• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music that makes you calm as an indication of type?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
So I have a theory that certain music demonstrates an enneagram fear being soothed. I wonder if you guys would have any music that calms you down, and I wonder if its possible to tell your enneagram as a result of this.

For example:

My Brother is an INTP 5 and he basically daydreams about he apocalypse on a regular basis (creepy, haha) and he finds this song soothing:

To me, it sounds like a brief moment of respite amongst the apocalypse. Its soothing and calm, but in the back of my mind I'm still in the apocalypse.

So I'm sitting here wondering if anyone here would be able to add to this theory? Post a song you listen to that you find soothing. Do you think it matches your enneagram?

What I find interesting, is that, while this song is soothing to my brother, I find it makes me apprehensive, very uncomfortable.

Would someone be able to tell me what it sounds like I find soothing in my own music?

Here is a song I find soothing. Is anyone able to analyze it and tell me what they think it sounds like? Does any of this make you apprehensive or uncomfortable? Why?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if it's very type related or not. Of the three pieces you posted, I found the last two more soothing and the first more unsettling as well.

PJWakt

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Surely the timeless anthem of calmness is Groove Armada: At The River

Arendee - I really like your track

I

Infinite Bubble

I listen to ambient music - especially space ambient or psybient - along with similar genres such as chill and post-rock. Something that creates a certain atmosphere that takes you away from everything. I personally prefer the first piece in the OP. Whether any of this has got to do with my enneagram, I don't know.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The music that makes me calmest is probably late 70s/early 80s soft rock. It's what I heard as a small child a lot with my grandparents.

It's because it makes me feel safe. This probably makes sense with E6.

However, I'm also soothed by a lot of ambient or New Age music without words, simply because it has no words or no beat to make me think, so I prefer this kind of thing if I'm getting a massage or something. I wouldn't listen to soft rock while getting a massage, it would be too mentally distracting.

Still think this points to "head type."

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think particular types are calmed by particular genres, but I think that a person's reason for being calmed by a particular genre might be related to type.

I find music calming if

1) I have a history with it, so it makes me feel at home;
2) I have a strong but hard to describe sense of it being perfect and thus calming, reassuring, and beautiful; and/or
3) I can let the sound wash over me and cleanse my head of all worldly concern.

Reason #2, I think, links very strongly with type 1 (and 4 disintegration), and #3 links well with 7-ish attempts to escape from my troubles.

Examples:

Last edited:

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I really don't think there would be a strong correlation between music taste and type. Lyrical themes, maybe. But aesthetic taste is highly personal and has little to do, in my opinion, with the basic framework of a person's mind. (Which is what type is supposed to be.)

I've listened to multiple songs people have posted here that are supposed to appeal to 9s, and I found most of them sappy and New Age-y - many instrumental, many that touched only superficially on 9-related subjects. The only ones that resonated were, again, because of the lyrical themes.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I second that I doubt there's much correlation and songs that can be considered "soothing" kind of depends on my mood, to be honest. Anyway, currently I'm in the mood for dark ambient and dark trip hop so Akira Yamaoka it is:

Asterism

MBTI Type
IxxJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I listen to a lot of ambient post-rock, trance, and D&B. It's calming in a cathartic way; it feels like I'm being purged of whatever's on my mind at the time, without adding to the mix with lyrics. I'm not sure if this is an indication of type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Symphonic Metal.

:rock:

Lots of stuff, actually. And anyway, calm is my normal state.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...calm, or happy? I like a wide variety of music, but I tend to go for tracks with a reasonably quick tempo and a heavy, danceable beat. A lot of electronic-flavored business can be found in my music library. If I'm unhappy or worked up for any reason, I'm usually able to turn to this menu for the antidote, and thus, calm myself down.

I'm still attracted to a fair amount of downtempo, slower stuff, but these tracks can allow for a certain shade of melancholy to come creepin' back in like some jackass ninja, so it really depends on how I feel.

I guess jazz would probably qualify as a sort of mellow, calming genre that wouldn't bring my mood down with it. I just don't normally switch into that mode.

Okay, demonstrations:

1. "Subway" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I love this song. I really, really do. It's slow, with a dark, contemplative heartbeat. Calm, probably. But it's better for a catharsis of some kind; it's not going to settle my mood at all.

2. "Hold Tight" - Goldfish
An example of a somewhat laid-back sounding song that actually does have a calming effect on me, mood-wise.

3. "Holler Til You Pass Out" - 3OH!3
....aaaaand the obnoxious shit I'm more likely to listen to (and have been listening to, a lot lately) if I want to feel calm/happy, quickly. Love me some dirty 3OH!3.

Whether any of this necessarily reflects my Seven, I can't say for sure. I can see how option number three might fit a certain stereotype, though. :ninja:

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Idk :shrug:

I'm a 4 and I'm really soothed by songs with humming or repetition of a single note.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
classical, opera and bob dylan... what I always listened to in order to sit down and write a research paper or edit something...

also, proper gangsta rap :cool: (preference for west coast...)

Idealatious

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
91?
I... don't really listen to music for its calming effect. I mostly listen to music when I'm exercising or drawing. Dramatic, energetic music is my favorite kind of music.

When I can't sleep, I loop some song I found in youtube that claims to give you lucid dreams (doesn't work for me) - repetitive, spacey sorts of sounds. I often anticipate what's coming next in a song, and that can keep me awake, so I need very nondescript songs. Also, rain.simplynoise.com is pretty great.

This song is pretty calming, I guess:

Also Imogen Heap and Tracy Chapman songs. Maybe I should listen to more calming songs.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP