MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    You definitely have strong Ne

One thing to consider with the SF 9 is that they may point out obvious and simple observations and conclusions. Things do not always need to be so complicated as we make them. There is value in that perspective.

CP6
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Yes, yes, just hard for me to accept when I wish to engage in discussion. They just seem to be like platitudes and it frustrates me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Beauty View Post
    *scoffs and death glares*

Intellectually lazy, I am not. My thinking is not anything close to "simple," it's just that some of us just can't be arsed to focus on the details or have a hard time explaining things without being overly concise or long winded. And the bit about not trying to find the depth in something is more of a cognitive issue or coming across people on forums who happen to be 9s with a poor understanding of theory than an actual type 9 issue. There are some 9s with a great depth of understanding when it comes to theory.

This made me laugh.

I admire people who can say in one sentence what I say in 20 paragraphs. I also love reading long, analytical posts which tended to collect on the 5 forum on Perc - there are often gems buried in those rants. I'd venture to guess that not all of those people were correctly typed; but it was still interesting that the 5 forum created such an atmosphere.

It's definitely an easy assumption to make about 9s - that psycho-spiritual laziness would necessitate general laziness and unproductivity. Just as easily, people could assume all 5s are emotionless robots who don't attach to anyone (pathological detachment) and 8s are cruel to anyone they meet, and enjoy it (sadistic personality) .... and such assumptions are not NECESSARILY entirely off-base, given the nature of each type. Such things are the pitfalls and potentials of a type at their worst. But, with 9s, I think the laziness, even at its worst, does tend to be more of the psycho-spiritual variety. I think you can have a generally lazy 9 (or generally lazy person of any type) but you can also have a highly productive 9, who is more lax when it comes to introspection about herself or resolving conflicts that make her uncomfortable. To a 5, who interprets mindlife as "life," and whose very nature is to dig into everything , be objective and get to the bottom of it, this might register as general laziness. But to me, if a person is doing something with her life, I can't see her as lazy, because I look at the actions people take more than I look at the mind, by default. So I'll just ask myself, "Why does this person consider herself lazy when she has so many accomplishments and talents and passions?" (with regard to a 9) --- I've also found 9s to be so focused on what they're good at or what they're doing (they are still gut types after all) and since they are averse to conflict, they work out well in situations like where I'm the band leader and I need skilled people to play with.

I had a guitar player who was a 9 and a bassist who was a 5, and I'd say they were both equally skilled. The guitarist is actually more productive, overall, in that he recorded his own album entirely by himself at home on a cheap PC, using all of the drum machines, playing every instrument, etc; but he barely took it upon himself to get an education in music - just picked up what he could, when he could. Meanwhile the bassist 5 went to music school and learned the craft like a pro, and collected more knowledge about music than anyone else I've ever played with, but won't record anything of his own at home because he's so worried about the quality not being good enough. He has to save up the money to do it right - a mentality I actually relate to more than I like to admit. I don't want to put time into something unless it's the final product; something I'm serious about.

Anyway in my band the 9 fit right in to the band 'sound' and just absorbed the "feel" and became a part of it. He still presented his own ideas, but he would always say things like, "It's your band, and your songs, and you put all the work in with managing, promoting, etc, but I think if you want it to sound awesome, maybe we could try it this way? [Expresses idea] - but it's entirely up to you, of course." Meanwhile the 5 had his own ideas about how EVERYTHING should be. Both of them loved my concept and music, but the 5 is just so competency-focused and he had lists of how other bands do it, with sources to back up his opinions, specifics, and standards. He also thought out of the box and had so many reasons and so much learning and information and knowledge, and always thought he knew better. Some of his ideas were great and really helpful but sometimes he just couldn't give up control and take a leap of faith, or accept that there was another way to do things. While that is a great challenge, it can also be disruptive to band cohesiveness. Being the pragmatic 8SX leader that I am, sometimes I need someone to just accept the premise and obey, dammit. My argument was often, "Look, I studied music all my life until I was 16, and I know my theory; but I need to remind you that John Lennon never took a lesson in his life, and broke every rule in the book without even knowing the rules - so who are you to tell someone else how theory ought to be used?"

But at the same time, the mindlife of a 5 DOES excite me, and since I am not a positive outlook type myself, I love indulging in the nitty-gritty and having 5's tell me, to my face, that I'm not introspecting enough, or my post didn't make the point I intended, or my novel is written wrong for XYZ reasons, or I am failing to grasp a theory, or too many of my songs have the same three chords in a row. I *love* the intellectual stimulation and challenge that I could probably get even from a 5 whose IQ is 20 points lower than mine (unlikely scenario but hey..) ... just because of the way that they operate.

So I can see why there could be a divide between these two mindsets, even if they both seem viable from my point of view.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    To a 5, who interprets mindlife as "life," and whose very nature is to dig into everything
    Yes, very true. I suppose MBTI types matters a lot too but meh.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Yes, very true. I suppose MBTI types matters a lot too but meh.
    It probably does matter in the way that people interpret each other?
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I would say that both Enneagram and MBTI affect how people interpret each other, which is their primary utility in my mind.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Well, part, part in how they are able to use their cognition with or against their enneatype.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!