• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hardest Type to be in The Enneagram

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Evidence that 5s are not in the least detached, really... They merely aspire to be. In fact, they are highly sensitive (and reactive) to the emotions and energy of others.
A genuinely detached person would not find another person's emotional outburst in any way perturbing.

I think [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] said something about 5s being territorial and having well-defended boundaries... If anything, they are territorial because they are acutely aware of how porous those boundaries are.

I would agree with that... non-porous boundaries don't require obsessive defining and defending (although, as Naranjo points out, some 5s are cut off from their emotional awareness, while others are all too aware).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah, the detachment is pathological which makes it not real detachment, something 5s sometimes aren't aware of. It's the defense mechanism of the underlying hypersensitivity to engulfment, needs, objects, etc.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's voiced that he enjoys interaction, and that he would like more of it; however, he has fairly specific tastes for his surrounding and activities, which can be hard for the rest of us to find and enjoy. He thinks in a way that is pretty different from me, so I was hoping 5s might have some insight into his POV. The replies I've gotten so far have been useful in understanding the way he may be thinking, and how to better communicate with him.
Yes, I was just pointing out the contradiction in your original communication, which probably also informs your relationship with him..

It reads to me that you are unhappy with his engagement as a father, yet you are framing this as a problem for *you* to solve. Do you not see how that will fail? All that *you* can do is accept him as he is and sometimes do the things that he likes to do, for his sake. But you are also entitled to make certain demands on him, in return. If you are fundamentally incompatible, the best you can do is tolerate each other.
My goal is to find more mutual ground that him and the family (just my mom, brother, and I) can both be comfortable on. I would like to be able for us to all spend time together without it being very draining on anyone. So far I have found going out to dinner is the easiest territory, and we all love going to the beach, but I would ideally like to add more situations to that repertoire as well.
It's interesting that you see him apart from "the family".

Really, I think you need to ask him how he would like to solve the problem. It is *his* problem, after all. He's the one not fitting in with everyone else. If you try to solve it for him, he will probably resist. If you "reach out" clumsily, he will withdraw. It really has to come from him to have any chance of success.

One approach that might be worthwhile is to frame it as a problem in his area of expertise: how would he counsel another family with this problem? Give him enough distance to analyse it intellectually, without getting overwhelmed by all the emotional baggage. If he approaches it from this angle, it has a better chance of getting under those defences he habitually erects to keep him inside his comfort zone.

When he is engaging with you enthusiastically about something he's passionate about: music, for example, take care not to crush that enthusiasm by being overly critical, or dismissive, or impatient. 5s aren't terribly resilient when it comes to that kind of rejection. We expect not to be understood or accepted - when you offer confirmation of that, we quickly determine it's not worth the effort to even try.

I would guess that the best chance for establishing a closer bond with your Dad is by finding common intellectual interests that you can explore together, one-on-one. He'll get something from going with the family out to dinner/the beach/walking/whatever, but primarily, we live in our heads, and that's where we like to be engaged.

S

Stansmith

Looking back at my life when I was in average-6 levels, it wasn't really that bad. I just had social anxiety, and would maybe get depressed for 3 hours once every weekend or so. Otherwise, I didn't have any bouts of deep existential terror. Boredom and rejection bothered me more than uncertainty. I kept myself entertained whenever I was alone and only felt stressed during exam periods or whenever my English teacher raped me with homework.

If I embarassed myself in a social situation, I'd go home, watch a game, listen to some music and hope I don't fuck up the next time. Some days I'd be uber-confident and energetic and would look forward to the next day. I was awesome around close friends or people I clicked with. It was okay.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I was just pointing out the contradiction in your original communication, which probably also informs your relationship with him..

It reads to me that you are unhappy with his engagement as a father, yet you are framing this as a problem for *you* to solve. Do you not see how that will fail? All that *you* can do is accept him as he is and sometimes do the things that he likes to do, for his sake. But you are also entitled to make certain demands on him, in return. If you are fundamentally incompatible, the best you can do is tolerate each other.

Yes, I actually do agree with you. I think part of it is having grown up and realized that I've been expecting something out of him that is unfair to expect, as well as not being clear enough about what I can and cannot take. At this point I just want to establish more common ground that we can share.

Just yesterday he, my mom, and I went sailing yesterday, and we had a really positive change in systemic behavior. We all like my dad to be in charge - he voices that he likes it, and mom and I both like him to do it, since he is most knowledgeable - but at first he was sort of abusing that position, getting angry at us when he felt we weren't fast enough at doing what needed to be done, or when we didn't always automatically figure out what to do. For the first time, I spoke up and said that I enjoy having him in charge and respect him, but I felt like it wasn't fair of him to speak to us like that, that he needed to give us clear and neutral (not pejorative) instructions if he were going to be captain. There was a little arguing, but for the most part it went over well, and we had a great time for the rest of the trip. That's the sort of change that I'm after, for everyone's sake.

It's interesting that you see him apart from "the family".

I wouldn't and don't, typically, but he often frames himself as being picked on by everyone else when the others of us feel like his behavior is unfair and/or hurtful, so in this specific question that I'm asking, that imaginary boundary plays a big part.

Really, I think you need to ask him how he would like to solve the problem. It is *his* problem, after all. He's the one not fitting in with everyone else. If you try to solve it for him, he will probably resist. If you "reach out" clumsily, he will withdraw. It really has to come from him to have any chance of success.

One approach that might be worthwhile is to frame it as a problem in his area of expertise: how would he counsel another family with this problem? Give him enough distance to analyse it intellectually, without getting overwhelmed by all the emotional baggage. If he approaches it from this angle, it has a better chance of getting under those defences he habitually erects to keep him inside his comfort zone.

When he is engaging with you enthusiastically about something he's passionate about: music, for example, take care not to crush that enthusiasm by being overly critical, or dismissive, or impatient. 5s aren't terribly resilient when it comes to that kind of rejection. We expect not to be understood or accepted - when you offer confirmation of that, we quickly determine it's not worth the effort to even try.

I would guess that the best chance for establishing a closer bond with your Dad is by finding common intellectual interests that you can explore together, one-on-one. He'll get something from going with the family out to dinner/the beach/walking/whatever, but primarily, we live in our heads, and that's where we like to be engaged.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NJ's are the highest statistical probability, to participate in those types of events and ideological structures.

It's science.

Can you explain this more?

I don't think I'm disagreeing...I'm just not sure what you mean.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t296002/

I've expressed my opinion regarding the subject before on the forum, and I don't feel like treading old ground, but this thread's survey option of test results speaks volumes, in my opinion.

Fascinating.

Though, to be fair, one must assume that result is inherently selecting for "Stormfront forum users who desire to discover their MBTI personality type via online quiz and perceive themselves as having those characteristics".

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t296002/

I've expressed my opinion regarding the subject before on the forum, and I don't feel like treading old ground, but this thread's survey option of test results speaks volumes, in my opinion.

Lol. I see

I would think it shows it has more to do with tertiary Fi from the site alone ha ha...my personal opinion from experience is that is that ppl with tert. Fi hold grudges like nobody else.

But I know how nj's think they're right about everything lol which translates to some of them that others aren't equal ....some be crazy :/

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah...i mean...even as a seven i can see from the distance that there's beauty in the melancholy...the wistfulness...the pure agony of having such depth of emotion.

beautiful broken people...raindrops and sad music

so yeah... if that experience is like heroin then i guess you'd say the sixes experience is that of coming off heroin...nervous and twisty and needing a fix...someone or something to soothe their frazzled nerves.

endlessly....
exactly... please make it stop...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lol. There's people "liking" you, and not being content with people just "liking" you. I get the sense people laugh at me instead of laughing with me, and that's a sh-t feeling. I don't wanna be a trusty sidekick or a cute golden retriever with his tongue hanging out. I'm honestly not very well-liked and never have been. This is more accurate:

1- easy
2- moderate
3-easy
4-hard
5-moderate
6-hard
7-easy
8-easy
9-easy

OMG, I totally relate. Also, if I get a compliment, I wonder if it is sincere or if it's just one of those surfacey things everyone is trained to do...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If 6s appear "normal" and accepted, 3s look outstanding and worshipped.

While all the other types form cliques in highschool, the loner 3w4s just swoop in and steal everyone's girlfriends when they're not studying for exams or prepping for an NBC internship.

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
My mother is a core 3...
She can be a bit of slavedriver at times.
I have a weak 3w2 fix, so I can relate to some of it, but gosh...
I think having a strong 9w1 fix makes me want to rest a lot and being core 6w7 makes me feel inadequate.

Sunny Ghost

The first few pages of this made me wonder: How can a person find out if they've been mistyped as a 4, and in actuality are a 6?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The first few pages of this made me wonder: How can a person find out if they've been mistyped as a 4, and in actuality are a 6?

To me it seems like the major difference is the image/identity versus head/knowledge crises.

I identified as 4w3 at one point, because there are many aspects of 4 that are like me - being reflective, sensitive, emotionally open, moody, self-conscious, relatively lower self-esteem, and artistic. I grew up with a medical condition that made me "special", and have a hard time feeling like just another person in the crowd because I have always been "different" in that major way. At the same time, I don't experience many feelings of conflict over my identity or my originality. I have a hard time understanding the 4 struggle with identity. I feel like I always am myself, regardless of whether that is similar to other people's selves or not. I feel like everyone is special in their own right and am content to be me and have others be them. I also do not really identify with the 4 struggle of feeling like something is making me feel separate from everyone else. There are ways I'm different from most, but I don't feel like there is a gulf between myself and others. I feel like there are gulfs between people everywhere and that's how it is for everyone.

On the other hand, the 6 struggle is one of lacking confidence in your inner knowledge. It seems like 4s natively understand how to reach in and tap into that sense of sureness, but for a 6, it's clouded by all of the other information around us. I've read before that 4 is a true introvert while 6 is a true ambivert, and that very much comes into play in 6's insecurity. We attend to lots of information from the outside and have trouble trusting our inner voice, the one that exists completely independent of all of the other information from other influences swirling around in the environment. 6 reactivity is characterized by a feeling of crisis when unanticipated change occurs, and we tend to clamp down in response to ensure our security. Later on the realization may come that it was an overreaction and it would have been better to just ride it out instead of snapping so quickly to respond.

Does that help some? :huh:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Evidence that 5s are not in the least detached, really... They merely aspire to be. In fact, they are highly sensitive (and reactive) to the emotions and energy of others.
A genuinely detached person would not find another person's emotional outburst in any way perturbing.

I think [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] said something about 5s being territorial and having well-defended boundaries... If anything, they are territorial because they are acutely aware of how porous those boundaries are.

they are overreactive not because they are detached from others but because they are detached from themselves. those porous boundaries are the absence of information about oneself, a lack of grounding in one's own body, a lack of trusting themselves to take the stick out of their asses and fucking breathe out once in a while and submit to uncertainty and the way beliefs come and go more freely, more naturally, when they allow themselves to fully experience them. they're not so afraid of being trapped in a duplicitous self. their commitment issues stem from a lack of committing to themselves, not others. self-respect requires one to appreciate one's own body rather than constantly feeling terrorized by a hostile environment that is not one's home. an inability to stay with what they feel recreates this perpetual cycle time and time again. and it prevents them from being able to determine what is true for them in a way that is calm, spacious, open, that has found a center that is wide enough that it doesn't find disagreement so threatening, that doesn't have the high-pitched tenor of someone who is afraid because they don't realize one doesn't lose oneself from other forces but from losing one's ability to trust oneself.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think we 5s are unsuited for a lot of things. Routine jobs, retail, sports, acting, singing... you won't see many successful 5s in any of these fields.

true. it's difficult to accept being contained by such a small-minded game. once you've gotten the percentages worked out, what's left to do?

Now that I'm sort of dating an ESFJ E2, I've made an extensive search about INTPxESFJ + E2xE5 relationships (I've noticed a significant Enneagram/mbti overlap for both). So I have in mind dozens of permutations of how things may (or not) work out.

this is tough. the only thing i've figured out is that the broader i get into possibilities, into more futures, the less i know where i'm actually at in the moment because the less capable i am of creating clear observations of myself in the present moment. chasing the perfect story or the perfect concept does not replace the ability to wait and let it all pass, which simply comes about from finally noticing it in a way that allows you to let go of it. not always piling on more stuff, but waiting for ourselves to fully grieve what we lose, which is simply to wait for ourselves to fully notice what we actually feel and what is actually true for us and complete the emotional processing, so that we can trust ourselves to get through it and trust the moment to inspire us, to lead us back home to ourselves rather than the objects of knowledge and memory that we cling to for fear that we will lose ourselves if we do not leave a bread crumb trail. like the endless array of notepads and scribblings littering every room i spend any time in. #e5hoarders

5s usually have a nihilistic side that most people hate. "Hey, that's not an intrinsic value." "That's ultimately a social construction, you know."

i love this. but at the same time, it is better, others like it more, if you have fun when you say it. if that makes the value of whatever it is dissipate, then the presumed insight is taking over you rather than allowing you to construct a relationship with whatever deeper truth you are trying to find and the deeper parts of yourself that are not realized yet through relationship. the underlying meaning of this statement, to me, points to the fact that the social binds us, that we are always but a part of something bigger than ourselves, that we must be, that the mind that we are a part of, that has emerged in part through us individually and collectively, offers itself to us not only so that it can know itself but so that we can know ourselves through our relationships with each other, that constitute the emerging it. there's so many ways in which you can illustrate this picture and be awed by it, by the interconnectedness of populations in process.

5s are likely the worst possible companionship for parties. unless they've had enough alcohol to make a fool of themselves and amuse other people by behaving like court jesters. Finally, we are probably the most frustrating romantic partners of the whole Enneagram theory. This post by Jennifer sums it quite well (though she was specifically talking about INTPs):

i can relate, but i also don't really buy it. step 1 is finding enjoyment in more than your mind. the mind is great, and obsessing about the possibilities of the great mind we are all a part of, that is too big to know, trying to identify with the entirety of the atmosphere, the sky rather than the earth takes us away from our ability to enjoy being ourselves. the part of ourselves we can actually recognize. it takes us out of so many sites in which we, through our experience, self-valorize, as long as we are open to it. 5s need awareness training to bring them into their bodies, to walk barefoot, to notice their breathing and stay with the heavy, condensing relaxation response pooling up at the end of it.

5s are often super witty, weirdly creative people. they have a soft quirky e7 underbelly that, once they trust themselves, they're more willing to show, booze or no booze. they are protective, and when they believe in themselves, they have a lot to give others. they can influence a course while still being patient, still listening to others, and, when taking responsibility to balance their own moods by practicing patience and allowing themselves to fully feel them, paradoxically freeing themselves in the process by truly NOTICING what is happening with them rather than embedding each emotional moment deeper and deeper into habitual thought patterns that have not termination point, no completion but mental and motivational exhaustion, they make the search for the truth behind all things wonderful, magical, and full of the mystery that returns reverence to a world that grows old and stale when it stops exploring itself and its own endless plethora of meanings. and they often make great teachers who show a willingness to embody the teaching process in all forms, allowing themselves to teach themselves, to be taught by others, to teach each other. it's a great beautiful thing when it's grounded in emotional well-being.

i just think 5s need a lot of support because they don't initially have a very good sense how to give it to themselves, and due in part to their unusual path of development, starting at the end and moving back to the beginning, they can struggle finding the right teachers for them. when they do, they can make tremendous and profound changes rather quickly.

It's fine until I actually want or worse, need to come down out of the tower. And then it hits me that I built it a thousand miles away in the middle of nowhere. That feeling of safety and superiority collapses into a black hole then. What do I do? Go back inside? Start the long walk back to 'civilization' without knowing in advance what sort of reception I will get once I get there? I'm left torn between those two options.* I can never decide if there is more pain in the fact that I need someone to be there for me when everything goes black or more pain because there is no one there in those moments. Mostly because I haven't invested myself in having relationships with others so I can get support when I truly need it. Autonomy biting me in the ass at the worse moments. ;)

*Unless of course, I can lure someone out here to join me. I can cook very well, there's plenty of books to read, and nice places to explore.

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] described it well. There is also the tremendous pain of realizing that one has spent so much time learning to live that very little actual living is done. Always preparing...never ready. It can be very hard to remember or have the courage to know that sometimes you just have to jump in there and dance.

we're good at luring. i like the perfect e5 blue police box. yes, bigger on the inside.

i also think there is an inherent tension in being a head type on the path to reveal something about the mind of the universe, to explore new possibilities and keep letting go of the transitory shells of thinking that protect and organize us all, and finding a balance with a conventional life and consistent goals and careers and relationships and family structures. 7s experience a similar tension. i just think it's okay. we all have tensions whose dynamics to some degree define us. i feel that with us, when integrating our quests with value for others, we create something very good, and that noticing the underlying motivations and urges of our quests for knowledge more clearly allows us to do a better job balancing raw excitation and a deeper, embodied sense of value, a way of centering ourselves amidst more than the ideas themselves but the relationships that those ideas serve in order to ignite us as selves, to bind us for the journey and drive us forward.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
they are overreactive not because they are detached from others but because they are detached from themselves. those porous boundaries are the absence of information about oneself, a lack of grounding in one's own body, a lack of trusting themselves to take the stick out of their asses and fucking breathe out once in a while and submit to uncertainty and the way beliefs come and go more freely, more naturally, when they allow themselves to fully experience them. they're not so afraid of being trapped in a duplicitous self. their commitment issues stem from a lack of committing to themselves, not others. self-respect requires one to appreciate one's own body rather than constantly feeling terrorized by a hostile environment that is not one's home. an inability to stay with what they feel recreates this perpetual cycle time and time again. and it prevents them from being able to determine what is true for them in a way that is calm, spacious, open, that has found a center that is wide enough that it doesn't find disagreement so threatening, that doesn't have the high-pitched tenor of someone who is afraid because they don't realize one doesn't lose oneself from other forces but from losing one's ability to trust oneself.
The aspiration to detach applies to self as much as other, yes indeed. And at unhealthy levels, contributes to psychic fragility.

Other than that, I can identify with little of what you say here. Submitting to uncertainty, having self-respect, comfort with disagreement, openness to exploring one's personal truth, none of these things are an issue for this 5.
Extract that rafter from your own butt, bro, and I think you might find it distinctly J-shaped..

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
exactly... please make it stop...

I think this whole post you quoted might be complete bs. I may have just been talking. I don't know what it feels like to be a 4 or a 6.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The aspiration to detach applies to self as much as other, yes indeed. And at unhealthy levels, contributes to psychic fragility.

Other than that, I can identify with little of what you say here. Submitting to uncertainty, having self-respect, comfort with disagreement, openness to exploring one's personal truth, none of these things are an issue for this 5.
Extract that rafter from your own butt, bro, and I think you might find it distinctly J-shaped..

i think you conflate issues rooted in underdeveloped feeling/emotional intelligence with J stereotypes. maybe they are indivisible, to you, because J = Fe for you, and you don't like it. but i don't see that as a necessary relationship or an accurate categorization.

the representation of e5s as emotionally underdeveloped is not meant to be a particular attack on you but is meant to be an interpretation of the e5 category in generality, in all its frustrating moments. it's my reading of e5s, who systematically struggle with these issues, who are terrified of overwhelm and lose their center so easily. centering is something only which emotions provide, mediating between sensation and ideas, body and mind. centering can not result from a fixation on p or j perceptions, on outside or inside, whether they be endless narratives of what is possible or endless mirrors to reflect oneself back to oneself. choosing one instead of the other is like choosing to only accept either time or space. and furthermore, centering does not just happen in the mind between abstract j and abstract p but between their dynamic territorialization of the body and the body's upsurge through the organization emerged already.

emotions, grounded in monitoring social relationships blending and binding us together, embedding and embodying the constructs of each other into our own worlds, help us assess the strength of relationship from our center rather than an objectively measured one that substitutes selective mathematical truths over those that we can fully experience for ourselves, that we can only fully experience when we leap into who we are as well as what is arising for us. in my estimation, then, it's more about choosing qualitative methods to balance out quantitative ones, whether that be Fe/Ti or Fi/Te. without them, you can never know yourself, because your self is only bound through relationships with others that emerge as priorities for you to offer self-care through a process of giving and receiving care with and for others. that build attachment, attraction, a kind of bond, a cycle that offers to help stabilize other cycles.

for Fe e5s, staying with their own experience does not mean fixating on specific stories but means softening their focus not just to take in the whole in highest resolution but to feel out and balance the pertinent weights of the relationship, checking in with themselves by sympathizing with the experience on the outside to draw them into the body of the experience as a broad site rather than strictly a specific, instrumental one. not expanding their minds into the whole of the space of the world but taking in the whole of themselves and using that as a site to relate to the world, having a sense of home, finding a balance in the leverage of Ti, of one's own direct experience, with the ability to open to themselves, to fold themselves, by feeling out what it is like to be a thing like themselves in particular moments, exploring their own intensional structure, to feel out the biggest pieces of who they are and provide a sense of intention to their own awareness that is beyond the difficulties of determinism but instead allows their own internal structure, their own internal hierarchy of values to allow them to let go of the at times pedantic e5 retentive grasping qualities that present themselves when their various relationships with the world are constantly in flux and perceived as threatening amidst the moments of catastrophe that demand deeper revision and register as a discomfiting sensation of unpreparedness.

in my understanding of the metric of e5 development, the more clinging to an idea of self, seen as what the world is rather than realized as what one feels, even when it harms oneself and others, the more unwillingness to submit to uncertainty (for one can have uncertainty of the world or uncertainty of oneself, and both sides need to be open to be dynamic and adaptive; and truly so, not just according to the image or the narrative provided and fixated upon as a way of self-justification, which i have observed quite frequently with dug-in e5s in the "NO" phase, including myself). the w4 adds another layer, which has to do with feeling afraid that one will abandon oneself because they will not be able to accept themselves as they are if they truly see themselves and truly see their effects on other people, instead relying on the art of disconnecting and flying into a rage when that disconnection loses its solidity and one must show what one truly feels to others and to oneself.

long story short: 5s misperceive their feelings as threats.