User Tag List

123 Last

Stansmith

Default What's the difference between E7 and E3 Arrogance?

More refined E7s and E3s come off as very similar people to me, especially 7w8s who can straight up look like 3s sometimes (Tony Stark). What would you say is the difference between an E3 on his high-horse and an E7 on the same high-horse?

Is a 7 more likely to be brash, blunt and somewhat inappropriate in expressing their awesomeness, ie; talking about the women they've slept with, revealing too much about themselves, etc.? While 3s would be more likely to try to maintain a sense of smug obliviousness?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Stansmith
    good question

3s think "I do, therefore I am". their self of self worth and any arrogance this might produce comes from their accomplishments.
    7s are narcissistic. they naturally assume they are special and that the world will cater to their wims and desires. they see themselves as inherently superior and don't feel that they need external accomplishments in order to do so.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

e3's go out of their way to let you know they're better than you.

e7's just do it should the topic come up.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Yes, that's it. Good job dudes.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Stansmith

I've noticed the main difference between a 7w8 and a true 3, is that 7w8 wears their vanity on a sleeve at all times, whereas 3s are subtle and non-alienating unless they're provoked or insulted (in which case, they'll throw a really cold stinger your way). For better or for worse, the archetypical douchebag is much closer to a 7w8 than any 3. The 3s I've met were all pretty pleasant and considerate on the surface, you wouldn't even know that there was vanity underneath.

It's the difference between Roger Sterling (7w8)

And Bob Benson (3w2)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

And I thought 7s were such nice people
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Riva

I think it's obvious when talking to them esp to e3s. When talking to an e3 especially as an acquaintance the subject almost always turns towards themselves and the subject is their status. An e7 usually try to relate to others. If unhealthy however they would try to one-up you. But that's not because their personality/self worth is defined by their accomplishments. It's probably their can do attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    good question3s think "I do, therefore I am". their self of self worth and any arrogance this might produce comes from their accomplishments.7s are narcissistic. they naturally assume they are special and that the world will cater to their wims and desires. they see themselves as inherently superior and don't feel that they need external accomplishments in order to do so.
    I agree with the e3 discription but does't/couldn't relate to the e7s one. Either that or you described an extremely unhealthy version of an e7.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I think it's obvious when talking to them esp to e3s. When talking to an e3 especially as an acquaintance the subject almost always turns towards themselves and the subject is their status.
    the opposite. 3s know how to keep up their image and are careful to hide their arrogance; 7s are more openly egotistical and care far less about coming across as such.

compare
    @Elfboy: openly egotistical, blunt, says stupid things that reflect poorly on image but oblivious to them, controversial

@Sparrow: she is eloquent, tactful and virtually never comes across as arrogant or egotistical. the presentation of her posts is much more poised and leaves a positive aftertaste.

An e7 usually try to relate to others.
    Social 7w6: yes
    other 7s: no, they won't really care. there is a pervasive myth going around that 7s are usually people oriented and try to relate to everyone. it isn't true

If unhealthy however they would try to one-up you. But that's not because their personality/self worth is defined by their accomplishments. It's probably their can do attitude.
    I haven't noticed this tendency in 7s. it sounds more like 3 or 6 (possibly 5 as well)

I agree with the e3 discription but does't/couldn't relate to the e7s one. Either that or you described an extremely unhealthy version of an e7.
    it's actually most 7s. the fixation of 7 is all about narcissism and entitlement.

PS: do you think you are a 7?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

e3's know they are amazing, e7's think they are amazing.

although honestly, this arrogance can come off as disgusting smugness when unhealthy. like laziness to even try to be better, because they think they are the best already.. duh -.-
    healthiness is all about appreciating other peoples inferior function. its like the sore spot no one ever notices, but we desperately wish they did, and if you focus on doing that, youll have many friends. and also learn to appreciate your own inferior function, others wont find it stupid if you show them how cool it is.

INTJ 4w3 Sp Sx. (i dont believe in tritype. i do believe in learning traits from others.)

mistakes happen. expect them, and grow from them. look for them, and avoid them.

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I get that I come across as a little overly charismatic, flirtatious, and playful around my friends and acquaintances sometimes, but I swear, that mostly comes from a desire to have a good time and keep the mood light. I think 7s can be selfish for sure, but not automatically narcissistic. Not at all.

I've known a few narcissists in real life - two of them 3s, one of them a 6. The presentation between those were very different; the 6 was actually, in a twisted way, proud of having been diagnosed with a mild case of NPD and frequently used it as a means to justify her behavior. One of the 3s was calm, cool, and collected in most circumstances, but very into his image and liable to lose that polished façade whenever he didn't have control of the social dynamic (he felt entitled to everyone's attention and adoration pretty much all the time). The other 3 was probably one of the unhealthiest people I've ever met, checking off every criterion for NPD and then some. He was smug, openly arrogant, a name-dropper, all about himself - his image, his status. People were not people to him; they were objects to be manipulated (and abused, whenever they failed to satisfy him). When I think of this guy, I think of American Psycho.

Consequently, when I think of narcissism, I'll probably consider type 3 before any other...whether that's fair or not.

Of course, 7s can be narcissistic too - as can any type. (I completely agree that Tony Stark is a blazing 7w8.) However, I don't think the prevalence of true narcissism there is as high as Elfboy believes it is. Or, to me at least, some 7 characteristics might seem narcissistic but pack a different flavor than those that I've experienced as true NPD. I do think 7s can be a selfish type. They worry about whether they're feeling good and having fun and consequently tend to put themselves first. But constantly seeking pleasure and feeling entitled to it are not the same thing.

My brand of selfishness just feels like an independent approach to life (versus concerning myself with the needs and approval of others). I love that I am who I want to be. I'm awesome because I'm doing something I really enjoy, not because of job title or status. That kind of thing.

I also like @DJ Arendee's version.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~