Thread: Enneagram Math

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Default Enneagram Math

Type 4 is surrounded by types 3 and 5, which are both competency types. It integrates to 1, which is a competency type.

Type 5 is surrounded by types 4 and 6, which are both reactive types. It integrates to 8, which is a reactive type.

Type 8 is surrounded by types 7 and 9, which are both positive outlook types. It integrates to 2, which is positive outlook.

None of the other types are surrounded by something in terms of both wings and a connection.

Naranjo proposes that a type is, in essence, made up of the wings that surround it. Each type also seems to be a reaction against the surrounding wings. Therefore, the trends here, with the wings that surround 4, 5, and 8, and the fact that those types integrate to the third type in that category, is intriguing to me.

Also, worth noting:

8 is rejection, and connects to 5 and 2, meaning it has a line to all of the rejection types.
    1 is frustration, and connects to 4 and 7, meaning it has a line to all of the frustration types.
    3, 6, and 9 are compliant types, and all connect to each other.

Discuss.

Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Hm, interesting. But what does it signify? I wish all the numbers worked out so neatly.

7 is bookended by two reactive types, but integrates to competency, and disintegrates to competency.
    2 is bookended by two competency types but integrates to reactive, and disintegrates to reactive.

Wait! 1 is bookended by two positive outlook types and integrates to 7 positive outlook. Just like 8...interesting.

And 4 and 5 both disintegrate to positive outlook, and 8 and 1 both disintegrate to withdrawn.

3, 6, 9 are only surrounded types from their own centers, and those wing types have nothing else in common. In a way, it makes sense that the primary types are like this. They are the most out of touch to their center, and they're being pulled in two directions by their wings. 3's and 6's wings are connected by a line of growth/stress, but 9 is the odd man out, as usual.

9 is surrounded by body/anger types and is not present in their bodies. 9 integrates to 3, and they learn to assert themselves and have a separate identity from others, like a healthy 3.

6 is surrounded by mind/anxiety types and is disconnected from their thinking. 6 integrates to 9, and they learn to calmness and acceptance of a healthy 9.

3 is surrounded by heart/shame types and is disconnected from their identity. 3 integrates to 6, and they learn the courage to be themselves like a healthy 6.

The system has a crazy symmetry to it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I know. I love the symmetry of the system. It's so beautiful. Change one thing and it all falls apart. And I like how it's so self-contained and circular instead of being open-ended. Whoever came up with this initially was a very brilliant person. I am not sure I would have the effort in trying to map this out unless I got a GREAT insight.

And also, it makes sense for example that a type surrounded by reactive types would strive for competence because it goes in the line of moving away from than moving towards that reactive types kind of do in a way. Reactive types inherently distrust others and their own value, which is why they seek reactions from others to prove this value. Competency types inherently seek trust in themselves and their own abilities instead of seeking that of others.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Reactive types inherently distrust others and their own value, which is why they seek reactions from others to prove this value.
    I think that the way you phrased it captures the Image types' tendency rather than the Reactives'. Questioning your own value, seeking out a reaction from others to confirm/"prove" the value of your identity. Value is not the purpose of reactivity.

The reactive types tend to want to get a reaction from others. When a reactive type is upset, they don't want the other person to stay calm. They want to see their negative emotions mirrored by others. They are often referred to as the "truth tellers of the enneagram" for the simple reason that reactive types can pick up on the more troubled aspects of a situation before other types do. If the positive outlook types err by focusing too much on the positive, reactive types can err by focusing too much on the negative. What they're seeing may, in fact, be there, but what comes across as barely perceptible to other types comes across like a flashing neon sign to the reactive types, and it's very difficult for them to not address it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I think that the way you phrased it captures the Image types' tendency rather than the Reactives'. Questioning your own value, seeking out a reaction from others to confirm/"prove" the value of your identity. Value is not the purpose of reactivity.
    Fair enough. It doesn't have to be their value I guess, I was looking it a personal perspective. My overall point still stands though.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    ENTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Maybe for type 4, a reactive image type. Because 3 and 2 are not really reactive types. I don't think she was talking about value in terms of identity either.

And reactivity is merely a means of dealing with conflict. Sometimes reactive types may have felt "wronged" somehow in conflict, and may be motivated by seeing that "justice is served" so to speak. This is probably why they want the other person to be affected by them in some form or another.

@Maybe I've noticed the amounts of symmetry in the enneagram. I think that's what really makes it work well. I suppose you could argue that each of the types is more or less opposed to the axes of traits that their neighbors represent. In the post linked below, I explain how this shows in type 9.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2050879
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."-Roger Kint, The Usual Suspects
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    ENTJ, LIE-Ni, 9w8-6w5-3w2