User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

That's interesting. I think my infj mother might be a 5w4. I have always admired her seemingly non existant need for others. She so self contained and content seeming.

She just paints or gardens and is totally protective of her time to pursue her solitary pursuits.

I don't live nearby and I'm sure if I did she'd enjoy spending time with me often but she really seems at peace just doing her thing all the time.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    My dating life has always sucked. It took me like 4 years studying seduction/body language/relationships before I managed to get my first kiss... With a women I met online. I was already 22 by that point.
    Ok, well 5's win it for me!

hardest by far!(don't know if I can get away with pun intended)

And in that case either wing blows.(also intended?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I always avoid giving reasons for anyone -myself included-, to feel pity for me, so the idea of measuring my suffering is kinda alien. I wouldn't even know how to start, but I liked Redbone's description.

Yea, but...but...come on guy, compassion is what makes an idealistic world go round
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Ok, well 5's win it for me!

Now I want to @Stansmith to surrender too.

hardest by far!(don't know if I can get away with pun intended)

And in that case either wing blows.(also intended?)

Yea, but...but...come on guy, compassion is what makes an idealistic world go round
    Save your compassion for the weak. Also, this ain't no Disneyland.

“Pressure makes diamonds”.

― George S. Patton
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I don't think any other type can compete with 4 self-loathing.

Sorry, try again next time

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    But do 5s personally experience a sense of suffering because of these things and how acute is that suffering? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of stuff in there (social ineptitude, isolation, etc.) that sounds unpleasant, but I also kind of have the impression that 5s enjoy being remote because it gives them a feeling of safety and superiority.

I'm interested not so much in what provokes the suffering but in the quality of the suffering itself and what it feels like.
    I like how you mention the acuteness of the suffering; it's an important notion. To me even the idea of an acute emotion conjures up feelings and fears of becoming engulfed in that emotion and the immediate defense is to use the evil machinery of my mind to strip that emotion of that kind of power. It's so powerful a reflex that I don't know if I can even answer the "acuteness" question honestly.

But I'll try. At the core, I think the "suffering" is felt (and occurs) at a slower, deeper level that resembles more the lengthy process of erosion rather than the some sort of acute impact. Over time, the difficulty/fear of crossing the "distance" between the 5 and the world can wear away both the desire to reach out and one's confidence in their ability to do so. The 5 starts feeling that they cannot really share themselves effectively with the world and so they retreat. And this distance slowly increases until the 5 can feel that life, the world, their desires, a relationship; these things aren't really available to them anymore. I think all 5s feel, at times, with varying frequency based on health, incapable of and/or confined by true connection with the world and with people. It is fundamentally an erosion of will and agency, a suppression of some pretty basic needs.

The 5's detachment certainly makes them feel safe and they feel like it's the only way they can objectively analyze and prepare for experience and emotion. But saying it makes them superior? I think they can view "engulfed" beings with disdain because they watch these people experience these turbulent emotions and think that if they were properly prepared/detached/intelligent enough they would have avoided the emotion entirely, which as far as the 5 is concerned, is of utmost importance. So that's where that might come from.

I'm not sure if that answers the question, or is descriptive enough. But I can certainly expand.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

okay first of all....wow

that's bananas....i never knew all that.

scondly...hth does that work being an sx dom? you just get more involved and lost in your intellectual pursuits?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I don't think any other type can compete with 4 self-loathing.

Sorry, try again next time
    At least you heart types get to be naturally sexy. 4w3s can't open a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon without looking graceful as hell. Every single body movement a 4w3/3w4 makes looks like human perfection

Image type:

Head Type:

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    okay first of all....wow

that's bananas....i never knew all that.

scondly...hth does that work being an sx dom? you just get more involved and lost in your intellectual pursuits?
    As you might guess, an sx 5 is going to feel very conflicted because they’re going to desire a type of abstract merging from far away but while under the experience of the merge they will begin to dread it and feel out of control. This tends to be why they’re very hot/cold with their attention and desire and can selfishly try to dictate how interaction is handled on their own schedule of what they can withstand. It is a pendulum of: idealize the connection from a distance, leap to satisfy the ideal, quickly become drained, be afraid of becoming engulfed and confined, then pulling away. Also, the instinct quality always adopts an element of the main type, so in 5s the sx connection is typically one of free exchange of “intimate” information, secrets, confidentiality, information only between the two; as to 5s, information is power over the self, power over the world. Sx 5s can feel like their inner thoughts/worlds are somewhat frightening to others so their secret hope is to share their minds secretly with a singular, trusted individual who will not shun their eccentricity. Sx 5s do have a slightly more obsessive energy with regards to their pursuits, to address your last question.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

That's very interesting. Thanks for explaining that all so well. The sx conflicts with the 7 a bit too so in a sense I can feel what that's like.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I like how you mention the acuteness of the suffering; it's an important notion. To me even the idea of an acute emotion conjures up feelings and fears of becoming engulfed in that emotion and the immediate defense is to use the evil machinery of my mind to strip that emotion of that kind of power. It's so powerful a reflex that I don't know if I can even answer the "acuteness" question honestly.

But I'll try. At the core, I think the "suffering" is felt (and occurs) at a slower, deeper level that resembles more the lengthy process of erosion rather than the some sort of acute impact. Over time, the difficulty/fear of crossing the "distance" between the 5 and the world can wear away both the desire to reach out and one's confidence in their ability to do so. The 5 starts feeling that they cannot really share themselves effectively with the world and so they retreat. And this distance slowly increases until the 5 can feel that life, the world, their desires, a relationship; these things aren't really available to them anymore. I think all 5s feel, at times, with varying frequency based on health, incapable of and/or confined by true connection with the world and with people. It is fundamentally an erosion of will and agency, a suppression of some pretty basic needs.

The 5's detachment certainly makes them feel safe and they feel like it's the only way they can objectively analyze and prepare for experience and emotion. But saying it makes them superior? I think they can view "engulfed" beings with disdain because they watch these people experience these turbulent emotions and think that if they were properly prepared/detached/intelligent enough they would have avoided the emotion entirely, which as far as the 5 is concerned, is of utmost importance. So that's where that might come from.

I'm not sure if that answers the question, or is descriptive enough. But I can certainly expand.

I relate to essentially all of this (eerily so), except the part toward the end- I don't really feel "disdain for" or a sense of superiority over more emotionally reactive people. I do empathetically feel where they're coming from, and sure, ideally, it'd be wonderful if people could pause, and think more often before reacting.. but I accept this is no easy feat, and that perhaps I may be at a deficit at times for remaining stoic, as well. I'm also not a 100% robot, either, so who am I to judge? I can feel quite drained/frustrated by the reactivity, however, and I suppose some of that comes from being more analytic when it comes to intense emotions.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.