User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Cool graph.

Um, because the first 3 types (5, 4, 9) are all the "avoidant" types. If you look at the sorting of the types, it's pretty much sorted in order of how much each type typically wants to interact personally (not via computer) with other people.
    Yeah, agree that the prevalence of 4's and 5's especially is more due to both being avoidant and reclusive; very much in-their-head, more prone to self-absorption, and therefore more prone to being on internet forums; particularly psychology forums, as both will tend to have more issues with socialization/interacting with others/building positive relationships than some of the other e-types. imo.

Although there are probably some who are mistyped, I'm not really of the opinion that the reason we have so many is because many are mistyped; I think most probably are typed accurately, and it's the nature of the types themselves that make them more prevalent in this sort of online community.

As far as the absence of 1's, 2's, 3's, 8's... they're actually more prone to being 'out there' and DOING things - interacting with people, making things happen, striving towards goals, out in the world in more of a tangible/real way. Less likely to waste time on a forum. (imo)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Excuse me if any of what I write has already been covered: I didn't read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What would you speculate on these things:
    - Why would we have so few Enneagram 9s, 6s, 1s, and 2s compared to the population at large?
    We don't have an underrepresentation of 6s, but we do have an underrepresentation of 8s (along with the others you mention).

I'd say, pretty simply, that these types (9s, 8s, 1s, and 2s) are just less likely to join an internet forum to discuss typology.

- Why would we have so many Enneagram 5s and 4s compared to the population at large?
    Which is why we have such a huge overrepresentation of 5s (cuz they will), and, interestingly, 4s (4 is obviously correlated with INFP and INFJ, and every poll ever taken on any site ever related to typology about their membership has shown that INs are far and away the most likely to visit/join sites about typology, for what I figure are pretty obvious reasons [they're frickin INs, what better things do they have to do than get off thinking about stuff]). Also, 4s and 5s share a similar quality of investigation, just with 4s it has more to do with introspection and feelings and subjectivity, whereas with 5s it has more to do with inspection and logic and objectivity.

- It looks like the previous dominance of 4s and 5s may be decreasing and percentage of 6s is increasing. Thoughts as to why?
    Well, 5s and 4s are still far and away the most overrepresented, so I wouldn't go too far on that first point.

As for the representation of 6s increasing, three potential influences:

1. Greater understanding of 6s causing people to self-identify more as 6s.
    2. Increased anxiety due to the precarious state of the world causing people to self-identify more as 6s.
    3. Perhaps 6s have a higher retention rate than 5s and 4s, who, for some reason, are more likely to move on.

- Any other thoughts?
    Can you get statistics on both MBTI and Enneagram type of members?

i.e., the % of each MBTI type that falls under enneagram 1, enneagram 2, enneagram 3, etc.?

Also, is this some special ability you have as an administrator, or can regular members pull the same data?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Most of my thoughts on 4-6 have already been stated by others, so not going to repeat those. (I agree that 6 is becoming better understood and accepted, which partly explains its rise recently.)

What would you speculate on these things:
    - Why would we have so few Enneagram 9s, 6s, 1s, and 2s compared to the population at large?
    Another aspect of 9 is that 9s frequently test as other E-types. 9s are the ones most likely to sacrifice their own identity, and can do a pretty good impersonation of other E-types as required to better mesh with their environment.

2s aren't particularly popular with some people. I know an ENFP that tested as 2 (and it fit very well), but HATED the description, and decided she liked 7 more. I've seen it with another ENFP as well. The types that are more prone to accept E2 tend to be scarce on the forum.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Ah, yes, this would also explain the excess of 2s, 9s and 4s.
    Yeah. I was surprised by that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    hmm, idea. @highlander could you show us the stats broken down into male/female too please... may help.
    ^ Seconded!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Without reading the thread... 5 and 4 are often NT/NF which would show up as an imbalance.
    This seems right to me. I mean, INTP and INFP are the most common types on the forum, right? And enneagram 5 and 4 correlate with INTP and INFP? (Not even including the IxTJ Fives and INFJ Fours on the fourm.)

Honestly, the most surprising part of the graph, to me -- besides the large number of 9s/2s/4s -- is the huge increase in Sixes. What happened? Did a lot of people change type? They're over-represented now, not over-represented.

Also, the trend I notice in terms of the change in membership over time, is towards diversification of Enneagram types on the forum. Fewer of the majority types, more of the minority types. (But the types associated with SJs are still not terribly common, because, as we know, SJs generally aren't interested in internet forums in general.) I think this change is happening not because of an influx of new people of different types, but the disappearance of lots of NTs (and maybe NFs). Can't explain the departure of the NFs, but I'll bet, since this forum is asserting itself as having a very different persona from the NT-centered forums (INTPc, INTJf), the NTs may have left to join their brethren.

Another fact worth mentioning is the entrance of Personality Nation into the arena. They seem to draw the more scholarly types, and I'm sure loads of those scholarly types are Fives.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

WALMART

A lot of people are likely mistyped,

-OR-

the types that do come at a higher statistical average (fives and fours) are more intellectually inclined to explore something such as typology, versus the layman that has no interest in such trife experience (IE complacent nines). Two's, I don't know, it seems unlikely many typing themselves would type as two -_- what a dumb Enneagram type.

-OR-

something entirely different.

MBTI
    IsFJ

The 6 and 9 description bias could work pretty well. As unhealthy states go, "melancholy/depressed" and "immersed in their own bizarre thoughts" sounds kind of "better" than "neurotic/paranoid/cowardly" or "complacent/self-numbing/neglectful".

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    It's also worth noting that there are a lot of special snowflakes on the Internet and many of them may gravitate toward 4 and 5 descriptions.

It's kind of like people who think they MUST be INFJs because they're "special" and "broken" and the reason other people don't get along with them is because they're sooooo insightful and 100% right about everyone all the time, and you know, that freaks people out.
    I see you've discovered Tumblr.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet but there are far more females in the data on that link than males.

Will that not skew things?

EDIT: hmm, idea. @highlander could you show us the stats broken down into male/female too please... may help.
    That's a really good point. It could absolutely skew things. Both of the "broader population" studies have a higher percentage of females. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell who on the forum is a male or female so for comparative purposes, it makes it difficult.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

Can you get statistics on both MBTI and Enneagram type of members?

i.e., the % of each MBTI type that falls under enneagram 1, enneagram 2, enneagram 3, etc.?

Also, is this some special ability you have as an administrator, or can regular members pull the same data?
    Quickly responding on these questions - I have been using the admin interface to pull the data, but there is also this which is available to everyone:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum....php?do=search

I'm kind of busy till the weekend to run the analysis (tedious - takes a little bit of time to run the numbers, put it in a spreadsheet and produce the graphs) but it would be really interesting to look at what you suggest, which is basically the opposite of what I looked at for the individual types.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I see you've discovered Tumblr.
    Yes. Tumblr girls!

(I'll bet a lot of them are secret ISFJs.)
    Quickly responding on these questions - I have been using the admin interface to pull the data, but there is also this which is available to everyone:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum....php?do=search

I'm kind of busy till the weekend to run the analysis (tedious - takes a little bit of time to run the numbers, put it in a spreadsheet and produce the graphs) but it would be really interesting to look at what you suggest, which is basically the opposite of what I looked at for the individual types.
    Thanks for this, highlander!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Y
    Also, the trend I notice in terms of the change in membership over time, is towards diversification of Enneagram types on the forum. Fewer of the majority types, more of the minority types. (But the types associated with SJs are still not terribly common, because, as we know, SJs generally aren't interested in internet forums in general.) I think this change is happening not because of an influx of new people of different types, but the disappearance of lots of NTs (and maybe NFs). Can't explain the departure of the NFs, but I'll bet, since this forum is asserting itself as having a very different persona from the NT-centered forums (INTPc, INTJf), the NTs may have left to join their brethren.

Another fact worth mentioning is the entrance of Personality Nation into the arena. They seem to draw the more scholarly types, and I'm sure loads of those scholarly types are Fives.
    On the first bolded point - I also thought that was really interesting. It is a good thing.

On the departure of some NTs and NFs - as this thread shows - though the number of ENTPs and INFJs are up, there seems to be a slight trend towards more balancing of membership across MBTI types as well. I hadn't really noticed that. They might not at PersonalityNation because the activity on that forum seems to have slowed but could be somewhere else. There was a period over a year ago where we had significant downtime where we did lose some members. Thankfully since then, things have been pretty stable. The culture of the forum does impact the mix of members. There is one in particular I was on for a short bit that I got turned off of specifically due to what I felt was heavy handed moderation. My reaction come to think of it may have something to do with being an Enneagram 6! This forum has always attempted to cater to all types. If anyone has ideas as to how we can involve or attract more diversity, that would be a good discussion to have.

Tri-type 639