• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does guilt hold you back?

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am starting to see the Five in me. It makes so much sense now. I often find myself retreating and I guess evaluating how I feel about the situation and feeling so much guilt and regret. It just holds me back. I'm a Four to, so I guess you can see the mix. I also went through a period of depression, so I believe that contributes to it. So I guess my bigger question is, are Fives better off living a life that can't create any guilt or is that an impossible goal? Maybe the less screw ups the better? I guess that goes for anybody. I just feel the more guilt I have the more I retreat and screw things up. I think I'm a Nine too, so I think the combination of all three types, makes me prone to feeling like an underdog and failure. I can't tell if that is really my anger type though, because I have pretty big tantrums, but I nap a lot...

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I live life in the present moment, the moment that is the sum total of all past phenomenon, and the forge for the future. The past is a record we can reflect upon to do better with future developments. We just learn from our mistakes, get back up, and keep moving.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I don't experience guilt. Why should I? I only got a competency superego drive that tells me to live up to my own standards but that's pretty much it. The rest are all id connections that tell me what I want when I want it and tell me to go get it because I want it.

Flatlander

Fair and Square
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am starting to see the Five in me. It makes so much sense now. I often find myself retreating and I guess evaluating how I feel about the situation and feeling so much guilt and regret. It just holds me back. I'm a Four to, so I guess you can see the mix. I also went through a period of depression, so I believe that contributes to it. So I guess my bigger question is, are Fives better off living a life that can't create any guilt or is that an impossible goal? Maybe the less screw ups the better? I guess that goes for anybody. I just feel the more guilt I have the more I retreat and screw things up. I think I'm a Nine too, so I think the combination of all three types, makes me prone to feeling like an underdog and failure. I can't tell if that is really my anger type though, because I have pretty big tantrums, but I nap a lot...

Guilt and regret?

I work on the idea that it's necessary to move on in life. I've had guilt and regret before, most people have I'm sure no matter what their enneagram type, but when I have the feelings I don't wallow in them, I think through what went wrong to figure it out and live on because reality doesn't change or stop moving for feelings.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
8-4-5 here.

Guilt doesn't hold me back. In fact, for better or worse, I'm not very prone to guilt and shame at all. Regret motivates me to take a good, hard look at myself and make a major comeback next time.

There's no point doing this: :beathorse:

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
8-4-5 here.

Guilt doesn't hold me back. In fact, for better or worse, I'm not very prone to guilt and shame at all. Regret motivates me to take a good, hard look at myself and make a major comeback next time.

There's no point doing this: :beathorse:

That is exactly why both times I have been like this in my life, when I'm around Eights it's like somehow your energy just causes me to wake up, smile, and push forward. If I didn't know Eights during these times, I don't think I ever would have healed.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
That is exactly why both times I have been like this in my life, when I'm around Eights it's like somehow your energy just causes me to wake up, smile, and push forward. If I didn't know Eights during these times, I don't think I ever would have healed.

Aw! That is sweet =)

I had a hard time with my 'enneagram journey' - I went through a few other numbers before accepting 8 although it was staring me in the face the whole time... it's very hard for me to face some of these things in myself, but oddly enough enneagram has been helping me grow & really see myself lately; something I didn't expect, I got into it because I'm writing a book & wanted to understand my characters ! Anyway it's been hard but stuff like this makes me smile and feel better about being an 8. =,)

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I rarely experience guilt. If I do, I'll decide if the guilt is warranted. If not, I forget it, and move on. If it is, I'll address the reason for that guilt. If I treated someone badly and feel guilty, I'll apologize and make amends. If no direct solution presents itself, I will make sure never to repeat that action in the future.

Like Maybe said, there's no point to this: :beathorse: (Yep, I did that just because I love that emoticon.)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've pretty much had to shut off guilt in order to be able to function at all.

PrettyWoman

MBTI Type
E..P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think guilt rarely really gets me, somehow I tend to laugh or smile potential sources of guilt away. And I'd rather not dwell on things like that, I just look for somewhere else :) Life is not to be taken too seriously. At least mine isn't :D