• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The misassumptions people make of us

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
people make assumptions of others constantly, now is the time to unfold those times they go off the target!

Also try to explain what enneas in your triad, instincts or\and mbti type is related to those misperceptions.

For me, the most usual assumption people make is that i am an intellectual snob whose only interested in himself and thinks of all other humans as inferior. Well they got my type infj right as we are known for seemingly being stuck in our own worlds which we often are and in my case they just happen to pick on my 4w3 and theorize what evil might be where they cant see.

This misassumption is not entirely incorrect, i used to enjoy the humour of acting intellectual snob.. Its.. Uhm.. FUN! =D
the sensors dont understand my humour <.< *rolls eyes* which is why i only do it in games these days. Nowadays that humour is replaced by acting socially dumb by being silly. i really like to push the boundaries of my sexual instinct in socially undeniable ways ;)
they cant blame me cause my eyes are full of innocence =)
ahh, thank the nine for that! =) eh.. I smile too much =D

Another misassumption is that im too peaceful to stand for myself so go ahead and abuse me. I will threaten to murder you if you think so.

roastingmallows

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am a 7w6 2w3 9w8 sx/so (plus an ESFP. Whew!) People don't seem to take me seriously, and I suppose I can see why. Just imagine someone with that tritype and those instinctual variants. You imagined someone ridiculous, right? I am a little ridiculous, it's true. I'm not stupid though. I'm just unpretentious. People tend to try to give me directions in my own neighborhood and ask me if I need any help with mundane tasks such as doing laundry, or making ramen noodles...

I am kind of a loose cannon, I suppose. I don't care about money, I don't like responsibility, I'm a bit naïve in assuming there is good in everyone. HOWEVER, secretly I've always considered myself a bit of an intellectual. Since I was a kid though, I've been treated like an idiot, more or less. I like to have fun too much. I've never really bothered to learn how to do laundry properly or do long division. I got better shit to do.

Surely not all 7s are like this, but that is one of the ways that I personally tend to portray myself as a 7. I do have a few close friends that recognize my true nature, fortunately. They see me as silly but capable of rational thought. I also must say that things have improved over the years in that regard because I don't really play the "clown" all the time anymore. I am notoriously averse to serious discussion, particularly of grave matters, so I have always tried to keep things light and pleasant. I am still like that, but not so loud. XD

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17264]roastingmallows[/MENTION] i have a mother 7w6 esfp and most likely sx so too so i can see where that would come from.

I think irresponsibility is one of the core esfp traits, only enhancing 7's apparent lack of giving even the slightest attention to others well being.

I too have people expecting of me being unable to deal with mundane tasks, which is just a perfect excuse for accepting their help. While the truth is that i just dont want to deal with them.

Also people expect im serious even when i do something silly which i never would. Intuitors however tend to see through that, so to them im serious when silly ^_^
i guess my frequency of seriousness variates like a rollercoaster and i pull others too into a ride.

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
I gave in and took the test and scored as a 7w8, I have a very dual personality between darkness and light so I've grown used to people mis-perceiving things about me these past few years. I've just learned it's a choice between who's mis-perceptions are worth sticking out and when it's better off to hit the highway.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People miss my underlying 9w8 anger and presume that I'm always going to let things be.

Nah-uh.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a few misconceptions about 7w6
- we're all jittery, nervous balls of energy
- we can't be assertive when we need to be
- we're always happy
- we aren't intelligent or intellectual

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Misassumptions about 6s:

-we are blind follower of authorithy, unable to do think by ourselves
-we have no creativity
-we can't do anything unconventional, glamorous or spectacular
-we never do anything illegal
-we ne ver take risks
-all 6w5s are Republicans, all 6w7 are Democrats
-we are all SJs
-we all look like this
bush_senior_large.jpg

G

garbage

Misconceptions? If people constantly misunderstood me or where I'm coming from, I try to correct for that. ..and/or I'll be taken how I want to be taken.

Best I can think of is that I come across as much more confident than I really am. I'm confident, but not that confident.

Also, that at times I come across as more generally outgoing than I am; other times, more generally reserved than I am.

/3w4

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Misconceptions? If people constantly misunderstood me or where I'm coming from, I try to correct for that. ..and/or I'll be taken how I want to be taken.

Best I can think of is that I come across as much more confident than I really am. I'm confident, but not that confident.

Also, that at times I come across as more generally outgoing than I am; other times, more generally reserved than I am.
I usually correct mistaken assumptions that come up in established relationships, but otherwise I often let them persist for a time, especially if they involve someone underestimating me or assuming I follow some default pattern. It's just another way of holding my cards close to my chest, so I can choose when to correct which assumption.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
There aren't enough of us out there for there to be many assumptions.

G

Glycerine

I usually correct mistaken assumptions that come up in established relationships, but otherwise I often let them persist for a time, especially if they involve someone underestimating me or assuming I follow some default pattern. It's just another way of holding my cards close to my chest, so I can choose when to correct which assumption.

I am fairly similar in this regard. Other reasons why I might not correct assumptions is because I don't see any relevance or importance in doing so or it's really none of their business (it's not my job to prove myself to irrelevant people).

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5w6
We don't/can't feel things strongly
We are not aware of how we really feel about things
We're all good at math, science, and computers
We're all socially clumsy
We're all hyper intellectual people who flash our Mensa cards and talk down to the less intellectually gifted

6w5
Basically what [MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION] said

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

I do this as well, although it doesn't work as well for me because at some point...you have to be able to produce the results that make people rethink their view of you.

S

Society

the sensors dont understand my humour <.< *rolls eyes*

last night, i was hanging out with a few friends, and someone asked about Jews not liking it when other people wear "that little hat" (since apparently I'm licensed to talk for all Jews)..

I made a joke that it's because we want to be special and be a minority forever.

about 20 minutes later:

now when i said it i giggled a bit - i thought it was pretty funny, but because of the delay in the reaction for everyone else, it wasn't "hahaha" funny, it was "huh, that's sort of clever" funny.

so who failed:
did they fail at getting the joke?
did i fail at delivering it?

i can gloat in pride and say it's the first, but realistically speaking, i was the one who wanted to make others laugh and didn't achieve my goal. picking the first interpretation would basically mean being snobbish about my own failure.

being a snob is about being proud of your own failures to communicate. it's the little child pouting "i'm a good thrower! it's not my fault everyone else can't catch the ball!".

p.s.

G

garbage

Oh yeah, I forgot about the cases where misconceptions can be considered useful information and dealt with accordingly--correcting the bits that matter, when they matter.

I'll have to caveat what I said: when it's important for others to understand me, I'll want to clear them up misconceptions right away.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When people who see crazy concepts springing from an eccentric weirdo think the person is in a TiNi loop.:(

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think a 4 has contributed yet, so I figured I'd have a go.

Common misassumptions about 4's:
- We are solely ornamental and thus, useless.
- We want to be alone.
- We are anxty drama queens that can never be rational.
- We are arrogant snobs.
- We can't be satisfied in life.
- We must be Emo, Goth or some other alernative/dark style.

Last edited:

Permabanned
Just because you join a typology community, you have to be a typology snob. The nerve.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
50% of strangers interpret my constant boredom as constant hatred, many take offense and react to it but cannot articulate why they're upset... so the problem has never been fixed. I have people tell me I have an attitude problem, or that I'm a dick. Meanwhile I feel peachy and am rather confused by these accusations.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
50% of strangers interpret my constant boredom as constant hatred, many take offense and react to it but cannot articulate why they're upset... so the problem has never been fixed. I have people tell me I have an attitude problem, or that I'm a dick. Meanwhile I feel peachy and am rather confused by these accusations.

thats cause ID enneas(7,8,3) withdraw from being their true active selves and tend to appear arrogoant doing so when disintegrating, people want you to be your true uninhibited self. So yeah, its just they know theres a problem with you but dont know what else to do than point it out in hopes youd figure solution yourself. You just have to find out how to show them some positivity with your wing 7 side.