User Tag List

First 123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

So everyone pretty clearly sees the 3. Why did I even float 8 out there then?

It's because the nature of his motivational advice is so dependent on the notion of a really hostile world, and they way to succeed in this hostile world is to basically stop being a whiny bitch and start fighting. That, and he seems rather fixated on the notion that insincerity is a bad thing. This is all about the honest truth, which you don't know because unfortunately the world is filled with phonies. I don't mean to be rude, but I think the 3 is among the least concerned with sincerity of all the Enneagram types.

The world is harsh, and people are always lying to you, but it's time you overcome that by stopping lying to yourself, and toughen the fuck up. I could hear an 8 say that, and I can distill that from the article.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So everyone pretty clearly sees the 3. Why did I even float 8 out there then?
    I don't mean to be rude, but I think the 3 is among the least concerned with sincerity of all the Enneagram types.
    The world is harsh, and people are always lying to you, but it's time you overcome that by stopping lying to yourself, and toughen the fuck up. I could hear an 8 say that, and I can distill that from the article.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...agram-3-a.html

According to the 3s on this site, that is far from the case. They are trying to project their "best image" and striving to be their best.
    @bologna

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

just because I've made a few posts along those lines means NOTHING!

or anything along the lines of "you're not any more special than anyone else, so get your fucking head out of your fucking ass"

on another note, being familiar with the man in question's articles and book, has anyone considered an image focused counterphobic 6?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

garbage

@Magic Poriferan @Glycerine

I still lean toward 3, but I can see rationale for 8 after MP's explanation.

MP's actually spot-on with respect to 3s--they're typically less concerned with sincerity than many of the others. Balls-out truth in general is a standout trait of the 8, and balls-out truth about the self is a standout of.. well, the "not 3." That nuance is important because they're both seen as assertive types, and it's difficult in this case to draw a distinction.

Healthy 3s, however, are depicted as self-forgetting and actually unafraid of a bit of vulnerability and self-revelation when it comes to guiding others, e.g.
    Level 1 (At Their Best): Self-accepting, inner-directed, and authentic, everything they seem to be. Modest and charitable, self-deprecatory humor and a fullness of heart emerge. Gentle and benevolent.
    On the other hand, healthy 8s are depicted as 'protectors of the weak.'

The article could certainly be interpreted either way.
    Last edited by garbage; 12-18-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: clarity on that healthy 3s bit

Glycerine

I stand corrected. Thank you Bologna.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

my first thought was "he sounds like me"
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    just because I've made a few posts along those lines means NOTHING!

or anything along the lines of "you're not any more special than anyone else, so get your fucking head out of your fucking ass"
    I thought you were a 7 though.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    on another note, being familiar with the man in question's articles and book, has anyone considered an image focused counterphobic 6?
    I have, but I said to go on the article, didn't I?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

WALMART

I don't know, but this article resonates deep within me.

I'm tired of listening to pussy whiners complain about having to work, or what it's like not liking society, all that bullshit. Grow up and open your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    If I had to listen to that Glengary Glen Ross speech, I'd bust ass to find another job. So I'd be busting ass, but not in the way that the so-called motivator intended for me to.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wong
    As smarter people have pointed out, the genius of that speech is that half of the people who watch it think that the point of the scene is "Wow, what must it be like to have such an asshole boss?" and the other half think, "Fuck yes, let's go out and sell some goddamned real estate!"

I worked a semi-retail position with an ENTJ manager. Had to sit through a couple of these things. Made me a stronger person.

MBTI
    XXFP

I guess your expectations of this article change how you read it, but since it's on Cracked I expected something slanted and entertaining.

So it served that purpose well, and had enough grain of truth for me to say I enjoyed it.

But to really want to wake up to that movie speech every day, or to totally ignore the value of differences in "doing" compared to "being" cultures doesn't seem healthy. Neither does assuming that humanity is totally socially motivated by clear, logical incentives, though he makes a point of this with the 'it's not just money' part.

But to have it in your mind to provide value to others instead of focusing on traits that you just "are" and expecting something to just come out of that is a really valuable insight that will let you exchange so much more with the world around you.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I thought you were a 7 though.
    upon further thought and such, 8 is such a better fit!

I have, but I said to go on the article, didn't I?
    you're not the boss of me, mr sponge!

no questioning my yuletide charity...

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I worked a semi-retail position with an ENTJ manager. Had to sit through a couple of these things. Made me a stronger person.
    I used to have the departing piece of advice for my minions every morning that went "kick some ass or I'll kick yours! "

it actually worked... especially when the threat was carried through with a few times
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett