• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to differentiate between social anxiety/shyness and soc last?

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
What the title says. I am for example reading this thread because I am really trying to get a better grasp of the soc instinct:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28156#.UU3HR1eRfXI

However, I constantly see people mentioning social anxiety and shyness and to a degree introversion in relation to why they are soc last. The only other time seemed to be related to grasping historical connections but I am not sure being able to cognitively grasp the background for WWI is a true indication of the soc instinct or not. I mean, I understand it but I can't say that beyond understanding it that these things are interesting, relevant or something I pay attention to. Not in history or in present day time.

Also, I'm not suffering from shyness or social anxiety. I do however fail to understand this sense of "belongingness" that was described to be indicative of strong soc, that you're a part of something greater.

My rationale would thus be this: that a person who still has this sense but is too shy/socially anxious to seek it out would still be a soc first or second, yes? As is usual with our dominant instinct, we feel a certain lack or need if we do not fulfill or satisfy it properly and neuroticism could also appear in relation to our instincts by being afraid of it.

Thoughts?

It's interesting, because I have the opposite problem that the person on that EI thread has. I find it impossible to remember historical data like dates and names, but it's easy for me to infer how a variety of factors converged to trigger a historical event. Only reason I passed my AP history tests.

I've had high social anxiety in the past and it still can resurface depending on my mood. and, yeah, I'd agree that social anxiety is probably most common in social-firsts. On the other hand, in cultures/circumstances where ones' personal security is dependent upon their adherence to social rules, maybe an Sp-first would have serious anxiety then? e.x. if someone was beginning a job as a waiter and was not very socially graceful, but had no other job options to fall back on.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm pretty sure social anxiety makes more sense for so-first people, because they care enough about it to actually get anxious :) I agree with your rationale whole-heartedly; as a so-first (maybe second) person, it's something I've been through a lot.
This.

I'm a shy So-first. I'm too sensitive to what others think of me (or what I imagine they think of me) and of my social failings.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This.

I'm a shy So-first. I'm too sensitive to what others think of me (or what I imagine they think of me) and of my social failings.

But would you say this could also apply as soc last but in an opposite sense, kind of? Like you are so aware of your lack of social grace and inability to connect with groups that it creates anxiety for this reason since you realize this is a blind spot and it feels shameful when you try to engage it which has led to a neurotic attitude in a similar manner?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But would you say this could also apply as soc last but in an opposite sense, kind of? Like you are so aware of your lack of social grace and inability to connect with groups that it creates anxiety for this reason since you realize this is a blind spot and it feels shameful when you try to engage it which has led to a neurotic attitude in a similar manner?
In a way, but I would think your attention isn't going to be drawn to the lacking as much. It's not something playing over and over in your head, unnerving you. For So-lasts it could be more of an insecurity, rather than an anxiety. I mean, isn't anxiety by definition a sort of agitated rumination?

But who knows? I don't know whether it does feel differently to you. Perhaps it's just like how I feel about connecting with people. I want intimacy with people but feel so awkward and strange about it. This lacking can make me feel uncomfortable and a bit nervous but it's not at all comparable to the social anxieties I feel - the first is related to unfamiliarity and uncertainty, the latter is related to fear.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In a way, but I would think your attention isn't going to be drawn to the lacking as much. It's not something playing over and over in your head, unnerving you. For So-lasts it could be more of an insecurity, rather than an anxiety. I mean, isn't anxiety by definition a sort of agitated rumination?

But who knows? I don't know whether it does feel differently to you. Perhaps it's just like how I feel about connecting with people. I want intimacy with people but feel so awkward and strange about it. This lacking can make me feel uncomfortable and a bit nervous but it's not at all comparable to the social anxieties I feel - the first is related to unfamiliarity and uncertainty, the latter is related to fear.

I've never suffered from social anxiety so I can't say where the difference would lie. I was just hypothesizing. Perhaps as you say, it wouldn't be true genuine social anxiety then but rather just a sense of insecurity.

I did kind of suffer from that especially when I was younger and unhealthy, that I felt making "light" social connections with people just being so difficult (I still do, I fail to see the value in it, my definition of a friend is clearly different to that of other people, I suppose soc types in particular), it ultimately felt meaningless and pointless like I wasn't really... connecting at all, if you get what I mean? I was just here chatting to these people in a room but at the same time I don't feel like I'm making bonds. I'm just talking to them because doing anything else would be awkward but at the same time I feel this awkwardness talking to them and trying to get to know them but I really am not in my mind, I am not connecting, I don't feel this is a person I want to get to know better, have a deep relationship with, we're not clicking.

And then at some point when I notice that I don't click with anyone in the room, I'm too different, my interests are too counter-culture, too dark, too strange and morbid for them, I just give up and sit in my corner and I rather be asocial than trying to... connect this way. It's like it's this puzzle of human social relations that I never managed to figure out and then there's always a fear that when I'm around strangers and open up too much I'll be rejected exactly because I'm too strange, too different, my interests to dark, morbid and quirky for them, especially the things I'm really passionate about.

So when I was younger in particular I was like... why even bother with all this. Then I rather go on and lead my hermit life. It seems simpler that way. At least I don't have to fear the feeling of rejection every time when someone tells me that my passion for these metal subgenres I love is too obscure for them, even for other metalheads, or that my love for anything mindfuck is too... complex, complicated, too high-brow to the point it's arrogant.

/wrists

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've never suffered from social anxiety so I can't say where the difference would lie. I was just hypothesizing. Perhaps as you say, it wouldn't be true genuine social anxiety then but rather just a sense of insecurity.

I did kind of suffer from that especially when I was younger and unhealthy, that I felt making "light" social connections with people just being so difficult (I still do, I fail to see the value in it, my definition of a friend is clearly different to that of other people, I suppose soc types in particular), it ultimately felt meaningless and pointless like I wasn't really... connecting at all, if you get what I mean? I was just here chatting to these people in a room but at the same time I don't feel like I'm making bonds. I'm just talking to them because doing anything else would be awkward but at the same time I feel this awkwardness talking to them and trying to get to know them but I really am not in my mind, I am not connecting, I don't feel this is a person I want to get to know better, have a deep relationship with, we're not clicking.

And then at some point when I notice that I don't click with anyone in the room, I'm too different, my interests are too counter-culture, too dark, too strange and morbid for them, I just give up and sit in my corner and I rather be asocial than trying to... connect this way. It's like it's this puzzle of human social relations that I never managed to figure out and then there's always a fear that when I'm around strangers and open up too much I'll be rejected exactly because I'm too strange, too different, my interests to dark, morbid and quirky for them, especially the things I'm really passionate about.

So when I was younger in particular I was like... why even bother with all this. Then I rather go on and lead my hermit life. It seems simpler that way. At least I don't have to fear the feeling of rejection every time when someone tells me that my passion for these metal subgenres I love is too obscure for them, even for other metalheads, or that my love for anything mindfuck is too... complex, complicated, too high-brow to the point it's arrogant.

/wrists
This sounds like Sx issues. Being So-last just exacerbates the problem, making it hard to balance that out. Sx/Sp is all or nothing: you want deep and meaningful connections and can't do with anything less than that. I can see how that would be frustrating and disillusioning. You've been knocked back a bit and it puts you off making the effort again.

I'm not sure if what I have is just shyness or a social anxiety thing but what I feel is usually more overwhelming than what you describe. It's not really the idea of things going wrong in social situations that puts me off going; it's usually more of abstract anxiety. I just don't even want to be there in the first place; it's too scary and stressful. I must say, I can do the light social connections under the right circumstances (a little, or a lot, of alcohol often helps) but I don't often get a great deal of satisfaction out of it. I am a INFP and a 4 after all - I want more meaningful interactions too. So I guess I have some ability but still feel incompetent, dissatisfied and uneasy.

I find when your interests won't really go down well, it's helpful to feed off other people's passions. Ask them questions about things they love and what they like about them. I don't really like Metal at all until I had workmate who could talk for hours about it. He was forgiving of me being ignorant but appreciated my open-mindedness and explained things in universal terms. Now I know about the various Metal genres and subcultures, the history of Metal, as well as a bunch of information about Metallica (and my god, he loves Metallica). I only meant to be polite at first but I actually got a lot out of it. His passion and enthusiasm for the subject certainly was compelling and infectious. I don't ever think I'm going to love Metal, but I appreciate his appreciation - and that in itself can bond people.

This approach can give you more of the intensity you want. You can create a bond indirectly because people open up more and feel connected to someone that listens empathically to the things they're passionate about. They might even invite you to talk about what you like about the music you like in return. This is where light connections can be a gateway to something more meaningful. If you see this as a bridging element, that lays the foundations, you can then use it to form stronger bonds with like-minded people (rather than simply requiring people to like the same things as you). But then maybe this is the problem - So-last people struggle with the bridging element.

That said, I wish my friends liked the same music as me. Some of them have appalling taste and mostly think what I listen to is weird or dull. :shrug:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This sounds like Sx issues. Being So-last just exacerbates the problem that it's hard to balance that out. Sx/Sp is all or nothing: you want deep and meaningful connections and can't do with anything less than that. I can see how that would be frustrating and disillusioning. You've been knocked back a bit and it puts you off making the effort again.

I must say, I can do the light social connections under the right circumstances (a little, or a lot, of alcohol often helps) but I don't often get a great deal of satisfaction out of it. I am a INFP and a 4 after all - I want more meaningful interactions too. It doesn't help that I find interacting with strangers (or outer acquaintances) to be stressful. So I guess I have some ability but still feel incompetent and dissatisfied.

I find when your interests won't really go down well, it's helpful to feed off other people's passions. Ask them questions about things they love and what they like about them. I don't really like Metal at all until I had workmate who could talk for hours about it. He was forgiving of me being ignorant but appreciated my open-mindedness and explained things in universal terms. Now I know about the various Metal genres and subcultures, the history of Metal, as well as a bunch of information about Metallica (and my god, he loves Metallica). I only meant to be polite at first but I actually got a lot out of it. His passion and enthusiasm for the subject certainly was compelling and infectious. I don't ever think I'm going to love Metal, but I appreciate his appreciation - and that in itself can bond people.

This approach can give you more of the intensity you want. You can create a bond indirectly because people open up more and feel connected to someone that listens empathically to the things they're passionate about. They might even invite you to talk about what you like about the music you like in return. This is where light connections can be a gateway to something more meaningful. If you see this as a bridging element, that lays the foundations, you can then use it to form stronger bonds with like-minded people (rather than simply requiring people to like the same things as you). But then maybe this is the problem - So-last people struggle with the bridging element.

That said, I wish my friends liked the same music as me. Some of them have appalling taste and think what I listen to is weird. :shrug:

Yeah, I honestly don't think it helps being a 5 because 5s feel naturally disconnected from the world including the social realm. It doesn't really add much social grace and the 4 wing just makes it even worse. :doh: Then add that I'm not an Fe type either and it's probably just an recipe for utter social disaster. When I talk about these issues with other people most just raise their eyebrows and tell me, "go talk to more people" and I'm like... that's what I've been doing my entire life and I still feel like an idiot when I realize we don't click which happens 99% of the time.

The problem for me also when I listen to people whose interest doesn't necessarily overlap with mine is that I feel like I can't contribute or personally share and I grow bored for this reason alone. I'm often more of an observer anyway in most social situations but asking questions about another person's tastes isn't something that comes natural to me. In general it doesn't come very naturally to ask people questions at all about who they are. I'm very self-centered this way and it works with people who can just ramble on and on about their lives without ever considering including me into the conversation but when I'm the one who's stuck asking questions I feel so awkward because it's like I never know what questions to ask or how to make people open up in a way that feels meaningful to me.

With that said, as a Jungian INFP I'm a very good listener (I was once considering becoming a psychologist for this reason) and some people think that just because I don't interrupt them when they're talking I'm genuinely concerned or care about what they say. This isn't true either though, not in all cases, since I also default to observation mode when I'm bored. It's pretty much what Naranjo said, hit a sweet spot about a subject I'm passionate about and I can ramble on endlessly about that but otherwise I'm just very quiet.

But yes, it's the bridging element that's difficult as you call it. I just don't get... how you go from light socialization to meaningful interaction with people I don't feel I click with right away. I used to call it the invisible wall when I was younger and I complained about to my parents. I told them there's this invisible wall that keeps me from making friends. Of course no one understood. Not even the therapist I saw later for exactly these issues understood.

/wrists

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I did kind of suffer from that especially when I was younger and unhealthy, that I felt making "light" social connections with people just being so difficult (I still do, I fail to see the value in it, my definition of a friend is clearly different to that of other people, I suppose soc types in particular), it ultimately felt meaningless and pointless like I wasn't really... connecting at all, if you get what I mean?

What is your definition of a friend? It might be a 5 thing you're speaking of here, rather than SX vs SO, because I know exactly what you mean: I've felt that same way my whole life. I am extremely selective of who I call a "friend". People who are my acquaintances don't register as "friend" in my mind until we've passed a certain threshold in our relationship. For me, the problem is that the English language is limiting when it comes to expressing degrees of friendship. There's not really an appropriate word to describe people that I know, whom I am friendly with, but don't consider them close enough to be called "friend". The Ti in me is annoyed at this lacking. German is a better language for drawing these distinctions, but they still have the overt concept of formality vs. informality in their language and society. But unfortunately, it's not like I can go around and call people "Bekannte". No one would know what I'm saying.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is your definition of a friend? It might be a 5 thing you're speaking of here, rather than SX vs SO, because I know exactly what you mean: I've felt that same way my whole life. I am extremely selective of who I call a "friend". People who are my acquaintances don't register as "friend" in my mind until we've passed a certain threshold in our relationship. For me, the problem is that the English language is limiting when it comes to expressing degrees of friendship. There's not really an appropriate word to describe people that I know, whom I am friendly with, but don't consider them close enough to be called "friend". The Ti in me is annoyed at this lacking. German is a better language for drawing these distinctions, but they still have the overt concept of formality vs. informality in their language and society. But unfortunately, it's not like I can go around and call people "Bekannte". No one would know what I'm saying.

Ah, well, bekannte or in my language, bekant, is what I'd translate into acquaintance. Most of the people I speak to on a day to day basis fall in this category to me even though some of them most likely see me as a friend. I am not even sure where the threshold is drawn to me, but it should be a mutual desire to see each other on a regular basis I guess, and you get something out of that.

I agree though, I'm equally annoyed over the lack of nuance when it comes to describing social relations to people.

Should be clarified that when I mentioned soc, I meant pretty much every other type than 5. I know 5s naturally have issues with bonding, although perhaps the intensity I experience is sx.

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ah, well, bekannte or in my language, bekant, is what I'd translate into acquaintance.

Dutch? Or one of the Scandinavian languages?

Most of the people I speak to on a day to day basis fall in this category to me even though some of them most likely see me as a friend. I am not even sure where the threshold is drawn to me, but it should be a mutual desire to see each other on a regular basis I guess, and you get something out of that.

I agree though, I'm equally annoyed over the lack of nuance when it comes to describing social relations to people.

It's the same with me. When I was in high school, my brother would say, you have stupid friends. Meaning the people who were in my grade that I was on speaking terms with. When I would say, they're not my friends, he would look at me like I was crazy or heartless or I don't know what. (He's INFP 6w7 btw). And you know, a lot of those people might have seen me as their friend. People take it the wrong way being called "acquaintance". That's a good thing though. I view "Bekannte" or acquaintance as neutral, but leaning more towards a positive connotation. Acquaintances are people that I see and talk to on a daily basis. What people don't get is, if I don't like someone, I'm not going to take the effort to talk to them. If I don't like you, you're not an acquaintance, you're "that asshole". To be considered a "friend", there has to be a deeper connection than "hey we hung out a couple times and got along".

I tend to divide people in my mind as "family", "(close) friends", "Bekannte/acquaintances" (this could include people from work, people I went to school with, people I know from church, old friends of the family, etc.), "people on Facebook who I would never interact with again if Facebook didn't exist" (includes same people groups from the Bekannte category, but those that I'm either indifferent towards or find a little annoying, but have never had a problem with personally), "people who I refuse to interact with even on something as banal as Facebook" (no thank you Facebook, I don't need to suggest "people you might know"...this category should really be called "people you know that you didn't add on purpose").

I would be interested in seeing research on how the Facebook phenomenon has redefined how we view the concept of friendship.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dutch? Or one of the Scandinavian languages?
Scandinavian. Guess the language below. (Actually, it says on my profile but that'd be cheating.)
It's the same with me. When I was in high school, my brother would say, you have stupid friends. Meaning the people who were in my grade that I was on speaking terms with. When I would say, they're not my friends, he would look at me like I was crazy or heartless or I don't know what. (He's INFP 6w7 btw). And you know, a lot of those people might have seen me as their friend. People take it the wrong way being called "acquaintance". That's a good thing though. I view "Bekannte" or acquaintance as neutral, but leaning more towards a positive connotation. Acquaintances are people that I see and talk to on a daily basis. What people don't get is, if I don't like someone, I'm not going to take the effort to talk to them. If I don't like you, you're not an acquaintance, you're "that asshole". To be considered a "friend", there has to be a deeper connection than "hey we hung out a couple times and got along".

I tend to divide people in my mind as "family", "(close) friends", "Bekannte/acquaintances" (this could include people from work, people I went to school with, people I know from church, old friends of the family, etc.), "people on Facebook who I would never interact with again if Facebook didn't exist" (includes same people groups from the Bekannte category, but those that I'm either indifferent towards or find a little annoying, but have never had a problem with personally), "people who I refuse to interact with even on something as banal as Facebook" (no thank you Facebook, I don't need to suggest "people you might know"...this category should really be called "people you know that you didn't add on purpose").

I would be interested in seeing research on how the Facebook phenomenon has redefined how we view the concept of friendship.
Hah, yeah. I put things in this category: people I don't know about or care about at all, people I know about but don't care about at all; acquaintances somewhat falls into the latter category. Then there's people hate and I care about because I hate them with my guts and I somehow can't seem to stay away to revel in their misery. The word bekant is pretty old-fashioned over here and not really used anymore although there's the word "vän" and then there's "kompis" and "polare" which is a slang, the latter is probably the best translated into polare = buddies, To be a vän is something distant, not quite acquaintance but not really friend either to me, although it is the best translated into friend, but I make the distinction between good and close friends and to me a friend is really only a friend if they are good or close friends.

Then there's also the distinction family and relatives (in English relatives is more interchangeable with family but in my country family only denotes the closest family members being parents and siblings) but I separate this from friends because as much as I'd like to be friends with my dad the way I view family and relatives is very distant. I think other people would think I'm a cold and heartless bastard for not caring more about them (like I mentioned in the Shit 5s say thread, it sounded like my grandmother would choke because I didn't give two damns about my cousin having twins). So to me, family and relatives are simply people I am related to by blood so they mostly fall into the category of people I know but don't really give a damn about.

Also, any bets that Mark Zuckerberg is a soc 5? I'm very selective about the people I add on Facebook and I add people I have personal interest in. If you got personal interest in me too bad, if it's not mutual.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I honestly don't think it helps being a 5 because 5s feel naturally disconnected from the world including the social realm. It doesn't really add much social grace and the 4 wing just makes it even worse. :doh: Then add that I'm not an Fe type either and it's probably just an recipe for utter social disaster. When I talk about these issues with other people most just raise their eyebrows and tell me, "go talk to more people" and I'm like... that's what I've been doing my entire life and I still feel like an idiot when I realize we don't click which happens 99% of the time.

The problem for me also when I listen to people whose interest doesn't necessarily overlap with mine is that I feel like I can't contribute or personally share and I grow bored for this reason alone. I'm often more of an observer anyway in most social situations but asking questions about another person's tastes isn't something that comes natural to me. In general it doesn't come very naturally to ask people questions at all about who they are. I'm very self-centered this way and it works with people who can just ramble on and on about their lives without ever considering including me into the conversation but when I'm the one who's stuck asking questions I feel so awkward because it's like I never know what questions to ask or how to make people open up in a way that feels meaningful to me.

With that said, as a Jungian INFP I'm a very good listener (I was once considering becoming a psychologist for this reason) and some people think that just because I don't interrupt them when they're talking I'm genuinely concerned or care about what they say. This isn't true either though, not in all cases, since I also default to observation mode when I'm bored. It's pretty much what Naranjo said, hit a sweet spot about a subject I'm passionate about and I can ramble on endlessly about that but otherwise I'm just very quiet.

But yes, it's the bridging element that's difficult as you call it. I just don't get... how you go from light socialization to meaningful interaction with people I don't feel I click with right away. I used to call it the invisible wall when I was younger and I complained about to my parents. I told them there's this invisible wall that keeps me from making friends. Of course no one understood. Not even the therapist I saw later for exactly these issues understood.

/wrists
It's strange that people don't understand what you're having trouble with - it's not that difficult to get your head around. :huh:

I think a lot of what you describe is how most INFPs feel too. We have problem with achieving successful and fulfilling interactions. I usually just let people talk and ask questions if I'm not comfortable with the situation or the subject. It takes the burden off me and means they don't ask me questions I don't want to answer. I'm rather ramble-y too when I get on a subject that interests me. Too ramble-y actually - I won't shut up and I bore people silly. :blush:

I'm not sure how you overcome the bridging problem. I don't know how instinctual variants are meant to develop; whether you need to find a way to use your first variant to overcome the deficiencies of the last, or if you simply work on developing your last variant.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's strange that people don't understand what you're having trouble with - it's not that difficult to get your head around. :huh:

Well, people are not me. I guess that's why? I you've never experienced it before how can you relate? It's weird though, my dad is a 9, I expected him to relate at some level but just being his typical 9 he doesn't say... anything. And my stepmother is a 3 or a 6, I can't say, and she's like, "Just go talk to people." And the therapist told me, "You need to work on your self-esteem." Not because I think what he did was useless but... he didn't understand the problem either.
I think a lot of what you describe is how most INFPs feel too. We have problem with achieving successful and fulfilling interactions. I usually just let people talk and ask questions if I'm not comfortable with the situation or the subject. It takes the burden off me and means they don't ask me questions I don't want to answer. I'm rather ramble-y too when I get on a subject that interests me. Too ramble-y actually - I won't shut up and I bore people silly. :blush:
Probably. My boss at work has come up with a simple solution to shut me down whenever I ask her for help but I begin to ramble and it starts confusing her: LeaT, what was your question again? I have a smart boss.
I'm not sure how you overcome the bridging problem. I don't know how instinctual variants are meant to develop; whether you need to find a way to use your first variant to overcome the deficiencies of the last, or if you simply work on developing your last variant.

I don't know either although it helped gaining some confidence and just ignore. A big problem for the 5 is that you easily get so anxious about dealing with something you've never dealt with before that you get stuck in perpetual preperation mode because the problem is bigger in your head than it is in actuality. So I think for me the best solution would probably just be integration and not worry so much but just practice and keep doing. Easier said than done though... It's stupid how I have no problems running out in the middle of the night armed with a kitchen knife ready to chase away a person I thought was carrying a gun and beating up a woman but when it comes to interpersonal relationships it feels like I'll be forever incompetent.

Dexter has such a fine quote for it: "I can kill a man, dismember his body and be home in time for Letterman, but knowing what to say when my girlfriend's feeling insecure I'm totally lost."

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, people are not me. I guess that's why? I you've never experienced it before how can you relate? It's weird though, my dad is a 9, I expected him to relate at some level but just being his typical 9 he doesn't say... anything. And my stepmother is a 3 or a 6, I can't say, and she's like, "Just go talk to people." And the therapist told me, "You need to work on your self-esteem." Not because I think what he did was useless but... he didn't understand the problem either.
Don't you just love people who do that? It's just so much fun being lectured about social skills by people whom it all comes incredibly easily to. Especially when they offer such 'helpful' advice that completely oversimplifies the problem and dismisses your experience. :mad:

I have a relative who's a ESTP 8w7. She's a confident, outgoing people-person, is wonderful on the phone, and is at complete easy talking to strangers and winning people over. She has zero understanding of what it is like to be shy and reserved, but presumes to criticise me for it. She's been trying to help me get a job, and, despite my insistence that I want one that minimises human interaction, she keeps suggesting ones I would be hopeless at. Then when I am reluctant and uneasy about it, she tells me off for being negative and waffles on about how she had to learn to deal with people too, blah, blah, blah. It's such a bunch of bullshit. What the hell does she know about what it feels like? :ng_mad:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Well, my experience as what I believe is a Sp/So is this: I'm not as attuned to the social realm as an So-dom, but I do try to save face while sort of blending into the background. It can be hard to "do my own thing" when others are watchingaround, and sometimes even when they're not there. (That last part could be just me, though.)

I agree with, you, SK ^. That kind of attitude can even disencourage people with mental illnesses from seeking help. It's like asking someone "why don't you get over your asthma and become an athlete?"

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't you just love people who do that? It's just so much fun being lectured about social skills by people whom it all comes incredibly easily to. Especially when they offer such 'helpful' advice that completely oversimplifies the problem and dismisses your experience. :mad:

I have a relative who's a ESTP 8w7. She's a confident, outgoing people-person, is wonderful on the phone, and is at complete easy talking to strangers and winning people over. She has zero understanding of what it is like to be shy and reserved, but presumes to criticise me for it. She's been trying to help me get a job, and, despite my insistence that I want one that minimises human interaction, she keeps suggesting ones I would be hopeless at. Then when I am reluctant and uneasy about it, she tells me off for being negative and waffles on about how she had to learn to deal with people too, blah, blah, blah. It's such a bunch of bullshit. What the hell does she know about what it feels like? :ng_mad:

Yeah, I know. My aunt and cousin keep suggesting that I'd get some kind of social service job like personal assistant or work at elderly care center... <.< Perfect job for a 5. Not. And then they keep claiming it's so easy to take care of people. I can barely take care of myself! I mean, perhaps if I was an sp first type maybe I could do it simply for self-sustenance but ultimately I desire a job that's self-fulfilling and these jobs are not. I don't want to take care of living for a living.

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Scandinavian. Guess the language below. (Actually, it says on my profile but that'd be cheating.)

Finnish is out. ;) Probably Swedish, although most of the Scandinavian languages are mutually intelligible. (I didn't peek, so you'll have to tell me if I'm right or not.)

Hah, yeah. I put things in this category: people I don't know about or care about at all, people I know about but don't care about at all; acquaintances somewhat falls into the latter category. Then there's people hate and I care about because I hate them with my guts and I somehow can't seem to stay away to revel in their misery. The word bekant is pretty old-fashioned over here and not really used anymore although there's the word "vän" and then there's "kompis" and "polare" which is a slang, the latter is probably the best translated into polare = buddies, To be a vän is something distant, not quite acquaintance but not really friend either to me, although it is the best translated into friend, but I make the distinction between good and close friends and to me a friend is really only a friend if they are good or close friends.

Then there's also the distinction family and relatives (in English relatives is more interchangeable with family but in my country family only denotes the closest family members being parents and siblings) but I separate this from friends because as much as I'd like to be friends with my dad the way I view family and relatives is very distant. I think other people would think I'm a cold and heartless bastard for not caring more about them (like I mentioned in the Shit 5s say thread, it sounded like my grandmother would choke because I didn't give two damns about my cousin having twins). So to me, family and relatives are simply people I am related to by blood so they mostly fall into the category of people I know but don't really give a damn about.

Also, any bets that Mark Zuckerberg is a soc 5? I'm very selective about the people I add on Facebook and I add people I have personal interest in. If you got personal interest in me too bad, if it's not mutual.

While I think I put a little more importance on "blood" than you do, I'm not gung-ho about it like I've seen other people get. Like if "blood" raped someone, I'd happily see "blood" rot in prison for the rest of their life. Being family doesn't give them a free pass to be an asshole with me. I have a very large family. It would be a miracle if I liked them all. There are some who I have completely written off, many that irritate me and who are full of themselves, many that I have no problem seeing only once a year. And I have never been struck with baby craze. With my cousins' kids, when they're first born, I want nothing to do with them, but when they're just learning to crawl and walk, they're fun. They're like little sponges, and so curious about the world around them. But once they start talking, I don't want to deal with them until they're 16.

I have no idea about Mark Zuckerberg. I actually get very irritated with Facebook, with everyone's soap-boxing. I only use it to play Scrabble and talk shit with some college friends in a private group we made. The only reason I don't deactivate it is it's a universal means of communication. I don't hand out my phone number to just anyone, so if people want to get a hold of me, Facebook is the way to go.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Finnish is out. ;) Probably Swedish, although most of the Scandinavian languages are mutually intelligible. (I didn't peek, so you'll have to tell me if I'm right or not.)

Yes, that would be be correct. Swedish that is, not Finnish. Although there's Swedish-Finnish but it's different.
While I think I put a little more importance on "blood" than you do, I'm not gung-ho about it like I've seen other people get. Like if "blood" raped someone, I'd happily see "blood" rot in prison for the rest of their life. Being family doesn't give them a free pass to be an asshole with me. I have a very large family. It would be a miracle if I liked them all. There are some who I have completely written off, many that irritate me and who are full of themselves, many that I have no problem seeing only once a year. And I have never been struck with baby craze. With my cousins' kids, when they're first born, I want nothing to do with them, but when they're just learning to crawl and walk, they're fun. They're like little sponges, and so curious about the world around them. But once they start talking, I don't want to deal with them until they're 16.

Honestly, I don't want anything to do with children for most of the part because I feel so incompetent around them. Also, they tend to stare at me for some reason, especially random kids on the street and their parents never notice. This bothers me like hell. Why stare at me out of all the godamn people you could stare at?!
I have no idea about Mark Zuckerberg. I actually get very irritated with Facebook, with everyone's soap-boxing. I only use it to play Scrabble and talk shit with some college friends in a private group we made. The only reason I don't deactivate it is it's a universal means of communication. I don't hand out my phone number to just anyone, so if people want to get a hold of me, Facebook is the way to go.

Same. It's simple and easy communication. I don't use it for much either more than mostly being a music exhibitionist actually.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well, I just realized that I'm social-last, so I'm going to try to answer this again

The social realm provides opportunities to connect with people. Connection is important to me, but my preferred way of relating is intensely idealistic and not shared (or at least openly expressed) by the majority of people I come in contact with. Because social fluidity doesn't come naturally to me, and because many social patterns are in stark contrast to my ideals, my anxiety when dealing with people escalates. It all seems incredibly complex and impossible for me to deal with on a meaningful level.

So, in answer to the original question, it's important to look at the individual's core interpersonal goals. Is the social instinct more of a means for them, or an end in itself? If they would describe it as a tool they struggle to use, or an obstacle they struggle to overcome, they're most likely not social-first.

G

garbage

Everyone pegs me as an so-first, and I had hella social anxiety growing up--with individuals and crowds alike. The 'neurosis' kinda flipped over into 'unadulterated strength,' but not without a lot of effort.

I've often heard that dominant instinct represents the thing that one pays compulsive attention to, for good or for bad.