• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you tell a person's type by just looking at them?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Some things clue me in to certain types, but it's not concrete. For instance, if I see like a blonde sorority girl who's really preppy and asks very Reese Witherspoonish I will probably automatically hypothesize that she's an ESFJ or ESFP. Then if I see like a bad ass biker guy who seems wreckless, confident, is covered in tattoos, and has like hoop earrings then I will probably think that is some sort of SP type. If I see a professor at a college who seems very spacey, with his head up in the clouds, and has really strange hair, seems to have poor social skills, seems ingenious, and seems very cold an rational then I usually think he's like an INTx. Also, if I see a guy who is decked out in "Hot Topic" gear with his nails painted black, has an emo cut, looks depressed, and seems very artistic then I will probably think that he is some type of IxFx and that he is an enneagram 4.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some things clue me in to certain types, but it's not concrete. For instance, if I see like a blonde sorority girl who's really preppy and asks very Reese Witherspoonish I will probably automatically hypothesize that she's an ESFJ or ESFP. Then if I see like a bad ass biker guy who seems wreckless, confident, is covered in tattoos, and has like hoop earrings then I will probably think that is some sort of SP type. If I see a professor at a college who seems very spacey, with his head up in the clouds, and has really strange hair, seems to have poor social skills, seems ingenious, and seems very cold an rational then I usually think he's like an INTx. Also, if I see a guy who is decked out in "Hot Topic" gear with his nails painted black, has an emo cut, looks depressed, and seems very artistic then I will probably think that he is some type of IxFx and that he is an enneagram 4.

haha totally...there's this guy i always see walking his kids to school and he's got this long pony tail and he looks like a great dad...but not like the rest of them...and he's got these socks that he wears pulled up with his non sporty shoes and shorts...you just know he's either an infp or an intp...he just is...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
haha totally...there's this guy i always see walking his kids to school and he's got this long pony tail and he looks like a great dad...but not like the rest of them...and he's got these socks that he wears pulled up with his non sporty shoes and shorts...you just know he's either an infp or an intp...he just is...

On a totally random note, I've noticed that ENFP's tend to be one of the hardest types to spot just by looking at them. However, some things may clue me into the fact that someone is an ENFP. For instance, anytime I see someone rallying at like a "save the forest foundation" with a megaphone, going on about the mistreatment of animals or whatnot, I'm going to assume that this person is some sort of Fi user; probably an ENFP, INFP, or ISFP. However, I have noticed that the ENFP is the most aggressive with defending their values because of the tertiary Te. Of course, ESFP's have tertiary Te as well, but they don't really think about their values that much. ESFP's value systems tend to come out much more, "in-the-moment". As opposed to the ENFP who can literally spend hours thinking about how they feel about things.

I could be wrong, but I think that what I have noticed is that xNFP's tend to have what I would like to call "value-sonar'. Their value system is very much like a bat's sonar in that they send out signals and get back responses. For instance, ENFP's constantly take a new situation and can think "How do I feel about this". This new thing then gets tied in with their values.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people mix up enfp with isfp or esfp a lot and mistype the guy enfps as entps.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think people mix up enfp with isfp or esfp a lot and mistype the guy enfps as entps.

I can usually tell the difference between the ENTP males and ENFP males due to the Fe. Also, ENTP males tend to be extremely analytical, but the ENFP males aren't.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know, just by looking at them? They'd have to have it written on their forehead.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can usually tell the difference between the ENTP males and ENFP males due to the Fe. Also, ENTP males tend to be extremely analytical, but the ENFP males aren't.

That's true for the most part but with some it's tricky and age plays a huge factor in typing people too.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
God can. :D

Oh, wait. Is there a God?

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
If I learn about enneagram, MBTI and socionic earlier, I think I can only after some observation.

G

Glycerine

To some extent. But the outside can be quite deceiving. I think most people would have a hard time typing me if they saw me in real life because I get energized by the external world but I have always had a detached/cold personality... at first glance, I look kind of like an IXTJ. I am sure many people are like that too.

Burger King

Also, if I see a guy who is decked out in "Hot Topic" gear with his nails painted black, has an emo cut, looks depressed, and seems very artistic then I will probably think that he is some type of IxFx and that he is an enneagram 4.

This stereotype sucks. What type is typically seen as wanting to 'fit in,' to belong? This screams type 6. The brooding emo is easily a 6w5 thing as well. A four is more likely to walk by that store feeling inadequate - just another exclusive place for da kewl misunderstood kids to circle jerk and relate to one another.

Forgive the rant.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
^^^Could be either, because you do not know his motivations for dressing the way he does. Some may want to fit in to a tribe, some may want to express their inner feelings.

Two very different personalities may dress the same, two very similair personalities may dress differently.

So my answer to the OP: No, of course not.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This stereotype sucks. What type is typically seen as wanting to 'fit in,' to belong? This screams type 6. The brooding emo is easily a 6w5 thing as well. A four is more likely to walk by that store feeling inadequate - just another exclusive place for da kewl misunderstood kids to circle jerk and relate to one another.

Forgive the rant.

A good point, though the 6s-always-want-to-fit-in stereotype sucks, too. We have complicated relationships with groups.

I don't think you can tell someone's type at all by looking at them. You might be able to make a couple decent guesses as to what they're probably not, though. I do agree that 3s have a performance style that is often identifiable.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know, just by looking at them? They'd have to have it written on their forehead.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole posture/body type thing. I can say something like, all the Ones I know (myself included) tend to sit with their arms close to their body, and not make very large gestures when they talk, so they look fairly self-contained -- but so do other types. That would not be nearly enough to type someone as a One, and I'm sure there are more flamboyant Ones out in the world.
-9s, and some 9-fixes are really easy to type once I start talking to them. they just kinda give off this subtle "go with the flow" vibe that i think i'm good at picking up on, especially when we're in a group of people talking
I totally get this, with Nines that I've heard talk or Nines that I've talked with.

Do you listen to "Stuff You Should Know"? Chuck is such a 9.

I'm really bad at picking up on other types, though. Once I get to know people a little, I can generally type Threes, Eights, Ones, and Nines, and I can type Twos every once and a while, but I suck at spotting Fours, Fives, and Sixes.

Last edited:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Forgive the rant.

I could see either a four or a six doing this.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hehehe, I totally see Psy being a type 3, but I don't think he's that obvious of one. Doesn't all the fun in his video scream out "7" at first glance? :p

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Forgive the rant.

rant forgiven

actually, i have a theory about this. there's always people who are going to want to be different from the rest of the world. after a while, the social class they create starts to become more and more popular.

scary thought: emos becoming a social norm

less scary thought: people who want to be different from the social norm purposely being optimistic in stead of emo

Burger King

A good point, though the 6s-always-want-to-fit-in stereotype sucks, too. We have complicated relationships with groups.

Oops. This would be my paperbag moment. Here I'm preaching distaste for stereotypes, but am using it myself. Sorry sorry. It happens a lot.

I could see either a four or a six doing this.

Yea. What I wanted to say is that it isn't an exclusive thing. I've seen people dress and behave like that who are a variety of types. Archetypes are cool ( I like the tarot cards), but there's more to it.

^^^Could be either, because you do not know his motivations for dressing the way he does. Some may want to fit in to a tribe, some may want to express their inner feelings.

Two very different personalities may dress the same, two very similair personalities may dress differently.

So my answer to the OP: No, of course not.

Actually, I find enneatypes to be a pretty observable thing. It leaks through the individuals writing, demeanor, overall presence, thinking, etc etc. As a parlor game, it blows MBTI out of the water. As a tool for yourself, it blows MBTI out of the water again. The way it manifests are so obvious sometimes too

rant forgiven

actually, i have a theory about this. there's always people who are going to want to be different from the rest of the world. after a while, the social class they create starts to become more and more popular.

I don't know if it's this transparent though. The difference thing seems more innately or subconsciously driven. The more conscious is it is, the more lame it is, you know? As skylights mentioned - It's a complicated relationship...

As for the emo thing being a social norm. I don't even know what emo is anymore. Is it the same as depression? Because from what I've observed, depression is pretty much the norm these days. I remember hearing somewhere that Americans (I live in USA obviously) are more depressed decade after decade or something like that (don't quote me). There's also a ridiculous amount of pill popping of depression medication (this is anecdotal) so I'm sure there's statistics out there to further reinforce this. This is off topic though.

Edit: Also, I made it seem that relating to a group or whatever is more of 6 thing, but every type does this really. What I should have said was e4 builds an identity out of being different, at a fundamental level. So, while they may seek people to relate to, the awareness of their 'deficiencies' (potential rejection) and the fundamental feeling of being different (something that's twisted into an identity) is in conflict, therefore the whole process doesn't go down as smoothly as some other types.

Last edited:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Short answer...no, not really. Too easy to jump to conclusions.