User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Glycerine

To some extent. But the outside can be quite deceiving. I think most people would have a hard time typing me if they saw me in real life because I get energized by the external world but I have always had a detached/cold personality... at first glance, I look kind of like an IXTJ. I am sure many people are like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Also, if I see a guy who is decked out in "Hot Topic" gear with his nails painted black, has an emo cut, looks depressed, and seems very artistic then I will probably think that he is some type of IxFx and that he is an enneagram 4.
    This stereotype sucks. What type is typically seen as wanting to 'fit in,' to belong? This screams type 6. The brooding emo is easily a 6w5 thing as well. A four is more likely to walk by that store feeling inadequate - just another exclusive place for da kewl misunderstood kids to circle jerk and relate to one another.

Forgive the rant.

MBTI
    xxTP

^^^Could be either, because you do not know his motivations for dressing the way he does. Some may want to fit in to a tribe, some may want to express their inner feelings.

Two very different personalities may dress the same, two very similair personalities may dress differently.

So my answer to the OP: No, of course not.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This stereotype sucks. What type is typically seen as wanting to 'fit in,' to belong? This screams type 6. The brooding emo is easily a 6w5 thing as well. A four is more likely to walk by that store feeling inadequate - just another exclusive place for da kewl misunderstood kids to circle jerk and relate to one another.

Forgive the rant.
    A good point, though the 6s-always-want-to-fit-in stereotype sucks, too. We have complicated relationships with groups.

I don't think you can tell someone's type at all by looking at them. You might be able to make a couple decent guesses as to what they're probably not, though. I do agree that 3s have a performance style that is often identifiable.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I don't know, just by looking at them? They'd have to have it written on their forehead.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole posture/body type thing. I can say something like, all the Ones I know (myself included) tend to sit with their arms close to their body, and not make very large gestures when they talk, so they look fairly self-contained -- but so do other types. That would not be nearly enough to type someone as a One, and I'm sure there are more flamboyant Ones out in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    -9s, and some 9-fixes are really easy to type once I start talking to them. they just kinda give off this subtle "go with the flow" vibe that i think i'm good at picking up on, especially when we're in a group of people talking
    I totally get this, with Nines that I've heard talk or Nines that I've talked with.

Do you listen to "Stuff You Should Know"? Chuck is such a 9.

I'm really bad at picking up on other types, though. Once I get to know people a little, I can generally type Threes, Eights, Ones, and Nines, and I can type Twos every once and a while, but I suck at spotting Fours, Fives, and Sixes.
    Last edited by EJCC; 10-14-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Forgive the rant.
    I could see either a four or a six doing this.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Hehehe, I totally see Psy being a type 3, but I don't think he's that obvious of one. Doesn't all the fun in his video scream out "7" at first glance? :P

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Forgive the rant.
    rant forgiven

actually, i have a theory about this. there's always people who are going to want to be different from the rest of the world. after a while, the social class they create starts to become more and more popular.

scary thought: emos becoming a social norm

less scary thought: people who want to be different from the social norm purposely being optimistic in stead of emo
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    A good point, though the 6s-always-want-to-fit-in stereotype sucks, too. We have complicated relationships with groups.
    Oops. This would be my paperbag moment. Here I'm preaching distaste for stereotypes, but am using it myself. Sorry sorry. It happens a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I could see either a four or a six doing this.
    Yea. What I wanted to say is that it isn't an exclusive thing. I've seen people dress and behave like that who are a variety of types. Archetypes are cool ( I like the tarot cards), but there's more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    ^^^Could be either, because you do not know his motivations for dressing the way he does. Some may want to fit in to a tribe, some may want to express their inner feelings.

Two very different personalities may dress the same, two very similair personalities may dress differently.

So my answer to the OP: No, of course not.
    Actually, I find enneatypes to be a pretty observable thing. It leaks through the individuals writing, demeanor, overall presence, thinking, etc etc. As a parlor game, it blows MBTI out of the water. As a tool for yourself, it blows MBTI out of the water again. The way it manifests are so obvious sometimes too

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    rant forgiven

actually, i have a theory about this. there's always people who are going to want to be different from the rest of the world. after a while, the social class they create starts to become more and more popular.
    I don't know if it's this transparent though. The difference thing seems more innately or subconsciously driven. The more conscious is it is, the more lame it is, you know? As skylights mentioned - It's a complicated relationship...

As for the emo thing being a social norm. I don't even know what emo is anymore. Is it the same as depression? Because from what I've observed, depression is pretty much the norm these days. I remember hearing somewhere that Americans (I live in USA obviously) are more depressed decade after decade or something like that (don't quote me). There's also a ridiculous amount of pill popping of depression medication (this is anecdotal) so I'm sure there's statistics out there to further reinforce this. This is off topic though.

Edit: Also, I made it seem that relating to a group or whatever is more of 6 thing, but every type does this really. What I should have said was e4 builds an identity out of being different, at a fundamental level. So, while they may seek people to relate to, the awareness of their 'deficiencies' (potential rejection) and the fundamental feeling of being different (something that's twisted into an identity) is in conflict, therefore the whole process doesn't go down as smoothly as some other types.
    Last edited by Burger King; 10-16-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: "+ + +"

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Short answer...no, not really. Too easy to jump to conclusions.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING