User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default Christians that are id types

    So I am a core 7w6 or possibly a core 6w7 with a strong 7 wing. I also have a very strong 3w2 fix and a 9w8 fix with a strong 8 wing. The id types in the enneagram are 3, 7, and 8. So as you can see, I have a lot of id in me. The id is associated with "worldly" things such as the love for money, power, hedonism, sex, etc. Anyway, I find it very hard to be an id type and to be a Christian at the same time, since the Christian doctrine caters more to super-ego types and discourages activities that are associated with the id. Are you a Christian id type or are you a core id type that was raised Christian, and if so what was/is your experience with the religion?

    @Elfboy

    You may want to check out this thread.

  2. #2
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    My 3 cousin believes in God but doesn't believe in the bible or institutional religion.

  3. #3
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    I'm a 7 and was raised in a Christian family. I have gone through times of closeness and farness from God in my life, but have always identified as a Christian.

    That said, I think my nature has made it really hard for me. I had a hard time with sexuality in my relationships before I was married. I lived in a lot of guilt for wanting to be intimate, for them wanting that with me, but still believing it was wrong.

    I also struggled with personal authenticity. I wanted to believe my faith and relationship with God were true. I would identify if I were being "not myself" in an attempt to be a good Christian. I also had a hard time with church events and groups for the same reason. I felt an inauthenticity there, and as far as faith goes, authenticity is number one on my opinion.

    But I believe that God made this beautiful creation we know as life on earth, and to a great extent, I equate my love of life with love for God.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    My 3 cousin believes in God but doesn't believe in the bible or institutional religion.
    That doesnt make you a Christian you know, there's plenty of religions which believe in a God and the belief in a God predates and could probably post-date most religions too properly understood.

  5. #5

    Default

    I didnt make the connection with id in the Freudian tripartite consciousness idea way right away, I thought you were talking about Christian Identity which is some sort of white seperatist or supremacist idea.

    I think that id needs to controlled, I dont really think that you can be either for id or for ego (in my understanding that is the see-saw labels and the superego is trying to keep control by balancing them), its not a typology like that, you cant really exercise a preference.

    Being more towards one or the other means you are imbalanced as a personality, you are chaotic or neurotic, neither are what you want to be because either are maladjusted.

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    8w7 bible thumper

  7. #7
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    Religious 7s and 8w7s are basically those Irish Catholics that sin 24/7 but go to church consistently, 3s and 8w9s can adhere to religion just fine, and alot of 7w6s don't seem that blasphemous.

    It's more cultural than anything.

  8. #8
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Religious 7s and 8w7s are basically those Irish Catholics that sin 24/7 but go to church consistently, 3s and 8w9s can adhere to religion just fine, and alot of 7w6s don't seem that blasphemous.

    It's more cultural than anything.
    I think that I need to switch to Catholicism. They seem to be much more lax with the moral values.

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I'm a 7 and was raised in a Christian family. I have gone through times of closeness and farness from God in my life, but have always identified as a Christian.

    That said, I think my nature has made it really hard for me. I had a hard time with sexuality in my relationships before I was married. I lived in a lot of guilt for wanting to be intimate, for them wanting that with me, but still believing it was wrong.

    I also struggled with personal authenticity. I wanted to believe my faith and relationship with God were true. I would identify if I were being "not myself" in an attempt to be a good Christian. I also had a hard time with church events and groups for the same reason. I felt an inauthenticity there, and as far as faith goes, authenticity is number one on my opinion.

    But I believe that God made this beautiful creation we know as life on earth, and to a great extent, I equate my love of life with love for God.
    Yeah I've struggled with the exact same thing.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cloud of Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I thought I might be a 3w4 but now either 1 or 4. Anyway, I think Id types might have to do more work juggling the primal desires of the id with the dictates of Christ, never letting the former overwhelm them. Of course that doesn't mean repressing, but more like channeling or releasing it.
    The only way out is through. The faster you're in, the better.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cloud of Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I'm a 7 and was raised in a Christian family. I have gone through times of closeness and farness from God in my life, but have always identified as a Christian.

    That said, I think my nature has made it really hard for me. I had a hard time with sexuality in my relationships before I was married. I lived in a lot of guilt for wanting to be intimate, for them wanting that with me, but still believing it was wrong.

    I also struggled with personal authenticity. I wanted to believe my faith and relationship with God were true. I would identify if I were being "not myself" in an attempt to be a good Christian. I also had a hard time with church events and groups for the same reason. I felt an inauthenticity there, and as far as faith goes, authenticity is number one on my opinion.
    This. I have a hard time getting really into church rituals or church functions because I feel like a fraud much of the time.
    The only way out is through. The faster you're in, the better.

Similar Threads

  1. Which two types that are only one letter apart are the most different?
    By OneLovelyAdventure in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 08:37 PM
  2. Types that are driven by ideas
    By Typoz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  3. [INFP] For those that are unsure of their INFPness or if there some 'other' type...
    By flameskull95 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 07:33 PM
  4. present an argument as to why you are your type
    By Grayscale in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
  5. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO