• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is "Self" to you?

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
What is "Self" to you?

What is your enneagram core and tritype as far as you know?

What is your MBTI/JCF as far as you know?

G

garbage

It's a construct--a separation between "I" and "the other"--that's often useful but sometimes fails hard.

Last edited:

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am learning more and more that being a Four, self means, "I am myself, in relation to...." We do this authentic thing, acting as if we are being are self, and in a sense we are, but at the same time it's very subjective. There is a lot of "I am not just...(fill in the blank), I am (fill in the blank) in relation to."

It finally hit me that I must be a Four because I do this all of the time. I don't just look at my life and think, "I have this and I need it, or I need more." I think, "I (fill in the blank), so and so "fill in the blank." It's quite a pain in the rear. Not an hour goes by that I am not comparing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Self? Like ego self? My ego self is creative and powerful. It's my truest essence, my authentic self. My virtues, my ethics, my real values, my learned skills and talents. I also get the consistent impression that my ego self is also a very vulnerable, trusting child who likes to show off for fun. The ego self has a strong need to be tied to earthly experience, to be composed of where I've been and who I've known.

I don't know how else to answer this question than to say that recently I've learned that Self, in the spiritual sense, is the God-Self in all of us that transcends ego self.

The ego self is always competing for space or to make its needs known. The God-Self has no such issue.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is "Self" to you?

hmm...
can't tell the idea behind the thread- "are peoples idea of self influenced by their suspected type?" is that it? or are we equating mbti/jcf with 'self'?

Flatlander

Fair and Square
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm...
can't tell the idea behind the thread- "are peoples idea of self influenced by their suspected type?" is that it? or are we equating mbti/jcf with 'self'?

It doesn't qualitatively matter, though the assumption I'd make is that the former is correct. Self is something everyone would seem to understand differently, and she's probably trying to get a grasp on whether the individual conception has anything to do with type.

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is "Self" to you?

Self to me is the sum total of awareness and unconscious. My Self is all that is in consciousness that I recognize as belonging to me, though I can augment my Self by accepting what is in unconscious as being a part of me. In some ways what is in unconsciousness is a part of me, as it affects how I interact with the world as a physical human being, but I'm not so sure that it is a part of my soul (i.e. what I take beyond this life and what has always been).

I'm 9-4-5 and ILI.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Self is what I am right now, and development will shape what I am to become!

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Self" is the thinking, conscious, self aware, sentient, irreplaceable being you are. Only you are yourself, noone else can exist in your place; as a kid I was puzzled by how I could be "me" yet everyone else was another "me" yet never "me" that is, the person I am.