• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Forum Statistics - % of Enneagram Types

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The following is a set of statistics on forum membership. There are three pieces of data:

Before 2010 - % of forum members who joined prior to 1/1/2010 (earlier members)
After 1/2012 - % of forum members that have posted since 1/1/2012 (active members)
Population - % of Enneagram types in Rheti testing in 1998

The point of this is to identify which predominant Enneagram types are on the forum and compare this to the Enneagram types in the overall population at large. The Rheti stats are the best ones I could find. If someone has anything better, let me know.

What would you speculate on these things:
- Why would we have so few Enneagram 9s, 6s, 1s, and 2s compared to the population at large?
- Why would we have so many Enneagram 5s and 4s compared to the population at large?
- It looks like the previous dominance of 4s and 5s may be decreasing and percentage of 6s is increasing. Thoughts as to why?
- Any other thoughts?

Call for comments from:

[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=12223]Viridian[/MENTION] [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] [MENTION=14498]Cloud of Thunder[/MENTION] [MENTION=11066]tkae.[/MENTION] [MENTION=14786]Tyrinth[/MENTION] [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] [MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION] [MENTION=9423]Aramis[/MENTION] [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] [MENTION=8046]ayoitsStepho[/MENTION] [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION] [MENTION=14598]Chloe[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION] [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] [MENTION=8244]Eilonwy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] [MENTION=12103]_Poki_[/MENTION] [MENTION=4358]Jeffster[/MENTION] [MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] [MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION] [MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION] [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] [MENTION=5111]lauranna[/MENTION] [MENTION=8543]Nerd Girl[/MENTION] [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] [MENTION=11384]Nomenclature[/MENTION] [MENTION=6202]Samsara[/MENTION] [MENTION=14]Falcarius[/MENTION] [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] [MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] [MENTION=6166]Orobas[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] [MENTION=9585]mia[/MENTION] [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] [MENTION=8888]CuriousFeeling[/MENTION] [MENTION=10780]Patches[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]Haight[/MENTION] [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6214]The Outsider[/MENTION] [MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION] [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION] [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] [MENTION=8884]Dominique[/MENTION] [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] [MENTION=10251]Red Herring[/MENTION] [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] [MENTION=404]erm[/MENTION] [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] [MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any other thoughts?
Why are the e-types not in number order on the x-axis? Makes it hard to grasp the gist quickly, plus the font is very small.

Do these e-types correlate with the distribution of MBTI types on the forum? This differs from the overall population as well. I don't know enough about the enneagram to speculate productively, except that many INs are often e5 or e4, and other threads have already discussed their (our) predisposition to online forums.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why are the e-types not in number order on the x-axis? Makes it hard to grasp the gist quickly, plus the font is very small.

Do these e-types correlate with the distribution of MBTI types on the forum? This differs from the overall population as well. I don't know enough about the enneagram to speculate productively, except that many INs are often e5 or e4, and other threads have already discussed their (our) predisposition to online forums.

It's sorted by % of current forum membership (people who have posted since 1/1/2012). I know the font is a little small. Maybe there is a way to fix that.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, I'll speculate.

- Why would we have so few Enneagram 2 and 9s compared to the population at large?
2s are too occupied trying to help people (or guilt tripping them for not reciprocating the help), and therefore don't have much time or focus left to try to understand themselves.
9s like typology; I believe many supposed 4s and 5s are actually mistyped 9s and 6s.
- Why would we have so many Enneagram 5s and 4s compared to the population at large?
5s want to acquire every sort of knowledge, while 4s are searching for their identity.

- Any other thoughts?
I believe the population of 1s, 3s and 6s is considerably bigger and the population of 4s and 5s is considerably smaller.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

There is this:

enneagrammbticorrelation.jpg

And this:

Chartofmembers.jpg

INTPs are usually 5 or 6
INFPs are usually 2, 4, 5, or 9
INFJs are usually 1, 6 or 4
INTJs are usually 1, 3, 5, 6, or 8

So, looking at that, we should have a lot of 6s. We should have a lot of 5s. INFPs and INFJs are frequently 4s.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always thought the percentage of 3s would be far greater within the population. Quite surprising they appear the lowest.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pretty much corresponds with the mbti percentages you posted i think.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pretty much corresponds with the mbti percentages you posted i think.

Well it should :). This is what the breakdown of INFPs on the forum looks like for example.

Last edited:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2 equal exfj who tend not to feel socially isolated and thus don't seek communion on the internet. 4 + 5 equal inxx which often are isolated due to intelligence on the positive end of the scale or because of self blaming (humans are designed to compare themselves to others in their environment if they feel the statistical deviation from the mean is too divergent they will feel as though probability for mating is low which will impact self-esteem and turn the individual against him/herself)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always thought the percentage of 3s would be far greater within the population. Quite surprising they appear the lowest.

I came across this.

The Personality Types (Styles) of Contemporary Countries

England
Types One, Five, and Six

United States
Types Three, Six, and Seven

France
Types Three, Four, and Seven

China
Types Three, Eight, and Nine

Japan
Types Six, Four, and Five

Germany
Types Six, Five, and Eight

Russia
Types Six, Eight, and Four

Italy
Types Eight, Two, and Seven

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/practical.asp

It doesn't make much sense to me that certain countries would have a higher percentage of some types than others - or at least not to this magnitude.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would guess that some of the INTP 5s may actually be 6s. Probably some of the INFJs, too. 6 seems to be both a somewhat negative and somewhat vague description, which could be driving people away, particularly INxx's.

I'm surprised that 6s are so low in the overall population too, actually. I was under the impression that they were common. I don't know that much about enneagram, though.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I came across this.

England
Types One, Five, and Six

United States

France

China

Japan

Germany

Russia

Italy

It doesn't make much sense to me that certain countries would have a higher percentage of some types than others - or at least not to this magnitude.
It's quite interesting I suppose. Maybe it's just the cultural expectation that differs altering certain results. Enneagram seems like a more flexible system measuring different levels of common human drives. It would be understandable if people would confuse what they themselves go for over what the community expects them to go for. A greater margin for error.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well it should :). This is what the breakdown of INFPs on the forum looks like for example.

INFPForumEnneagramTypes.jpg
Right it should. I'm sorry I thought you asked why?

But maybe the question was just why so many in e 4's and 5's

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right it should. I'm sorry I thought you asked why?

But maybe the question was just why so many in e 4's and 5's

They would have to correlate - mathematically. I'm wondering if there is a pattern of a particular enneagram type who is attracted to the forum - that is independent of MBTI type (not sure if that's clear). I am sort of thinking as I go here.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm surprised too that there are more 9's and 1's then 7's

It doesn't feeeel that way.

Burger King

What would you speculate on these things:
- Why would we have so few Enneagram 2 and 9s compared to the population at large?
- It looks like the previous dominance of 4s and 5s may be decreasing and percentage of 6s is increasing. Thoughts as to why?
- Any other thoughts?

The obvious answers:

- The internet is natural habitat for introverts. ESTJs are suppose to be very common, but they are like endangered species when it comes to online forums like these. So with that said, we can assume certain types are just more likely than other types to congregate in places like these for variety of reasons (namely the withdrawn types) .
- There is also the issue of mistyping of course. :devil:

5s want to acquire every sort of knowledge, while 4s are searching for their identity.

If we attach certain words to certain types, then we gonna get mistypes. I believe type 3, 6, and 9 are in search of identity as well. For example, type 3 would be a type likely in search of identity. Actually, that's the crux of the type once you think about it. If an e3 looks outside of themselves for worth, and that is tied to their identity, then stripping away this "mask," this external standard, would reveal an underlying hollowness, eventually leading to existential emo questions of "Who am I?" - All identity related stuff.

Personally, I've been looking into e6 or e9 to see whether I am deluding myself. There are actually strong overlappings of e4 cliques in those other types. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this according to the INFJs, INTJs and INTPs in this forum or the general population stats?

eta: My first assumption is that it must be according to the forum stats, because I'd be hard pressed to believe so many INFJs out there in the wild are e5.

Oops. Made a mistake in some of those numbers. Will fix it here:

Last edited:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They would have to correlate - mathematically. I'm wondering if there is a pattern of a particular enneagram type who is attracted to the forum - that is independent of MBTI type (not sure if that's clear). I am sort of thinking as I go here.

I would have thought 4 > 9 > 5... otherwise, not surprising to me. Although I wouldn't be surprised if conflict averse 9s opted out sooner or later.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Nice stats and presentations [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] :)

Very interesting!

I came across this.

England
Types One, Five, and Six

United States

France

China

Japan

Germany

Russia

Italy

Perhaps it would be more likely for countries to have differing makeup of enneatype, than with MBTI - after all it is influenced by environment, and culture could be a part of this.

I mean just look at the 3 types for France - it pretty much fits all the French stereotypes. :laugh: Actually, same with the US and their stereotypes, too. Although, Germany doesn't have any 1s in their main types, and that just seems wrong. :D

But yes, I would take such claims with a grain of salt.

Is this according to the INFJs, INTJs and INTPs in this forum or the general population stats?

eta: My first assumption is that it must be according to the forum stats, because I'd be hard pressed to believe so many INFJs out there in the wild are e5.
Yeah, I was going to say this but I seem to always be the one doubting such things.

BTW just to answer this question:
I think people are becoming more knowledgeable about the 6 type and realising that they were mistyped due to a lack of understanding. Perhaps equally, people are less inclined to idealise 4 and 5 traits. And maybe 6s often mistype as 4s or 5s... :thinking: