User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Power-seeking

  1. #1
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Power-seeking

    Type 2, 5 and 8 are the power-seekers in the enneagram. What does it mean to be a power-seeker? What does it mean to be in possession of power? How does this power-seek manifest in the three types?

    Also, another thing to think about is that type 5 integrates towards 8, 8 integrates towards 2 but two integrates towards 4. Why not back to type 5?

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    I've thought quite a lot about this question. The meaning of "power-seeker" is different for the three. Here is how I understand it:

    2 - Seeks power in the form of influence so they can feel that they are helpful.
    5 - Seeks power in the form of knowledge so the outside world can be understood and navigated allowing independence to be maintained as a result.
    8 - Seeks power in the form of assertion and/or aggression so the outside world cannot rule over them allowing independence to be maintained as a result.

    As for 5's integration point: I tinker with the idea that 4 is technically a power seeking type as well for they seek power through significance to overcome internal deficits of self-worth. But for the sake of argument let's say its not. One thing type 2's have to develop is their own feelings and views. They do much for others (whether helpful or detrimental under the misconception they are being helpful) but not much for themselves. 4 integration gives them something which is theirs and allows them to address their own personal needs as well rather than leaving them ignored. In 5 there wouldn't be what they need for it would promote detachment and avarice which would disrupt their people focus but also leave them unaware of their own emotional needs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Type 2, 5 and 8 are the power-seekers in the enneagram. What does it mean to be a power-seeker? What does it mean to be in possession of power? How does this power-seek manifest in the three types?

    Also, another thing to think about is that type 5 integrates towards 8, 8 integrates towards 2 but two integrates towards 4. Why not back to type 5?
    Because then it wouldn't be perfect and neat to look at and shits.


    Notice the symmetry. Seems pretty forced.

    I'm really turning into a cynical asshole. I can't help it anymore. I hate how people pretend they know other people better than those people know themselves and fuck them up with their bullshit. I'm starting to think acceptance means letting a person define themselves; human beings are so shitty in that regard. Good thing I've decided I've never been human.

    Oh wait, I guess that's an off-topic rant. I should do this more often.

  4. #4
    Senior Member sulfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Posts
    492

    Default

    2 seeks social power. "I have value because I am helpful and I am needed and requested by others."
    5 seeks intellectual power. "I am competent and able to out-think and solve any problem."
    8 seeks physical power. "I cannot be threatened because I've managed to intimidate everything in my vicinity."

    All these types confront others as their long-term orientation: http://www.9types.com/writeup/Theory20.htm

  5. #5
    Honeyed Water thoughtlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Posts
    750

    Default

    I never thought of it that way (so I'll try doing so now)...

    I don't know if my thoughts mean anything, but I do see myself as a potential 2 (I've been called a 2w1 at least once). Still, I won't try to talk from a 2 "perspective" because in the end that means nothing (at least it does for me).

    I don't know if I seek power (maybe I do). And if I do, it's not through being helpful or needed or requested by others. Personally, I don't believe I have any power by myself. I believe the universe has power, our species, natural laws. I find this power when the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts". I see it everywhere... when people dance in unison, in technology, when people work super hard (whether it be in sports, music, or even when people build things). It's kind of like being a robot. Being a well-oiled machine is one of the most beautiful things I can think of. That's power to me (or least that's how I feel right now). ...By the way, I will always have a deep burning love for highways.

    I do know some true blue 2s, though. ...I only understand their superficial behaviors (like wanting to take care of me ...and from only one of them I FUCKING LOVE IT!! free food all A-ROUND ...and I am not very good at directing myself ...so it's nice that she does it for me; I feel like my five year old self whenever I am around her), but I think that their desire to be helpful and needed can cause them to seek power ...or seek peace inside of themselves, or seem competent or anything other psychological phenomenon... at least that's what I've noticed. Could be wrong ...just speaking out of my ass by this point. ignore me

  6. #6
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    @thoughtlost the way power-seeking works in type 2, 5 and 8 is that they all fend off a sense of lacking control in some way. 5s feel they lack control over the world so they seek to control it through their minds, 8s feel they lack control of the world so they try to seek to control the world itself and 2s feel they lack control over their own wants and desires (denying and being out of touch with them) to they seek to control them through people.

    So it's not how you see power as a concept but how your behavior and mentally reflects that of seeking power or more specifically, control in your life through your enneatype core. As a 584, I am very prone towards power-seeking and I mostly seek to control the world through intellectualism.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  7. #7
    Honeyed Water thoughtlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    @thoughtlost the way power-seeking works in type 2, 5 and 8 is that they all fend off a sense of lacking control in some way. 5s feel they lack control over the world so they seek to control it through their minds, 8s feel they lack control of the world so they try to seek to control the world itself and 2s feel they lack control over their own wants and desires (denying and being out of touch with them) to they seek to control them through people.

    So it's not how you see power as a concept but how your behavior and mentally reflects that of seeking power or more specifically, control in your life through your enneatype core. As a 584, I am very prone towards power-seeking and I mostly seek to control the world through intellectualism.
    aaahhhhhh I see now. hhhmmm... I think I understand how type 8s like to seek power. I feel like my sister hates subjugating to the world, so if she wants something she will find a way to get it and she doesn't want money to be an issue. She is extremely pushy and impatient and impulsive. ...Is ...that a decentish example? I've never met a five in real life, so I have yet to understand the truth of what you're saying.

    And is power-seeking something a power-seeking type wouldn't notice they do? I ask this question because ...I've been thinking and I don't feel like I do that. I have a friend who I've typed as a two because she says that she focuses on others' pain to deal with her own. So even though she knows she is suffering it's "better' for her to help others with their pain.

    ...I mean, it looks like she knows she is doing that (because she said it explicitly; she says she likes to be people's mommy) ...but I don't find myself trying to control my internal world (or even the external world ...fuck... I am lazy as hell, yo) by focusing on others and trying to be seen as helpful/care for others/whatever the core is of type 2. Also, my mom is a type two and she likes to think she is in control/put together and that she never admits that she does anything wrong (if she does then she'll feel guilty as fuck) ...but I haven't caught myself doing that yet... So, would my desire to be in control by helping others just be unconscious for me or something?

  8. #8
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I've thought quite a lot about this question. The meaning of "power-seeker" is different for the three. Here is how I understand it:

    2 - Seeks power in the form of influence so they can feel that they are helpful.
    5 - Seeks power in the form of knowledge so the outside world can be understood and navigated allowing independence to be maintained as a result.
    8 - Seeks power in the form of assertion and/or aggression so the outside world cannot rule over them allowing independence to be maintained as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    2 seeks social power. "I have value because I am helpful and I am needed and requested by others."
    5 seeks intellectual power. "I am competent and able to out-think and solve any problem."
    8 seeks physical power. "I cannot be threatened because I've managed to intimidate everything in my vicinity."

    All these types confront others as their long-term orientation: http://www.9types.com/writeup/Theory20.htm
    I know the examples for the type 5 really ring true for me. I've never really thought of myself as power seeking but looking at it this way, I suppose I am.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  9. #9
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Assuming power-seeking bleeds into indistinguishable territory at healthy levels, I'd like to know what it becomes once someone has surpassed aspects of their designated integration point.

    What if mapping and steering enneagram development were as simple as recognizing how easily we shift not along one integration point but two? It's rather one-dimensional otherwise.

    Nobody can explain the tritypes in a way that makes sense nor are the health levels as clearcut as typically illustrated (let's not beat around the bush).

    For instance, someone might go from 5 to 8 to 2 or vice versa, along with redesigned growth/stress guidelines for the 8 and 1.

    thinking of you

  10. #10
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtlost View Post
    aaahhhhhh I see now. hhhmmm... I think I understand how type 8s like to seek power. I feel like my sister hates subjugating to the world, so if she wants something she will find a way to get it and she doesn't want money to be an issue.
    As an example, could be.
    She is extremely pushy and impatient and impulsive. ...Is ...that a decentish example?
    Impatience and impulsiveness, no. Getting what she wants, yes.
    I've never met a five in real life, so I have yet to understand the truth of what you're saying.
    Trying to control with knowledge.

    And is power-seeking something a power-seeking type wouldn't notice they do?
    Most likely no.
    I ask this question because ...I've been thinking and I don't feel like I do that. I have a friend who I've typed as a two because she says that she focuses on others' pain to deal with her own. So even though she knows she is suffering it's "better' for her to help others with their pain.
    Sounds superego logic but I am not sure if it's 2 logic. Could also be 1 logic. The way 2 controls others is by making those people indebted to the 2. I help you, in return you must now help me.

    ...I mean, it looks like she knows she is doing that (because she said it explicitly; she says she likes to be people's mommy) ...but I don't find myself trying to control my internal world (or even the external world ...fuck... I am lazy as hell, yo) by focusing on others and trying to be seen as helpful/care for others/whatever the core is of type 2. Also, my mom is a type two and she likes to think she is in control/put together and that she never admits that she does anything wrong (if she does then she'll feel guilty as fuck)
    Feeling guilty could just be a general superego thing, and never admitting that one is wrong could definitely be an unhealthy type 1 or 6 kind of thing.

    ...but I haven't caught myself doing that yet... So, would my desire to be in control by helping others just be unconscious for me or something?
    That depends on the type that you are.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

Similar Threads

  1. I can control the world with the power of my mind...
    By The Ü™ in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
  2. Power of Thought
    By Metamorphosis in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
  3. Screech Powers = INTP?
    By FFF in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 01:44 AM
  4. Suicide and social power
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
  5. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO