• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Memories of Don Richard Riso (1946-2012)

T

The Iron Giant

Riso, who considered himself a 4w3, died of cancer on August 30th.

http://app.streamsend.com/ss/1/TauY/2302idaf8q

It is with great sadness that we write to let you know that Don passed away on August 30th at 2:07 AM in his home in Stone Ridge, New York. When the time was noted, Russ noticed that the numbers added up to nine—a tribute to Don’s life with the Enneagram.

My first memories of the man's work came from reading Personality Types in the early 1990s after a friend went to a conference that I believe featured Riso himself as a speaker, if not as THE speaker. My friend told me that Riso disliked sixes.

What are your first memories of him or his work?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Riso was, like, "The man" to me when I first started reading about Enneagram. His stuff was pretty foundational to me, especially the cycles of integration and disintegration; it was a nice blend of the spiritual with the secular. There was a lot of what I would deem "crap" floating around about the enneagram before then; I think he seriously systemized the theory and put out the first very detailed, cohesive descriptions of how the types worked, along with wings and variants. I started taking it seriously because of his work.

He put out a number of enneagram texts; I know I own 2-3 of the major ones.

It's a shame he has passed on. he was younger than my father, who is still around.

From a distance, he actually held his age pretty well:

628x471.jpg

EDIT: As a complete side note, no one ever told me that Russ Hudson was cute.

Russ.png

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Riso, who considered himself a 4w3, died of cancer on August 30th.

http://app.streamsend.com/ss/1/TauY/2302idaf8q

My first memories of the man's work came from reading Personality Types in the early 1990s after a friend went to a conference that I believe featured Riso himself as a speaker, if not as THE speaker. My friend told me that Riso disliked sixes.

What are your first memories of him or his work?

That's very sad.

W

WALMART

Does anyone particularly like sixes?

Enneagram is fascinating.

wolfy

awsm
It is, I actually learnt a lot about myself while I figured out my type.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's really sad. He along with Russ Hudson wrote some seminal works on the enneagram. He will be greatly missed in the enneagram community.

Too bad he dislikes sixes. As a proponent of the enneagram, shouldn't he know better not to show bias towards certain types?

Enneagrammar

The comment about Riso and Sixes doesn't ring true for me. I used to know Don quite well and was a member of one of his early training programs. I clearly remember ~ as it was quite a surprise to me at the time ~ how he often described Sixes as being "attractive" and "loveable" people. I am also fairly certain that his partner was a Six.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My only memory of Don, besides reading his books, was receiving a letter from him.

T

The Iron Giant

The comment about Riso and Sixes doesn't ring true for me. I used to know Don quite well and was a member of one of his early training programs. I clearly remember ~ as it was quite a surprise to me at the time ~ how he often described Sixes as being "attractive" and "loveable" people. I am also fairly certain that his partner was a Six.

That's good to know. I remember when my friend told me this, I had already read through the six description in the book (because I had just tested as one) and was thinking, "that wasn't so bad... but OK." That was a first edition of the book, and the one I have now is much newer and has Russ Hudson's work in it too. I guessed that Russ had brought some balance in, but never had the texts to compare.

My only memory of Don, besides reading his books, was receiving a letter from him.

Was it a good one? Perhaps the letter H?

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is definitely dislike directed towards him with regards to the 6 description.

Objectively, a lot of people have found that his description was "wanting" in comparison to those of others. This may be true ... but ultimately it does boil down to personal interpretation and reactions, doesn't it - and ironically kinda dependent on one's type too in some ways.

In any case ... Cristicism aside, by making Enneagrams kinda pop-culturish - by making his website and a lot of his work free, he actually did the overall Enneagram community a huge service.

I wonder how many people would've made their way to Naranjo and Maitri if the EI site didn't have such comprehensive descriptions freely available.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's good to know. I remember when my friend told me this, I had already read through the six description in the book (because I had just tested as one) and was thinking, "that wasn't so bad... but OK." That was a first edition of the book, and the one I have now is much newer and has Russ Hudson's work in it too. I guessed that Russ had brought some balance in, but never had the texts to compare.

Was it a good one? Perhaps the letter H?

There is 1 chance in 26 that you are correct.

T

The Iron Giant

There is 1 chance in 26 that you are correct.

Not really. I hear that he was biased not only against letters that look somewhat like sixes when written a certain way... but also against letters whose numeric analog contains a six or is a multiple of six. This narrows it down to only a few letters, the most popular of which is easily the letter H, for obvious reasons.

T

The Iron Giant

There is definitely dislike directed towards him with regards to the 6 description.

Objectively, a lot of people have found that his description was "wanting" in comparison to those of others. This may be true ... but ultimately it does boil down to personal interpretation and reactions, doesn't it - and ironically kinda dependent on one's type too in some ways.

In any case ... Cristicism aside, by making Enneagrams kinda pop-culturish - by making his website and a lot of his work free, he actually did the overall Enneagram community a huge service.

I wonder how many people would've made their way to Naranjo and Maitri if the EI site didn't have such comprehensive descriptions freely available.

Well said.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Too bad he dislikes sixes. As a proponent of the enneagram, shouldn't he know better not to show bias towards certain types?

Eh, I generally dislike 4s. Remind me to write some crap about them to balance things out.

Seriously though, it's unfortunate to hear that he has passed away. I have learned a lot from his writings. Good for him for leaving such a legacy.