7 and was raised in a Christian family. I have gone through times of closeness and farness from God in my life, but have always identified as a Christian.

That said, I think my nature has made it really hard for me. I had a hard time with sexuality in my relationships before I was married. I lived in a lot of guilt for wanting to be intimate, for them wanting that with me, but still believing it was wrong.

I also struggled with personal authenticity. I wanted to believe my faith and relationship with God were true. I would identify if I were being "not myself" in an attempt to be a good Christian. I also had a hard time with church events and groups for the same reason. I felt an inauthenticity there, and as far as faith goes, authenticity is number one on my opinion.

But I believe that God made this beautiful creation we know as life on earth, and to a great extent, I equate my love of life with love for God.

Lark

My 3 cousin believes in God but doesn't believe in the bible or institutional religion.

That doesnt make you a Christian you know, there's plenty of religions which believe in a God and the belief in a God predates and could probably post-date most religions too properly understood.

Lark

I didnt make the connection with id in the Freudian tripartite consciousness idea way right away, I thought you were talking about Christian Identity which is some sort of white seperatist or supremacist idea.

I think that id needs to controlled, I dont really think that you can be either for id or for ego (in my understanding that is the see-saw labels and the superego is trying to keep control by balancing them), its not a typology like that, you cant really exercise a preference.

Being more towards one or the other means you are imbalanced as a personality, you are chaotic or neurotic, neither are what you want to be because either are maladjusted.

S

Stansmith

Religious 7s and 8w7s are basically those Irish Catholics that sin 24/7 but go to church consistently, 3s and 8w9s can adhere to religion just fine, and alot of 7w6s don't seem that blasphemous.

It's more cultural than anything.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Religious 7s and 8w7s are basically those Irish Catholics that sin 24/7 but go to church consistently, 3s and 8w9s can adhere to religion just fine, and alot of 7w6s don't seem that blasphemous.

It's more cultural than anything.

I think that I need to switch to Catholicism. They seem to be much more lax with the moral values.

I'm a 7 and was raised in a Christian family. I have gone through times of closeness and farness from God in my life, but have always identified as a Christian.

That said, I think my nature has made it really hard for me. I had a hard time with sexuality in my relationships before I was married. I lived in a lot of guilt for wanting to be intimate, for them wanting that with me, but still believing it was wrong.

I also struggled with personal authenticity. I wanted to believe my faith and relationship with God were true. I would identify if I were being "not myself" in an attempt to be a good Christian. I also had a hard time with church events and groups for the same reason. I felt an inauthenticity there, and as far as faith goes, authenticity is number one on my opinion.

But I believe that God made this beautiful creation we know as life on earth, and to a great extent, I equate my love of life with love for God.

Yeah I've struggled with the exact same thing.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I thought I might be a 3w4 but now either 1 or 4. Anyway, I think Id types might have to do more work juggling the primal desires of the id with the dictates of Christ, never letting the former overwhelm them. Of course that doesn't mean repressing, but more like channeling or releasing it.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

This. I have a hard time getting really into church rituals or church functions because I feel like a fraud much of the time.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think Id types would probably do okay in my brand of Christianity if they could halfway keep a lid on their junk. Pentecostals are supposed to be passionate and driven. It's one of the many things that makes me a sucky Pentecostal.

Edit: My brother is a Pentecostal preacher and when he gets really going with the praise and worship it looks like he's air-humping God. :laugh:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My close 3w4 friend is a mainline Protestant and she seems pretty all right with it. She's fairly self-centered and can be snobby/judgmental but she does have strong values and she works hard. She's going into a human service field as her career even though it won't automatically bring in huge money or high status, for example, which I think is pretty admirable for a Social 3. She is very loyal to her church and congregation, she really looks up to some of the leaders there, and for the most part she seems to act in a way that is in line with her professed beliefs.

Of course, 3s are excellent at making things appear great outside, so I can't really account for how she experiences the struggle to be faithful internally.

Last edited:

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a non denominational Christian and though I am not an "id type" (sometimes I think 4 should be though), I have quite a few Christ following friends who are. I volunteer in the youth ministry of a very large church, and many of my fellow volunteers are highly capable leaders (which of course means lots of 3, 7 and 8). Counting only those who I know personally, and who know their Enneagram type (quite a few really, my church is actually how I got into the Enneagram), I know five 3's, three 7's and five 8's. All of them lead lives committed to Christ, but this doesn't mean they never sin! If we didn't sin at all (if someone could actually figure that out), we wouldn't need the blood of Christ to cover us. Their devotion to "walk the walk" of the way Christians are called to live is very real though. All of them (everyone I know who is in a career or volunteer place of leadership at my church) have accountability in place in their lives in areas where they are weak, because they desire to live a godly life. It works too! I can even say from my own experience, I know where my flesh is the weakest and I stay as far as I humanly can from temptations of that nature. I've had zero problems for 4 years because I desired freedom from it enough to seek accountability.

It is a really interesting topic though, I may ask my 3's, 7's and 8's about this! If I do, I'd be glad to post what they had to say here. :)