• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm not sure about my type anymore :(

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is there any good, solid thing I can read on the enneagram?

I think I'm a 7 and I identify with the mental triad. But I identify with all types from 3-8, in particular with the 4. My highest marks on tests are 7, 8, 3 and 4.

I just retook a test from SimilarMinds and got this:

type score behavior motivation
3 15 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
8 15 I must be strong and in control to survive.
4 14 I must be unique/different to survive.
7 14 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
1 13 I must be perfect and good to survive.
5 12 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
6 7 I must be secure and safe to survive.
9 4 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
2 3 I must be helpful and caring to survive.

The other day on EcleticEnergies I got: 8>3>7>4

What are the most important things that I should consider to be sure about my type? See, I just think that I'm a bit of many types...is that possible?

EDIT: just took a longer test from SimilarMinds and got:

ENFP Sx/sp

7 21 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
4 20 I must be unique/different to survive.
8 17 I must be strong and in control to survive.
3 16 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
6 6 I must be secure and safe to survive.
9 6 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
2 4 I must be helpful and caring to survive.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You took the test from similarminds. I always score as 3 on that test also. Its also important to remember the author is a pure behaviorist and doesnt beleive in traditional enneagram, not that thats a sin in itself its just I dont agree with his vision of how behaviors correlate to motivation. To him, external behavior = motive. As if behaviors couldnt fool us!

The first thing to consider about type is your drives. Not the actual, drives of the moment, but your deep underlying drives. Consider this page: http://www.9types.com/epd/1.php

Dancing_Queen

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You took the test from similarminds. I always score as 3 on that test also. Its also important to remember the author is a pure behaviorist and doesnt beleive in traditional enneagram, not that thats a sin in itself its just I dont agree with his vision of how behaviors correlate to motivation. To him, external behavior = motive. As if behaviors couldnt fool us!

The first thing to consider about type is your drives. Not the actual, drives of the moment, but your deep underlying drives. Consider this page: http://www.9types.com/epd/1.php

Yes, SimilarMinds is quite bogus for most people, though it worked just fine for me. Take the 9types.com one and also this one:
http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php

The descriptions are really good too. For fun:
http://www.blogthings.com/whatnumberareyouquiz/

It also gave me the same answer.

You should read the Ennegram types descriptions by the user "Timeless" at Personalitycafe.com, he's amazing.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get
Type 9 - 10.7
Type 5 - 10.7
Type 4 - 10.3
Type 6 - 8
Type 2 - 7
Type 7 - 6.3
Type 1 - 5.7
Type 8 - 3

Wing 5w4 - 15.9
Wing 4w5 - 15.7
Wing 5w6 - 14.7
Wing 9w1 - 13.6
Wing 6w5 - 13.4
Wing 9w8 - 12.2
Wing 4w3 - 11.3
Wing 6w7 - 11.2
Wing 1w9 - 11.1
Wing 7w6 - 10.3
Wing 2w1 - 9.9
Wing 1w2 - 9.2
Wing 8w9 - 8.4
Wing 2w3 - 8
Wing 7w8 - 7.8
Wing 8w7 - 6.2

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I took the 9types too, but basically all the types were even. I took the Ecletic Energies one too, it gave me 8 followed by 3 then 7 and then 4.

The problem with the 9 types descriptions is that they have 7 different philosophers ( Naranjo / Palmer / Riso and Hudson / Baron & Wagele / Keyes / Hurley & Dobson / Callahan) all giving different descriptions of the types...and I kinda see myself identifying with several. For instance, I identify with the 7 description and with the fear of being deprived and the end-result of gluttony. But I also identify with the fear of being defective of the 4 and the search for identity. I also identify with the fear of being abandoned of the 6. I don't identify with the fear of not being accepted of the 3, but I do identify with several descriptions of the 3. I identify with the fear of being unloved of the 2, but I never identify with the descriptions of the 2.

Lately I've been wondering if 7 is my core type because other 7s say they are upbeat and happy, but my resting state is longing-melancholic...does that mean type 4? And I think I'm a combination of Id-SuperEgo, which would force me to be 3w2, 6w7 or 7w6, according to the freudian analysis of the enneagram.

So, is there an objective way to be sure of my type and what factors should I take into consideration?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I took the 9types too, but basically all the types were even. I took the Ecletic Energies one too, it gave me 8 followed by 3 then 7 and then 4.

The problem with the 9 types descriptions is that they have 7 different philosophers ( Naranjo / Palmer / Riso and Hudson / Baron & Wagele / Keyes / Hurley & Dobson / Callahan) all giving different descriptions of the types...and I kinda see myself identifying with several. For instance, I identify with the 7 description and with the fear of being deprived and the end-result of gluttony. But I also identify with the fear of being defective of the 4 and the search for identity. I also identify with the fear of being abandoned of the 6. I don't identify with the fear of not being accepted of the 3, but I do identify with several descriptions of the 3. I identify with the fear of being unloved of the 2, but I never identify with the descriptions of the 2.

Lately I've been wondering if 7 is my core type because other 7s say they are upbeat and happy, but my resting state is longing-melancholic...does that mean type 4? And I think I'm a combination of Id-SuperEgo, which would force me to be 3w2, 6w7 or 7w6, according to the freudian analysis of the enneagram.

So, is there an objective way to be sure of my type and what factors should I take into consideration?

I would consider your fears and downfalls... consider all of them and then try to find a strong common thread.... Seems people have more success based on the negatives in that system.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
EDIT: just took a longer test from SimilarMinds and got:

ENFP Sx/sp

7 21 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
4 20 I must be unique/different to survive.
8 17 I must be strong and in control to survive.
3 16 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
6 6 I must be secure and safe to survive.
9 6 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
2 4 I must be helpful and caring to survive.

At least this supports your self-typing? :D

Anyway, like others said I would consider thinking about your true fears/desires. They probably won't all be Enneagram-related, but it's good to find some correlations between those and your type. Key motivators would be good too.

On the topic of SimilarMinds, this page about ideal type match-ups is interesting. Mostly funny to look at, but at least 2w1 and 8w9 sounds like a cute pair. :wubbie:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
someone here said once it's often whatever hurts the most to read.

and i believe that completely...

or possibly embarrasses you is more apt a word for my experience as a 7

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
someone here said once it's often whatever hurts the most to read.

and i believe that completely...

or possibly embarrasses you is more apt a word for my experience as a 7

Agreed.

I hate the fact I have a fear of abandonment. If you were to ask me 5 years ago if I had one, I woulda said hell no. So counterphobic :dont:

Then recently [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] was trying to help me

Poor Starry...I'm sorry :( and thank you! :hug:

Starry had told me I could be an 8w7...and probably didn't have a wing of 5

I dismissed the idea cause I can't stand 7's...(the ones I know irl at least)

Then about 3 days after that...I realized I don't take to them well, cause I have a strong wing of seven. dammit :dry:

There's obviously something in myself that I don't like and when I'm around a 7 I'm reminded of it. Damn them shadows. :/

In enneagram you often are what grates you, unless ur a nine
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] do you think you're a nine? you said many types fit you. Often when one does not relate to just one type...that's a sign your a nine.

I read books on the enneagram cause I wasn't agreeing with anything that the enneagram institute had to say...

I started with the book "The Enneagram Made Easy" lol

Then I read the "The Spiritual Dimensions of the Enneagram, 9 Faces of the Soul"

It's not until I read the latter that I was very solid with my type.

Now I read theenneagram.blogspot.com cause it references whose theory is which...

S

Stansmith

People at average and unhealthy levels of each type tend to really fear taking on the traits of their integration point, and see it as almost ego-defying

6s fear that they'll be too compliant (9)
4s fear they'll be too ordinary (1)
3s fear they'll be too passive (6)
2s fear they'll be too alienating (4)
1s fear they'll lose their principles (7)
9s fear they'll be exposed (3)
8s fear they'll be weak (2)
7s fear they'll being confined or limiting their possibilities (5)

There's usually gonna be one that really irks you.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] do you think you're a nine? you said many types fit you. Often when one does not relate to just one type...that's a sign your a nine.

Ahah NO! one of the few certainties I have in my life is that I'm not a type 9 :tongue: (seriously, it's a type that i don't understand at all. i'm not accommodating and i have very clear opinions about most things)

I've more or less established now that 7 is my core. I had a moment of mental diarrhea when I thought I might not be so...I guess the more I read about enneagram types, the more confused I get. But if I see my whole life in perspective, then I think 7 makes a lot of sense.

Now I'm on the road to determining what the tritype could be. It could be 1 or 8 from the gut fix and 3 or 4 from the heart. I'm going to think about it... :) ....oh, and the wing too! ;)

EDIT: uuuh, look what i found :D

this could be cool for other 7s if they're unsure of their tritype:

7 with 1 gut fix: both are idealistic and share a connection (unhealthy 7 goes to 1). I imagine there is much internal tension between 7's self-indulgence and 1's self-restraint, which might lead to hypocrisy and claiming to be „above” meaningless fun. Very future-oriented.

7 with 8 gut fix: both are assertive (aka id types), hedonistic, aggressive, moody, intense. Typical non-conformists, can be insensitive jerks especially when unhealty. They get what they want (or they wish they could, lol), and are drawn to intensity and variety. Most are 7w8 (Captain Obvious, lol).

7 with 9 gut fix: both are positive outlook types, and escape from the dull, cruel world. The need to be seen as happy and laid-back is present in both, although they don't always feel like it (I suspect it can make them mistype as Fours, especially because 9 fix would make them a bit shy and withdrawn).

7 with 2 heart fix: both are positive outlook types. Nevertheless, while 2 wants to be selfless, 7 is self-centered. They can be very gregarious, charming and funny, but not willing to dwell on negativity. I suspect most are So-doms. OTOH, they might seem hysterical when unhealthy.

7 with 3 heart fix: both are assertive (aka id types). They don't want to look miserable, sad or unsuccessful, and the 3 augments their 7-ish need for seeking new sensations. Some description present they as wanting to be always trendy, attracted to luxury and lavishness, but I doubt it's always the case.

7 with 4 heart fix: both are idealistic, intense, creative and self-indulgent. There is a lot of tension between 4-ish pessimism, unrestrained emotions [yes! bingo!] and 7-ish optimism combined with disregard for feelings. I suspect the most flamboyant 7s are 4-fixers.

http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-f...theories-improved-descriptions-bad-jokes.html

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People at average and unhealthy levels of each type tend to really fear taking on the traits of their integration point, and see it as almost ego-defying

6s fear that they'll be too compliant (9)
4s fear they'll be too ordinary (1)
3s fear they'll be too passive (6)
2s fear they'll be too alienating (4)
1s fear they'll lose their principles (7)
9s fear they'll be exposed (3)
8s fear they'll be weak (2)
7s fear they'll being confined or limiting their possibilities (5)

There's usually gonna be one that really irks you.

Mmmm why that theory? you could also say that people may also fear being their point of disintegration, cause they dont want to be unhealthy.
Do you identify with what you posted, do you fear the 9? I'd say the 1 irks me the most, I cant stand how someone may think that there's only one way or that things are black&white. I like 5s, they are usually calmer and wiser than me, and I can have very meaningful discussions with them. I also sympathise with their problems with integrating in society and general naivety.

S

Stansmith

Mmmm why that theory? you could also say that people may also fear being their point of disintegration, cause they dont want to be unhealthy.
Do you identify with what you posted, do you fear the 9? I'd say the 1 irks me the most, I cant stand how someone may think that there's only one way or that things are black&white. And I find 6s boring. I like 5s, they are usually calmer and wiser than me, and I can have very meaningful discussions with them. I also sympathise with their problems with integrating in society and general naivety. And 2s are annoying because they're up in everyone's business.

My attitude towards integration 9 is basically a fear of accepting an unfulfilling life.

And it's not just that you find a certain type lame, it's more about a fear of being like that type, given your aspirations and current life-situation. If I was born a 9w8 or 9w1 with their fears and aspirations I wouldn't mind, but the thought of adopting those traits where I'm at now is kind of unsettling.

Starry

Agreed.

I hate the fact I have a fear of abandonment. If you were to ask me 5 years ago if I had one, I woulda said hell no. So counterphobic :dont:

Then recently [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] was trying to help me

Poor Starry...I'm sorry :( and thank you! :hug:

Starry had told me I could be an 8w7...and probably didn't have a wing of 5

I dismissed the idea cause I can't stand 7's...(the ones I know irl at least)

Then about 3 days after that...I realized I don't take to them well, cause I have a strong wing of seven. dammit :dry:

There's obviously something in myself that I don't like and when I'm around a 7 I'm reminded of it. Damn them shadows. :/

Oh sweetie... please don't worry about me!!! omg no haha! People rejecting my input on what their type is...is a common occurrence... and I'm not entirely sure which cardboard box I'd be living in... in which red-light part of what city...if I experienced hurt whenever this happened (psst - there are a couple of males on this forum...that temporarily shift their type away from whatever I suggest...using the information I've provided them incorrectly...as *proof* they are whatever they want to believe they are at the time. I've considered guiding them into their actual types by totally agreeing with everything they say haha. <-this only registers as an eye-roll on my radar.)

Anyway, I actually thought it was hilarious how you were totally blasting 7s. And honestly, with all the 7 hate that was on the forum at the time I realized this about myself... the experience was almost like 'coming out of the closet to my super religious family' or something of the sort. What you guys are discussing is so true. You need to look at the descriptions that turn your stomach to read. That will be your type haha!

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh sweetie... please don't worry about me!!! omg no haha! People rejecting my input on what their type is...is a common occurrence... and I'm not entirely sure which cardboard box I'd be living in... in which red-light part of what city...if I experienced hurt whenever this happened (psst - there are a couple of males on this forum...that temporarily shift their type away from whatever I suggest...using the information I've provided them incorrectly...as *proof* they are whatever they want to believe they are at the time. I've considered guiding them into their actual types by totally agreeing with everything they say haha. <-this only registers as an eye-roll on my radar.)

Anyway, I actually thought it was hilarious how you were totally blasting 7s. And honestly, with all the 7 hate that was on the forum at the time I realized this about myself... the experience was almost like 'coming out of the closet to my super religious family' or something of the sort. What you guys are discussing is so true. You need to look at the descriptions that turn your stomach to read. That will be your type haha!

Yea, not only am I not a 6w5...but my wing is STRONG wing 7:doh: oy vey

gromit

likes this
Hang in there pinkgraffiti. You're still you. And that is what matters.