^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about that! Thanks!
    Sure thing.

By the way: If you aren't comfortable wtih being a Four, do you have any other hunches about what your type might be?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Ofugur, I liked that test. I'd never seen it before.
    wow, thanks! i didn't expect my results to be that pronounced. looks like yours preferences are quite clear too.

Know of any good enneagram descriptions on the net?
    here's probably one of the best descriptions:

What It’s Like to be an Enneagram Four (4) and How to Deal with It: | Article | Enneagram Book

honestly, the first time i researched my enneagram type, i was a bit disappointed. the description said i was moody, dramatic, jealous and self-pitying -- all of which is true, but not particularly nice to hear.

over time, however, i've come to appreciate who i am. learning about enneagram has greatly helped me with self-actualization, maybe even more so than mbti.
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Sure thing.

By the way: If you aren't comfortable wtih being a Four, do you have any other hunches about what your type might be?
    I've talked to some friends who were enneagram fans. One said I was a 4w5 and the others said 7w6 and 9. If I'm not a four I'm probably a 9 or a 6 though.

Hmmm. I dunno.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I've talked to some friends who were enneagram fans. One said I was a 4w5 and the others said 7w6 and 9. If I'm not a four I'm probably a 9 or a 6 though.

Hmmm. I dunno.

Contrast may provide the answer for you.

Misidentifying Sixes and Nines:

These types are actually frequent mistyped. Sixes and Nines are both concerned with security and with maintaining some kind of status quo situation. They are both family-oriented, and both tend to take modest views of themselves. Their affect, however, is the easiest way to distinguish them.

In short, Nines like to remain easy-going and unflappable. Nines work steadily at their tasks, but show little sign of being upset by the day's ups and downs. Sixes, on the other hand, cannot easily disguise their feelings. They get more easily worked-up and rattled by mishaps. While Nines can remain silent within their own inner peace, Sixes need to vent with others periodically to discharge their fears and doubts. Sixes are more obviously nervous and defensive when they believe there are problems. Nines remain strangely bland in the face of problems, although beneath the pleasant surface of average Nines, there is stubborn resistance and an unwillingness to be upset or troubled by conflicts or problems. Sixes tend to be suspicious of unknown people and situations
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Misidentifying Fours and Nines:

Some average Nines think that they are Fours because they have artistic talents and creative inclinations of one kind or another. As in the case of love not being the sole domain of Twos, artistic capacity is not the sole province of Fours. Other types can be, and often are, artists.

Even so, the artistry of Fours is much more personal and self-revealing than that of Nines. The art of Nines often expresses idealized, mythological, and archetypal worlds–usually the real world glossed into something fantastic and wondrous. Nines are often gifted storytellers in which "...and they all lived happily ever after" is assured. (There are no unhappy endings in the Nine's world of make-believe.) By contrast, the art of Fours is generally more personal and realistic, the expression of the Four's (and of everyone's) deep longing for love, wholeness, and meaning. Fours often deal in the tragic, finding redemption in self-transcendence; Nines deal in the commonplace, finding comfort in ordinary lives and simple situations.

The principal reason these types may be confused is that they are both withdrawn types. (PT, 433-36). Fours withdraw from others so that they can protect themselves and give themselves time to deal with their emotions. Nines, on the other hand, are withdrawn in the sense that they remove their attention from people or situations that threaten them, disengaging themselves emotionally so that they will not be anxious or upset. They cut off their identification with others (or never identify with them in the first place), identifying instead with a private idealized version of reality. Average to unhealthy Nines tune out any unpleasantness by dissociating from whatever upsets them, whereas Fours do just the opposite, brooding over their anxieties in an attempt to come to terms with them. Fours are certainly not detached from their emotions–just the reverse, they are keenly aware of them, perhaps too much so.

Both types can therefore be shy, absent-minded, confused, and detached from the real world. The difference is that Nines are detached both from the external world and from their emotions, whereas Fours withdraw from whatever has caused them pain. (In the end, that may add up to quite a lot.) Nines see the world through rose-colored glasses, and their view of it is comforting, whereas Fours see the world from a garret window as outsiders and are not comforted: everyone else seems to be living a happier, more normal life. Contrast the personalities of Mahler (a Four) and Aaron Copland (a Nine), Saul Steinberg (a Four) and Norman Rockwell (a Nine).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Misidentifying Fours and Sixes:

While there are real similarities between the two types, there are even more differences. The principal difference is that Sixes are usually extremely appealing and relate well to people; they have the ability to unconsciously engage the emotions of others so that others will like them and form secure relationships with them. Fours, in contrast, do not relate primarily to people but to their own inner emotional states. Fours take it for granted that they are alone in life, and find it difficult to form bonds with others—something that comes easily to Sixes. The psychic structures of the two types are also very different: Fours are true introverts, while Sixes are a blend of introversion and extroversion—true ambiverts who possess qualities of both orientations.

Confusion arises between these types principally on the part of Sixes who think that they are Fours for two main reasons. First, some Sixes identify with the negative side of the Four (depression, inferiority, self-doubt, and hopelessness, for example) and think they must be Fours because they recognize similar traits in themselves. The difference lies in the motivations for these traits. For example, while all the types can become depressed, Fours do so because they are disappointed with themselves for having lost some opportunity to actualize themselves. They become depressed when they realize that in their search for self, they have gone down a blind alley and now must pay the price. Unhealthy, depressed Fours are essentially angry with themselves for bringing this on themselves or for allowing it to happen.

By contrast, Sixes become depressed when they fear that they have done something to make their authority figure mad at them. Their depression is a response to their self-disparagement; it comes from the fear that the authority is angry with them and will punish them. Thus, the depression of Sixes is exogenous (coming from the outside) and can be relieved by a word of reassurance from the authority. This is not the case with Fours whose depression is endogenous (coming from the inside), a response to their self-accusations.

Second, we have characterized the Four as The Individualist , and some Sixes who are artistic think that they therefore must be Fours. However, as noted above in the discussion of Fours and Nines, artistic talent is not the sole domain of Fours, so it is entirely possible for Sixes to be artists of one kind or another. Even so, there are important differences in the creative work produced by these two types.

In general, Sixes tend to be performing artists, while Fours tend to be original creators. Sixes are more likely to be actors or musicians than poets and playwrights, more likely to perform the words or music of someone else than to create it themselves. Even those Sixes who are creative tend either to be traditionalists, creating within firmly established rules and styles, or they go to an extreme and become rebellious, reacting against traditionalism–such as rock stars and experimental novelists who purposely defy traditional forms. In either case, both tradition and reactions against it are an important aspect of their art. The themes typically found in the art of Sixes have to do with belonging, security, family, politics, country, and common values.

Creative Fours, by contrast, are individualists who go their own way to explore their feelings and other subjective personal states. The artistic products of Fours are much less involved either with following a tradition or with reacting against it. Fours are less apt to use political or communal experiences as the subject matter for their work, choosing instead the movements of their own souls, their personal revelations, the darkness and light they discover in themselves as they become immersed in the creative process. By listening to their inner voices, even average Fours may speak to the universal person or fail to communicate to anyone, at least to their contemporaries. They may be ahead of their time not because they are trying to be rebellious or avant-garde, but because they develop their own forms to express their personal point of view. What is important to Fours is not the tradition but personal truth. Tradition is no more than a backdrop against which Fours play out their own personal dramas. Compare and contrast the personalities of Rudolf Nureyev and Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky (Fours) with those of Mikhail Baryshnikov and Johannes Brahms (Sixes) for further similarities and differences.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I got an 11 in both Type 1 and Type 2, by far the highest of all the scores.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I got an 11 in both Type 1 and Type 2, by far the highest of all the scores.
    Hmmm. This is one of those example why taking a test once doesn't work!
    Self-analysis is necessary to to clear this up in place of more test taking.
    I want to say that ESFJs are among the types most likely to be Twos, but they are also often Ones, so it's up in the air.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hmmm. This is one of those example why taking a test once doesn't work!
    Self-analysis is necessary to to clear this up in place of more test taking.
    I want to say that ESFJs are among the types most likely to be Twos, but they are also often Ones, so it's up in the air.
    Two sounds a lot like me, but I am loath to self-type. I know I am close with N vs. S and T vs. F.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Two sounds a lot like me, but I am loath to self-type. I know I am close with N vs. S and T vs. F.
    My experience has been that determining peoples' Enneagram type is much easier than their MB type. This is because the MBTI is about internal cognitive functions which are often hard to identify. The Enneagram in contrast is a system focused more on behavior and belief. A person's Enneagram type is on the outside.

However, the problem that has come up with so many people looking to this forum for advice is that the internet makes a lot of personality qualities rather indeterminate. Partly because some attitude is simply lost in the online medium. Partly because a lot of circumstances will never come up for observation.

Whether or not you are a Two or a One is unknown to me. You could still pass for either in my mind. I know that this forum is dominated by Fives, with only slight competition from Fours. Twos are not common here, and Ones seem rare in most any environment.

I'm a One.
    Go to sleep, iguana.