User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Results 241 to 250 of 454

  1. #241
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    The 2 can get all that easily unless their country is in the midst of a civil war or something.
    I disagree. I dated an ISFJ 2 for a good period of time, and I've kept in touch with her since. She has wifey material written all over her, but no men our age are seeking such a thing.

    She's with a guy right now, but she has expressed to me she doesn't feel he is 'in it', much how the men before have cheated or otherwise broke her heart. She truly is a doormat.

    Que Pearl Jam, "Betterman". Never have I known such existential longing.

  2. #242
    Awake Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I don't think really 7 saves 6, because technically our wing kind of screws with us too. Keeping our minds occupied by go-go-going feels better than being mired in worry but it doesn't actually address the underlying anxiety - it almost makes it worse, in some ways! And makes us do silly impulsive things sometimes.
    At the time I hit the submit button on the post you refer to above...I was under the impression the way I wrote what I did there would be no chance of it being taken as anything other than 'tongue in cheek' sentiments... But in case I gauged that wrong... what you wrote here is an aspect of my overall message to Stansmith (although I take 'impulsivity' very seriously and...basically consider it a form of art <--A part of me wants to put a 'haha' there but the truth is I'm actually not joking!) I wanted Stansmith to know that despite appearances...the 7w6 shares and has compassion for a very similar experience.



    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Enneagram 6 is not just any one function.

    But there is definitely a correlation between it and Pi.

    The Ni side of things often seems to be more counterphobic, as it is less compliant, more questioning.

    The Si side of things often seems to be more phobic, as it is more compliant, less questioning.

    There are Ne, Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, and Te flavors to e6 as well, tho.

    But the strongest correlation is definitely Pi.


    If TypoC had...not an 'emergency' notification per se... but rather like a... 'in need of immediate assistance' notification system I would of hit that yesterday...calling you to the thread. I didn't quite know what was going on haha...but I knew something was *going* because I was no longer understanding the responses...yet had to leave. Thank you for adding/explaining this.
    (edit: I'm now laughing at the little old man.)

    look here @Stansmith



    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    @Starry I've never heard any mention of that. 7w6 being ne/ni ??? That's kinda awesomely interesting.
    I can see how 6 is like ni paranoia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    oh i get what you mean...ambivert in the straddling the line between introverting or extraverting a function...yeah...for m it feels right that it would be ne ni but maybe it feels different to someone else according to their dom functions?

    I caused confusion by not dedicating enough thoughtful explanation as it pertains to the 2 (different) types of 'ambivertness' I was making reference to. First with regards to e6...

    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Zarathustra used the word 'ambivert'... [which] fits my understanding of e6 individuals as well. In that they tend to be right on that line between introversion and extroversion. Or they score fairly equally...use equally...their dom & aux functions.
    So, like you correctly gathered and relayed back to me... e6 individuals tend to functionally 'straddle the line between introversion & extroversion.' And like Z said...the correlation is definitely with Pi... But ultimately with e6 it will be some near equal usage of perception & judgement.

    As a matter of personal interest however...I have been keeping track of another kind of 'ambivert'...which so far...appears to be a bit more rare...


    Although I should quickly say that I am an ambivert of sorts...but I score equally in Ne & Ni...so with it being all iNtuition puts me into e7...(which, interestingly, is a common thing see specifically in e7w6 sx only. The rest of e7dom is heavy Ne or Se.)
    I caused confusion by attempting to avoid it <--which ever since my 6-wing kicked-in...this is just how things seem to play-out for me (that's 75% joke and 25% truth skylights haha!) Since I had posted my function scores in Stansmith's ENFP thread...and here was discussing E/I and e6... I thought I should note the difference.

    I know I'm making near equal usage of Ne & Ni. I believe that is what you are doing as well. <--Now, while that may in fact make us more 6ish... it doesn't make us into actual e6s...and my crack-pot theory on this is because it is ALL perception (not a combination of perception & judgment)...it still functions like the 'heavy Pe' which is a distinguishing characteristic of the e7. What has been interesting to me...is that every time I have seen this...which has been very rare...it has been in an individual I believe to be a 7w6 sx. From what I understand though...7w6 sx is pretty rare so...

  3. #243
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    How did you get to that point? (assuming you've gone through a period of lower health)
    Yeah, I definitely have. Though I also definitely don't claim to be at great health now, probably just around average, with good and bad days.

    I was at a great level around 3 years ago, in my last year of college. I was a leader on campus, taking a heavy courseload of advanced topics, working at a job I loved, finishing the honor program, involved in social groups, and very, very happy. Then, as I think many post-grads experience, I had the sudden loss of all of that. I graduated, moved, took the summer off, and decided to start working - all of a sudden my status was gone, my interesting courses were gone, my fulfilling job was gone, and my friends were gone. That hit me really hard, especially when I took a part-time holiday retail job which was absolute shit. I finished off the holiday season, but had no desire to work there ever again, and it was at that point that I probably hit my lowest. I have always been an overachiever, and this was really the first time in my life I had no arena for overachievement. I blamed myself for becoming so "worthless" in my own eyes - my fall from grace. (6's stress point being 3...)

    So, at that point, I essentially didn't care about anything, except my family, and I discovered a curious kind of freedom in that - if I didn't care, it didn't really matter what I did. So I started doing whatever made me happy, without negative judgment from myself. At the encouragement of my parents, I took a chance on another job, which was still shitty but less so, and more importantly I began socializing again. I think that for me as an ExFx that was really vital to my improvement. I met a lot of crazy people, but a lot of good ones, too, and I started taking care of myself better because I cared about how the people at work perceived me. Then I met my future boyfriend, avoided him for a while because I had no self-confidence, finally caved to letting him take me on a date because conversation with him was actually very interesting, and from that point had a major crush which caused me to up my game a lot.

    From there it's mainly been uphill, with a few bumps along the road. I moved up in my job, I've moved into my own beautiful new place, I'm starting classes again this semester, thank god, and I'm hoping to get back into yoga. I'm still an anxious 6 but I don't flip out at everything anymore, and I don't hate myself for all my perceived "failures" (though they are still a sore spot).

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Enneagram 6 is not just any one function.

    But there is definitely a correlation between it and Pi.
    This is true. I assume it has to do with 6's burning desire to know what's coming. We have two main avenues for that: Ni forecasting and Si experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    At the time I hit the submit button on the post you refer to above...I was under the impression the way I wrote what I did there would be no chance of it being taken as anything other than 'tongue in cheek' sentiments... But in case I gauged that wrong... what you wrote here is an aspect of my overall message to Stansmith (although I take 'impulsivity' very seriously and...basically consider it a form of art <--A part of me wants to put a 'haha' there but the truth is I'm actually not joking!) I wanted Stansmith to know that despite appearances...the 7w6 shares and has compassion for a very similar experience.
    Hurr durr, I'm having a dumb day on my end. Forgive please!

    Anyway yes, impulsivity is definitely an art! You 7s are probably better at it, but I agree that overall it seems 7/6 and 6/7 often share a lot of experience. We just have slightly different priorities.

    Your theorizing on Ne/Ni/Pe/Pi/ambiversion is interesting... I'm inclined to trust your hunches cause you're a Ne dom I wonder what about sx influences that for 7w6.

  4. #244
    ¤ Zarathustra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    7,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    If TypoC had...not an 'emergency' notification per se... but rather like a... 'in need of immediate assistance' notification system I would of hit that yesterday...calling you to the thread. I didn't quite know what was going on haha...but I knew something was *going* because I was no longer understanding the responses...yet had to leave. Thank you for adding/explaining this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I know I'm making near equal usage of Ne & Ni. I believe that is what you are doing as well. <--Now, while that may in fact make us more 6ish... it doesn't make us into actual e6s...and my crack-pot theory on this is because it is ALL perception (not a combination of perception & judgment)...it still functions like the 'heavy Pe' which is a distinguishing characteristic of the e7. What has been interesting to me...is that every time I have seen this...which has been very rare...it has been in an individual I believe to be a 7w6 sx. From what I understand though...7w6 sx is pretty rare so...
    Seems to me Ne would be your dominant function, and correlated with e7, and then as your 6-wing developed, that was associated with developing your opposite personality Ni. Ne/e7 tell you, "Go!"; Ni/e6 tell you, "No!"
    The Justice Fighter

    INTJ - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

    "I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

    "Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

    The Aggressive 6
    Debator


  5. #245
    ¤ Zarathustra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    7,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    This is true. I assume it has to do with 6's burning desire to know what's coming. We have two main avenues for that: Ni forecasting and Si experience.
    I think other functions can be used for attempted forecasting (whether or not some are more suited to it).

    I think the Pi correlation with e6 is more due to the following: having an introverted perception function is like having a model of the world inside oneself, but that model is "irrational" (in a strictly Jungian sense -- i.e., "not something contrary to reason, but something outside the province of reason"), and, as such, is in a sense, vulnerable (in that, how can it be defended, if not by reason?). Enneagram 6 Si users tend to respond to this vulnerability in a sort of Sartrean "bad faith" manner, accepting some established doctrine they have accepted as "The Truth", and following it mindlessly (the common description of e6s, which I don't identify with at all); then, from the other side, we've got enneagram 6 Ni users, who tend to respond to the vulnerability in a more counterphobic way, rejecting established doctrines, while, at the same time, often being intensely interested in/curious about what they say/have to offer. There isn't a perfect 1:1 correlation here, or anything, I don't think, but I do think there is a reasonably strong one. I think NJ e6s would tend to identify as counterphobics at a much higher rate than SJ e6s. I also think the Te users would tend to correlate more with counterphobia, while Fe users would tend to correlate more with phobia. By that formula, NTJ e6s would tend to identify most highly with counterphobia (which I think is likely the case), while SFJ e6s would tend to identify most highly with phobia; and STJs and NFJs would probably find themselves somewhere in between. (my thoughts on FP and TP e6s aren't quite as well developed, so don't have as much to offer on that topic)
    The Justice Fighter

    INTJ - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

    "I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

    "Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

    The Aggressive 6
    Debator


  6. #246
    Expensive Handbasket Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    4,5,6 are like the Magikarps of the Enneagram.

    Per se, they are a piece of shit - and will likely continue that way.

    But... they have the chance of evolving to Gyarados.

    Some types are more like Pidgeys. They start off pretty good, but the room for improvement is smaller.

    Not that many people are gonna understand the analogies, but anyways.
    I get this...oh man, do I get this!!!!

    (I want to be a red one!)

  7. #247
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    5s, why does it suck to be you? Or are you going to lurk in the shadows and refuse to tell me?
    I think we 5s are unsuited for a lot of things. Routine jobs, retail, sports, acting, singing... you won't see many successful 5s in any of these fields.

    I've never fit well in groups. I usually ended up being the guy who people love to pick on... It seems instinctive for guys to do that with the quietest person around. Part of the reason why I've been addicted to video games for most of my life.

    I always need extensive knowledge in order to be comfortable with things that everyone seems to learn 'naturally'. "Just be yourself" is about the worst advice ever for me.

    My dating life has always sucked. It took me like 4 years studying seduction/body language/relationships before I managed to get my first kiss... With a women I met online. I was already 22 by that point.

    Now that I'm sort of dating an ESFJ E2, I've made an extensive search about INTPxESFJ + E2xE5 relationships (I've noticed a significant Enneagram/mbti overlap for both). So I have in mind dozens of permutations of how things may (or not) work out.

    I usually look either serious or sad, which makes me the person whom people dislike before they even know me.

    5s usually have a nihilistic side that most people hate. "Hey, that's not an intrinsic value." "That's ultimately a social construction, you know."

    5s seem to regard a lot of things as 'too obvious', without realizing that these things are not as obvious for a lot of people.


    5s are likely the worst possible companionship for parties. Unless they've had enough alcohol to make a fool of themselves and amuse other people by behaving like court jesters.

    Finally, we are probably the most frustrating romantic partners of the whole Enneagram theory. This post by Jennifer sums it quite well (though she was specifically talking about INTPs):

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    like this?

    "Hi, I'm an INTP and I have relational problems with the girl I am dating. (Note that I do not like to call her my girlfriend, because that is not quite the commitment I am making to her. I mean, I like her, but I am not quite sure we are compatible , and I should not have to make an obligation to her in a social way since we should both have freedom to decide when we want to come and go and not be bound by stupid human conventional or trivial social rituals.

    Anyway, she has been calling me a lot lately, but I ignore her calls because I am busy working on some things that are important to me. She seems to get overly emotional about this -- "I haven't seen you in five weeks, and you haven't returned my calls for two weeks, and when we are together you don't even talk to me, you just are always looking up stupid things on your cell phone, and you can't even remember the things I say to you" and then she starts crying, which is very embarrassing and makes me wonder whether I want to be in a relationship with such an emotional nutjob-- but really, she should understand that I am very busy and that I still like her even if I ignore her a lot of the time because I am busy... why can't she just find other thigns to do until we're both available. She is like codependent or something.

    Her sister tells her that she should dump my "sorry ass" (I do not understand why people speak in such vulgar ways or resort to violence, it's so barbaric!) And it is not even my ass anyway, it is all of me, technically, that she would be dumping, I cannot believe the lack of precision in those types of stupid comments by ignoramuses. And honestly, she is pleasant enough, and has a nice smile, but she's not really super-pretty or anything, and I have told her before that her odds of finding someone else if she dumps me aren't very good, realistically, so it makes more sense for her to stay with me. This sort of stupidyt happens a lot too, where she does not see the obvious and i need to explain it all to her so she gets it. I waste more time doing that than anything else, it seems -- correcting the dumb things she does so that she understands what is going on. It is like talking to a child.

    Anyway, now she is mad at me for missing our anniversary. I only forgot it by two days, and it is just an anniversary anyway. It is just another day of the year! Why does it even matter? If this is the way it is going to be, I wonder whether I want to be saddled with such a crazy woman. She is now telling me she will end up dating someone else if I don't pay more attention to her. I do not appreciate the emotional manipulation. Someone else told me I should just kiss her and see if that makes her feel better. Whatever. Does dating get any better than this? Why doess everyone have to be such a retard all the time? This society is all screwy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I get this...oh man, do I get this!!!!

    (I want to be a red one!)
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  8. #248
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I think we 5s are unsuited for a lot of things. Routine jobs, retail, sports, acting, singing... you won't see many successful 5s in any of these fields.

    I've never fit well in groups. I usually ended up being the guy who people love to pick on... It seems instinctive for guys to do that with the quietest person around. Part of the reason why I've been addicted to video games for most of my life.

    I always need extensive knowledge in order to be comfortable with things that everyone seems to learn 'naturally'. "Just be yourself" is about the worst advice ever for me.

    My dating life has always sucked. It took me like 4 years studying seduction/body language/relationships before I managed to get my first kiss... With a women I met online. I was already 22 by that point.

    Now that I'm sort of dating an ESFJ E2, I've made an extensive search about INTPxESFJ + E2xE5 relationships (I've noticed a significant Enneagram/mbti overlap for both). So I have in mind dozens of permutations of how things may (or not) work out.

    I usually look either serious or sad, which makes me the person whom people dislike before they even know me.

    5s usually have a nihilistic side that most people hate. "Hey, that's not an intrinsic value." "That's ultimately a social construction, you know."

    5s seem to regard a lot of things as 'too obvious', without realizing that these things are not as obvious for a lot of people.


    5s are likely the worst possible companionship for parties. Unless they've had enough alcohol to make a fool of themselves and amuse other people by behaving like court jesters.

    Finally, we are probably the most frustrating romantic partners of the whole Enneagram theory. This post by Jennifer sums it quite well (though she was specifically talking about INTPs):




    But do 5s personally experience a sense of suffering because of these things and how acute is that suffering? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of stuff in there (social ineptitude, isolation, etc.) that sounds unpleasant, but I also kind of have the impression that 5s enjoy being remote because it gives them a feeling of safety and superiority.

    I'm interested not so much in what provokes the suffering but in the quality of the suffering itself and what it feels like.

  9. #249
    Expensive Handbasket Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    But do 5s personally experience a sense of suffering because of these things and how acute is that suffering? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of stuff in there (social ineptitude, isolation, etc.) that sounds unpleasant, but I also kind of have the impression that 5s enjoy being remote because it gives them a feeling of safety and superiority.

    I'm interested not so much in what provokes the suffering but in the quality of the suffering itself and what it feels like.
    It's fine until I actually want or worse, need to come down out of the tower. And then it hits me that I built it a thousand miles away in the middle of nowhere. That feeling of safety and superiority collapses into a black hole then. What do I do? Go back inside? Start the long walk back to 'civilization' without knowing in advance what sort of reception I will get once I get there? I'm left torn between those two options.* I can never decide if there is more pain in the fact that I need someone to be there for me when everything goes black or more pain because there is no one there in those moments. Mostly because I haven't invested myself in having relationships with others so I can get support when I truly need it. Autonomy biting me in the ass at the worse moments.

    *Unless of course, I can lure someone out here to join me. I can cook very well, there's plenty of books to read, and nice places to explore.

    @Rasofy described it well. There is also the tremendous pain of realizing that one has spent so much time learning to live that very little actual living is done. Always preparing...never ready. It can be very hard to remember or have the courage to know that sometimes you just have to jump in there and dance.

  10. #250
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    But do 5s personally experience a sense of suffering because of these things and how acute is that suffering? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of stuff in there (social ineptitude, isolation, etc.) that sounds unpleasant, but I also kind of have the impression that 5s enjoy being remote because it gives them a feeling of safety and superiority.

    I'm interested not so much in what provokes the suffering but in the quality of the suffering itself and what it feels like.
    I always avoid giving reasons for anyone -myself included-, to feel pity for me, so the idea of measuring my suffering is kinda alien. I wouldn't even know how to start, but I liked Redbone's description.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

Similar Threads

  1. [E6] Are Type Sixes the hardest people to read in the MBTI?
    By Stansmith in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Which type gives you more cause to be afraid: the ENTJ or the INFJ
    By EricHanson in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
  4. What type do you think has the most potential to be successful?
    By G-Virus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO