• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hardest Type to be in The Enneagram

W

WALMART

Every Dune novel after the first isn't much worth the read. However, I do recommend watching David Lynch's interpretation if only for the lulz. :D

I barely managed to get through Dune, to be honest.... lol.

I found it online :p

S

Stansmith

I think this has something to do with them being at the bottom of the enneagram. The gap between the 4 & 5 is some kind of void they have a connection to (or a disconnect from the energies of the other types; "outsiders"), and 9 forms a triad with that void (being at the top, in the middle), which makes them the withdrawn triad. The proximity of 6 to 5 would bring an element of this to them & I find it easy to see (even though they seem to feel it more than appear as "outsiders"), but I'm not sure why it doesn't apply so clearly to 3s.

If 6s appear "normal" and accepted, 3s look outstanding and worshipped.

While all the other types form cliques in highschool, the loner 3w4s just swoop in and steal everyone's girlfriends when they're not studying for exams or prepping for an NBC internship.

G

Glycerine

Oh man 3s have it hard too but they keep the shit inside. They are so freaking tied to their image that it can be difficult to decipher what they truly want and need. There is typically a constant striving to meet a goal and then going onto the next one (sometimes never really fully appreciating their accomplishments... that's why many are insecure attention whores) but at the same time, resentment builds if there's no real passion (like going through the motions). Saying that, since they usually know how to play a role, they tend to be successful by external standards. Being driven by external validation and standards can fuck with one's mind if you're not careful though.

6s, 4s, 5s probably have it the "hardest" both internally and externally.

Last edited:

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my perspective on me being a four.. i dont think i could appreciate being any other way, but the thing is, i can get anything i want. i just dont, want, to. cause everything is boring. even emotions, the only thing i do like, seem vain, because i cant focus on them, since then i could potentially fail to take care of myself.

i can make anyone like me, even love, but i.. it means nothing to me. its pleasant, and they might help me, but it still seems useless waste of effort.

but my honest opinion is, that no type has it easier. each has their own, different problems.

I don't agree at all.

6 is fucking difficult, dude.

Try dealing with that level of projection/paranoia, even in the avg ranges.

I agree that 4 and 5 are fucked, but I think 6 fits pretty well in that grouping.

Granted, I'm also an INTJ, and an sx/so, which prolly doesn't help.

Uhh, wait... did I just fulfill what the OP said?

Edit: or was that another thread?

/ on my phone

"Even if people like us, we're paranoid that they don't, and that in a moment everyone could turn against us."

i kind of admire that, cause i have the opposite problem. i trust everyone, and even if i feel like youre manipulating me, i just disregrd it and suffer the consequences. for this, i suffer several permanent injuries that cause me constant physical pain.

and yeh, we sx so's dont have it easy. we get too serious and whoops. the life is over!

Not gonna lie. Being an 8 is pretty awesome. Sucks to suck, brah. :cool:

how about lack of fear getting you into trouble?
or you being a malice to those _near_ to you?
perhaps the reason why people keep their distance to you.

----------

on one hand, i htink 7w8 seems pretty cool, but shallow.

"Pang - A sudden sharp pain or painful emotion."

I don't believe the thinking sixes do is frequently introverted on itself, it doesn't focus on the nature of the innervation, say as you'd find in a four. I think the worry manifests externally for many sixes, much like a form of paranoia or hypochondria would.

IE sixes have trouble relating phenomena back to themselves. They find solace in external reparations.

thats a good point, im constantly doing something to "improve" myself, which doesnt help but is a problem, and i fail to realize that the problem is actually me not utilizing _external_ resources, so i try to solve a problem by a method that doesnt work, without realizing it doesnt work.. <.<

im actually learning how to become wary, im making all kinds of connections based on my experiences as to what kind of behaviour is omnious and so on. its a pretty elaborate web, and im proud that im finally not so easy to abuse anymore.

I wouldn't say that 9's never worry about anything, it's just that we tend to be highly conflict avoidant, whether that be an overdue parking fine we're ignoring or an actual argument. We're pretty good at pretending things didn't happen and burying our heads in the sand, which can make for some spectacularly bad decisions and outcomes.

the worst part for nines perhpsa is, the lack of identity. you guys just seem empty to me.

Finally a sucessful thread that doesn't rely on drama.

Let's not screw this one up, folks (you included, Rasofy).

but drama is fun.. =)

Oh man 3s have it hard too but they keep the shit inside. They are so freaking tied to their image that it can be difficult to decipher what they truly want and need. Saying that, since they usually know how to play a role, they tend to be successful by external standards. Being driven by external validation and standards can fuck with one's mind if you're not careful though.

6s, 4s, 5s probably have it the "hardest" both internally and externally.

i love emphatizing my 3w4 friends problems. unlike other peoples problems, 3w4's problems actually feel GOOD. so its a lot of pleasure for me. i also love russian pop (russia is 3w4 sx so country) since that 3w4's sweet not sad but sad like quality is just.. nothing can beat it, listen this! (its like sadness without the pain.)

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that whether or not they actually have it the hardest, 4, 5, and 6 make up an unspoken for enneagram triad. I'm not as clear on its counterparts or what defines these triads (perceived personal resources, maybe). 8 and 7 are probably in the same group, as are 2 and 3.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On the bright (?) side... no one gets away unscathed, which is why we all have an enneatype, so even 6s shouldn't feel too bad! Some people get lucky and their enneatype causes them less trouble, but everyone comes face-to-face with it at some point in their life. It may even be better to struggle with it earlier than later, because at least then you are aware of it sooner.

Seems like the OP is very focused on how the other types are perceived to be... not so much on how they are internally. [...] I'm wondering why it matters, who has it worse. Or how this could possibly be generalizable by type, even when narrowing the examples to people of average health.

Yes, this was my first thought, too. I'm not sure it's really possible to create a generalized hierarchy of subjective experience. I figured the main purpose of the levels of health is that any two people of different enneatypes at the same level of health would be faring about the same in terms of self-actualization and overall life satisfaction, though perhaps not moment-to-moment happiness. I do realize the positive outlook types (2, 7, 9) may moment-to-moment feel pretty good, but they may be experiencing overall existential despair just like any of us.

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], I remember reading at some point that 6s tend to have an "amnesia of success" - I guess because we don't trust ourselves, we tend to forget how good we can be, and we chronically underestimate ourselves. I think the perception that our personal type is the worst type (or that there is a "worst type") to be might partially fall under that - tending to block out your successes and focus on your trouble spots, and seeing yourself as less than others.

The consensus seems to be that 4s have it the hardest but honestly, being a 4 seems like a piece of cake from my perspective. Being a phobic NF 6 is hell; you don't know what you want, you're plain, you're boring, a coward, you feel ugly, everything scares you, you feel like you're on a one-way trip to oblivion every consecutive day. You go through a mid-life crisis by the time you reach puberty. Unlike 4s, we don't like feeling this way. We don't make classic indie albums or pretty art house films out of our suffering, we fear it and don't know what to do with it.

Of course, all types can be insecure and indecisive, but for 6s, that's what average level looks like. Every other type at average level is either likeable, interesting or feels good about themselves (even if it's detrimental), whereas average 6s are just passive-aggressive neurotic plain janes who life life in fear 24/7 [...]

There's literally no positive twist you can give to being an average-level phobic NF 6, we pretty much have to be at extremely healthy levels to enjoy our lives and stand out as people. We're the guys rappers are reffering to when they talk about "b-tch n-ggas". Being an NT or SJ 6 is probably alright in comparison. I'm sure some people "like" us, but we're too insecure to even see that or accept it for what it is (the same goes for any positive trait or talent that we may have), and that's why I say it's a sh-tty existence.

I respectfully disagree. :)

From my personal perspective, there are many things I appreciate about our personality combination. Of course it is hard, sometimes. I certainly am indecisive and probably experienced my first midlife crisis around age 6, but I feel attractive at least energy-wise if not physically. I don't really care if others find me interesting, though I do want them to like me. And I have my downs, but I like my self and my life.

On the positive side:

I feel than an NFP 6 will do well at being mindful of themself and their values. We generally will act responsibly and be respectful of, if not helpful to, others.

I feel that an NFP 6 will have a rare gift of connection with the average person, and an ability to draw people out of themselves. Personally I have often gotten the positive feedback that people feel more in touch with themselves after interacting with me. I feel like I can get in touch with someone's "inner self" and be encouraging of it without pushing myself on them, and I try to make all individual voices heard in a crowd.

I feel than an NFP 6 will be head-in-the-clouds like most of our NFP brethren, but we will probably also have more of a practical side, and take pretty good care of our life security. Personally I feel like I've set myself up pretty well in education, work, legal, relationship, family, housing, personal possessions, health, and so on.

I like how NF lets me have my big dreams but 6 keeps my feet on the ground. I feel like I live in a world imbued with magic, but I'm not one to shy away from work, either. I can be happy with a "normal" job where I'm directly helping others and then coming home to my boyfriend and family at night... I think my "average" life is beautiful and meaningful and precious and FUN... I don't experience despair for the mundane. I rejoice in the little things and it makes my heart swell to feel connected with the world.

The thing about 6s is that double focus on the Systemic dimension.

It makes us very concerned about a Higher Order: truth, justice, etc.

So, when we are on, I think we feel a certain connection to/channeling of that Higher Order.

Which would jibe well with the idea that our Holy Virtue is Courage/Faith and our Vice Cowardice/Lack of Faith.

Yes! I forgot about this. It explains a lot about why 6s are often stereotyped as "company men", doesn't it? That one always seemed baffling to me but I understand it in this light, because of the gravitation towards/obsession with hierarchy and systems. But it also gives us some very unique gifts... like you said, courage/faith when we are not struggling against ourselves. We can move forwards with a sense of systemic rightness and we have a particular knack for understanding how to use systems in the way they are meant to be used - a knack for understanding and optimizing the synergy that is the point of them. When the system is working correctly, everything falls in place. We know this and we seek this. But it's like the real System - the true Higher Order - is not present already... the existing ones are lacking, trapped in time and place, and disconnected - so we have to forge it in our daily lives, flow it, create it. And 6s can do this because we are the ones most attuned to the trouble spots that prevent flow... we are least likely to get tripped up by them. But we can't get too caught up in it - we have to keep moving. We can't obsess over our personal ability or we lose the flow and the confidence, and everything breaks down.

That is all probably very NF-tinged. :tongue:

Also, as @Rasofy said, 9's are pretty bad at articulating their needs to others, which can make relationships on all levels difficult.

Yeah. But there is also something about 9s that is so soothing to me. They are somewhat disconnected from what I struggle to pull myself away from. It's lovely to be around.

It is fucking tiresome to non-stop have to prove your loyalty - but I wager it must be even more tiresome to nonstop have to run that calculation coz you re triggered by your insecurities.

It is. It really helps for others to understand that it has absolutely nothing to do with them and everything to do with the 6's ability to trust their own personal judgment. So if someone's 6 SO is "questioning" them... it's not really questioning that person's loyalty as much as it is questioning the 6's own decision to trust that person. Which is still relatively shitty, but it's less shitty, at least.

My boyfriend has taken to just telling me to cut it out. The funny thing is there's some kind of comfort to the submission that comes along with just agreeing to it. Like not having to fight it anymore. There's this Rumi quote - Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. It's like that. 6s have to stop worrying.

While all the other types form cliques in highschool, the loner 3w4s just swoop in and steal everyone's girlfriends when they're not studying for exams or prepping for an NBC internship.

Yeah. 3w4s have a way of seeming perfecter-than-perfect that is very hard to stand. :laugh:

Oh man 3s have it hard too but they keep the shit inside. [...] sometimes never really fully appreciating their accomplishments... that's why many are insecure attention whores) but at same time, resentment builds if there's no real passion [...] Being driven by external validation and standards can fuck with one's mind if you're not careful though.

Yeah... I was really jealous of this 3w4 because it seemed like she always came out on top for everything... until we became good friends. Then I learned her demons. She's really kind of insecure in some ways... she's still trying to prove herself to her parents who aren't emotionally supportive people. They had a nasty divorce and still argue about who should pay for what for the kids, and sometimes use the kids as pawns in their fighting. It was sad to realize that so many of her accomplishments didn't essentially matter because the people she was ultimately looking to validation for weren't responding - her mom is a go-go-go 7, I think, and her dad is a hyperindependent introvert, and they're both fairly absorbed in their personal lives. It's funny because 6s (and probably other enneatypes) look at all those accomplishments and think about how happy they would be if they could accomplish all that. But we don't understand... that for a 3, the accomplishments don't make them feel like they'd make us feel. It can be empty for them. She is very talented at many things, academically successful, a leader, very well groomed, dresses stylishly, makes plenty of money, has a promising career, and comes from an affluent family, but inside she's kind of lonely and always pushing herself towards the next thing. It's like Midas dying of hunger...

Lesson being that there's no reason to be jealous of other types, really. If you're not messed up in one place, you're messed up in another. :shrug:

Better to all help one another struggle through our challenges and pain :heart:

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
every one has a multitude of reasons why their life is sooo hard. me i think life is relatively simple for me this moment in time cuz i dont care

R

ReflecTcelfeR

This thread definitely hits home that I am a six and "systemic" thinking is a magnificent and brilliant way of defining this plague, and I wholly concur on the amount of perceived antagonizations and mental breakdowns which I have not enough limbs on my body to count; though this makes me sound incredibly stupid, reading non-fiction is helping me grasp reality as it becomes a vehicle I can use to facilitate myself toward trusting the world. It builds up my logic enough to counterbalance modicums of irrationality that lurk in my thoughts and it makes me feel more self reliant. Granting me self-efficacy and the self-respect to believe that I actually can achieve.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, OrangeAppled has said what I was going to mention:

I think this has something to do with them being at the bottom of the enneagram. The gap between the 4 & 5 is some kind of void they have a connection to (or a disconnect from the energies of the other types; "outsiders"), and 9 forms a triad with that void (being at the top, in the middle), which makes them the withdrawn triad. The proximity of 6 to 5 would bring an element of this to them & I find it easy to see (even though they seem to feel it more than appear as "outsiders"), but I'm not sure why it doesn't apply so clearly to 3s.

Naranjo states that the types on the "bottom" of the enneagram (e.g. 4 and 5) suffer the most, and the ones on the "top" suffer the least. So basically, being a 4 or 5 means you're going to suffer and be deprived. But should we equate these two attributes with "having it hardest"?

I can tell you from my personal experience that my father (6w5) is a lot more negative even than I am. He worries himself crazy and is constantly trying to ascertain what people "really mean". I'm GLAD I don't have his neuroses; likewise, I'm sure he's glad he doesn't share my sense of self-loathing which can be very brutal.

I can also tell you that it's not great being a "non-suffering" 9. My step-father is an unhealthy 9, and I have never met a more miserable person. He expends SO MUCH energy repressing his own anger that he's become clinically depressed, lies around in physical pain all day, and can't seem to come to terms with the fact that his daughters are all grown up. He lives in the past and becomes highly unnerved and enraged when this breaches his conscious mind. Nines, when unhealthy, just sort of see life as a miserable thing to be "gotten through" and wallow in (even while denying) their own misery. They put up with all sorts of unreasonable demands to the point that no one respects them, and drive their lives straight into a ditch. I've seen it--so even if they're less in tune with their own suffering and alienation, I doubt life is much easier for them.

It's not that awesome being an 8, either, I'd imagine (based on my 8-fix and that of my father). It's more or less a constant state of combat against humanity and the forces of the physical world, being disliked for it, and not being able to muster the energy to care (which of course often works to your detriment later on). When I go into this mode, it feels like I have to push, excessively, to get anything worthwhile done, except it's like pushing water--kinda useless and frustrating, right? I don't think that's having it very "easy", either.

So um, yeah, it's clear I'm advocating that really, no type has it better or worse, just different struggles and neuroses.

The consensus seems to be that 4s have it the hardest but honestly, being a 4 seems like a piece of cake from my perspective. Being a phobic NF 6 is hell; you don't know what you want, you're plain, you're boring, a coward, you feel ugly, everything scares you, you feel like you're on a one-way trip to oblivion every consecutive day. You go through a mid-life crisis by the time you reach puberty. Unlike 4s, we don't like feeling this way. We don't make classic indie albums or pretty art house films out of our suffering, we fear it and don't know what to do with it.
I can agree being a 6 sounds like it has its downside. I have enough of a 6-fix to have seen that come into play myself. It's about equally miserable to being a 4 when I'm like this, but differently. I don't like feeling either way, but the things I dislike about myself are simply a part of my identity--I've never actually made a beautiful piece of art around my suffering, however. I just endured it.

You'll be interested I did go through a midlife crisis in my teens, though. LOL.

Of course, all types can be insecure and indecisive, but for 6s, that's what average level looks like. Every other type at average level is either likeable, interesting or feels good about themselves (even if it's detrimental), whereas average 6s are just passive-aggressive neurotic plain janes who life life in fear 24/7.
I'd say average 6s are quite likeable and more interesting than they give themselves credit for.

Heres how the other types at average health compare:

1 - Decisive, they know exactly what they want and how they want to live their lives.

2 - Positive outlook. They're charitable, have great social skills and people like them.

3 - They enjoy hard work, thus achieve status easily. Everyone envies them, they get all the ho's, they're focused. Not a single day goes by where their ego isn't stroked. They're great, and they know it. I doubt their farts even smell bad.

4 - Sure, they torture themselves with emotion, but this feels good to them. It gives them a sense of purpose, it makes them feel unique. With 6s its just pure, inescapable dread that you just wish would end. They're also creative, unique and stand out, and never put a filter on their imagination. We're plain janes compared to them.

Having an identity and a solid perception of who you are>>>>>>>Being a boring confused mess

5 - They're intellegent and decisive

7 - They're positive-outlook, assertive, confident and they're always having fun without fear. They never dwell on anything. They contribute energy to a group dynamic.

8 - They're assertive, aggressive and confident.

9 - Positive outlook. People like them and they never worry about anything.

There's literally no positive twist you can give to being an average-level phobic NF 6, we pretty much have to be at extremely healthy levels to enjoy our lives and stand out as people. We're the guys rappers are reffering to when they talk about "b-tch n-ggas". Being an NT or SJ 6 is probably alright in comparison. I'm sure some people "like" us, but we're too insecure to even see that or accept it for what it is (the same goes for any positive trait or talent that we may have), and that's why I say it's a sh-tty existence.
I strongly identify with the bolded.

As stated, 4s don't feel good about their bad emotions, they simply feel they need to experience them or else they're depriving themselves of the experience. Speaking for myself this doesn't make me feel unique, but simply alone and alienated. Sure, 4s can be creative and stand out, but a) this is generally a compensation for feeling like shit underneath and b) serves to alienate them from others further. Weird people creep other people out, you know?

Average 4s are not all successful, hip artist, trust me. Most of us just write crap poetry and dress like we think we're artists, without the real talent to show for it (or at least we'e too ashamed to show any amateur creation we've scratched out). The best we can do is make ourselves into something of an "art". And so people read us as pretentious, contrived, and vain. They seem to admire us (from afar), but they don't really like us, and they certainly don't want to befriend, date, or hire us. The gulf between you & other people as a 4 is really hard, especially as the desire to connect deeply is perhaps strongest with us.
LOL, this.

4s don't really enjoy negative emotion either. It's just preferred to the alternative - the mundane & everyday meaninglessness which throws our own insignificance into our faces. I guess you could say we have outlets, but they tend to fuel the sense of alienation or the pretentious persona others reject. 6s get more sympathy... 4s freak people out or depress them by reminding them of stuff they don't want to think about.
And this. Sixes are people I envy for their ability to naturally form human relationships. Even when they're depressive, or being downers, they don't get called that to their face and ostracized.

Let me reiterate: It sucks having an enneagram type.

I think that whether or not they actually have it the hardest, 4, 5, and 6 make up an unspoken for enneagram triad. I'm not as clear on its counterparts or what defines these triads (perceived personal resources, maybe). 8 and 7 are probably in the same group, as are 2 and 3.
4, 5, 6 = The "What's wrong with me?? I'm not good enough except under very specific circumstances" triad
7, 8, 9 = The "I don't really care what you think as long as I personally am doing OK" triad
1, 2, 3 = The "I'm better and more competent than you and will show you how" triad

Just a thought? You can arrange them however you want. The similarities are always there.

Starry

7 - They're positive-outlook, assertive, confident and they're always having fun without fear. They never dwell on anything. They contribute energy to a group dynamic.

I've got a relatively good hand in life (I could be starving or missing a limb), so as a positive-outlook e-type I'd be pretty damn happy about alot of things. As a 6 I feel like I'm just wasting and under appreciating it.

Just *tossing this out there* that...oh maybe...half ??? Approximately half of the e7s out there...are in fact inescapably bound to that never-ending nightmare you and so many others here have attributed to the e6 bastard. And because of this...I am requesting to have the 'life difficulty' rating for the 7w6 increased to...at the very least mid-range please. Thank you.

With regards to e7s in general...and in light of the comments you and others have made concerning positive-outlook... I should quickly add that if everything stays 'relatively good' like you indicate above...positive-outlook will be your best friend. If you wake-up one day...and notice your entire life has been sucked into a black hole and you didn't see it coming...a phenomenon many e7s have documented having happened to them... that's positive-outlook majorly back-firing and taking a massively-big shit on you. So, I guess the question is...how often do things stay perpetually 'relatively good' in one's life?...and how deceiving can *looks* often be? Most e7s don't get the help they need because the *gift* of positive-outlook prevents anyone from knowing help is needed...including the e7.

Yes, life is so easy...until suddenly...it becomes hard.

rose_colored_glasses.jpg

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
With regards to e7s in general...and in light of the comments you and others have made concerning positive-outlook... I should quickly add that if everything stays 'relatively good' like you indicate above...positive-outlook will be your best friend. If you wake-up one day...and notice your entire life has been sucked into a black hole and you didn't see it coming...a phenomenon many e7s have documented having happened to them... that's positive-outlook majorly back-firing and taking a massively-big shit on you. So, I guess the question is...how often do things stay perpetually 'relatively good' in one's life?...and how deceiving can *looks* often be? Most e7s don't get the help they need because the *gift* of positive-outlook prevents anyone from knowing help is needed...including the e7.

Interesting...

Largely because of this thread, this morning I was thinking about the effect of positive thinking on one's ability to accurately assess a situation and form objective judgements about things. I used to think about this a lot, years ago, and sided with being objective over being positive. My job qt the time was essentially dependent/based on objectivity, though. Now, my work involves more people-focus, and I think the calculus is different. (sounds a lot like T vs F) Anyway, I spent the day forcing myself to think positively, something which I haven't done in a long while, and it really did make things a lot better. Fuck everything else, having a positive attitude just makes life more enjoyable. I think, ultimately, what you gotta realize is: when is it time/what are the things about which I must put on the serious face and be all objective-like, and when are the times/what are the things about which it's better to just put on a smile and be a positive force.

As for your description, Starry, that's how I've always felt about e7s (and e3s, in a similar, albeit somewhat different way): under the positivity on the surface lies what likely either is or has a very good chance of turning into a train wreck, due to unwillingness to realistically/objectively assess what is going on in their lives. "Oh, yeah, snorting this line and having sex with this stranger who I'm pretending is my super close friend but who I really don't know jackshit about is EXACTLY what will make my life PERFECT right now *brushes under the rug the fact that if he/she had to spend the next hour alone in a room they would probably drive themselves up the fucking walls trying to not think about everything that's going wrong in their life that they're actually CONSTANTLY trying to not think about/avoid, and thus never actually effectively dealing with/resolving* *snnnnnnnnnort* *awwww* *where were we?*"

/ apparently could only remain positive for one paragraph :p

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but drama is fun.. =)
It can be, but the problem is that newbies come here expecting to discuss typology. When all they see is useless conflict... They leave.

Then when regular members leave the forum (it's a natural process), there aren't nearly enough newbies to replace the void and keep the forum going.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It can be, but the problem is that newbies come here expecting to discuss typology. When all they see is useless conflict... They leave.

Then when regular members leave the forum (it's a natural process), there aren't nearly enough newbies to replace the void and keep the forum going.

hm i guess so, i suppose im just kind of emotionally insensitive so i dont take that much notice? =|
i suppose, i see conflicts as an opportunity to learn.

S

Stansmith

Just *tossing this out there* that...oh maybe...half ??? Approximately half of the e7s out there...are in fact inescapably bound to that never-ending nightmare you and so many others here have attributed to the e6 bastard. And because of this...I am requesting to have the 'life difficulty' rating for the 7w6 increased to...at the very least mid-range please. Thank you.

rose_colored_glasses.jpg

I certainly get your point, but as an 18 year old in the prime of his life, I'd much rather have e7 problems than e6. I see the value in being an e6 troubleshooter when you're in your 30s or 40s, but being an e6 is a teenager or young adult is an absolute waste of youth. You should be happy go-lucky, whimsical, euphoric and impulsive at 18 years old, that's the point of youth. You have lots of fun, f-ck up a bunch of times, and move forward. As a young 6, you're basically behaving like an old woman and depriving yourself of any worthwhile experiences.

S

Stansmith

Interesting...

Largely because of this thread, this morning I was thinking about the effect of positive thinking on one's ability to accurately assess a situation and form objective judgements about things. I used to think about this a lot, years ago, and sided with being objective over being positive. My job qt the time was essentially dependent/based on objectivity, though. Now, my work involves more people-focus, and I think the calculus is different. (sounds a lot like T vs F) Anyway, I spent the day forcing myself to think positively, something which I haven't done in a long while, and it really did make things a lot better. Fuck everything else, having a positive attitude just makes life more enjoyable. I think, ultimately, what you gotta realize is: when is it time/what are the things about which I must put on the serious face and be all objective-like, and when are the times/what are the things about which it's better to just put on a smile and be a positive force.

As for your description, Starry, that's how I've always felt about e7s (and e3s, in a similar, albeit somewhat different way): under the positivity on the surface lies what likely either is or has a very good chance of turning into a train wreck, due to unwillingness to realistically/objectively assess what is going on in their lives. "Oh, yeah, snorting this line and having sex with this stranger who I'm pretending is my super close friend but who I really don't know jackshit about is EXACTLY what will make my life PERFECT right now *brushes under the rug the fact that if he/she had to spend the next hour alone in a room they would probably drive themselves up the fucking walls trying to not think about everything that's going wrong in their life that they're actually CONSTANTLY trying to not think about/avoid, and thus never actually effectively dealing with/resolving* *snnnnnnnnnort* *awwww* *where were we?*"

Then you have 6 on the opposite end of the spectrum keeping you from stepping outside in the morning.

3 is probably the best type to be anyway. They're realistic, pragmatic and win. Once they integrate to 6 they're considerate winners that know themselves. When we integrate to 9 we just become a bunch of weird hippies or polygamist nomads. If an unhealthy 3 is a prime Michael Jordan (who was a douchebag), then it can't be that bad. Certain types of unhealthy are much more respected than others, IMO.

e3 and e6 relationship summed up:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
You should be happy go-lucky, whimsical, euphoric and impulsive at 18 years old, that's the point of youth. You have lots of fun, f-ck up a bunch of times, and move forward.

That's debatable.

-----

Listen, you are 18. Some of what you are feeling is just about being 18, not about being any enneagram type in particular. (At least to my 'old' ears.) Some of your peers who look like they've got it "easiest" on the surface of living, consider that perhaps they don't ... be careful how you make those comparative judgements, is all I'm saying. It can be a huge blind spot.

I can think of pros and cons to each enneagram type, and that's how these things go.

Naranjo states that the types on the "bottom" of the enneagram (e.g. 4 and 5) suffer the most, and the ones on the "top" suffer the least.

This is so irritating. No wonder 9s trick themselves into believing they have no problems since no one actually believes they matter.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
This is so irritating. No wonder 9s trick themselves into believing they have no problems since no one actually believes they matter.

The irony is that certain wiring predisposes one to believe they have it harder anyway, regardless of the experience of the other ... so :shrug: I hear you.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

rose_colored_glasses.jpg

This is no joke.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting...

Yeah for sure that's probably accurate for a lot of 7's I mean all the rock star partiers 7's out there.

The distraction thing is true... Constantly filling up your head with things... Over analyzing things to death, researching shit online... Often just random what if or this would be cool interesting shit that has no basis on your actual immediate reality... Cuz yeah that stuff is often too stressful to deal with.

And the messed up part is that we don't even know we're doing it most of the time. It just is the way we naturally conduct ourselves.

I hate it.

And when I become aware of it I put a stop to it and take care if what I need to but it's like you're constantly battling your natural instincts.