• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confused about how the enneagram works

A

A_priori

Hello,

I have been following Socionics and the MBTI for about a year now and am having no problems understanding the general idea. However what I am not undertanding is how excatly you correlate you end result. For example I took the enneagram and my two highest categories were 4 and 1, 4 being the highest scoring and 1 being the second highest scoring. I assume this means I am a 4w1, does it not? I understand the part of the test that tells you what your instinctual varients are but am unsure if I am doing something wrong as I have been under the impression I am a 4w1.. Is this possible?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some have independently chosen to discard the traditional wing system and assign either no wings or any number wing, but conventionally wings may only be either number next to your primary number, so either 4w3 or 4w5. The interesting thing about scoring 4 and then 1 is that 1 is 4's "growth point", or "integration point", the personality towards which an average 4 moves as they become more healthy (becoming more idealistic, principled, and pragmatic).

The paths move as such:

E-Integrate.gif

1-7-5-8-2-4-1
9-3-6-9

(from enneagraminstitute.com)

And someone under stress or becoming less healthy will typically display traits of the number in the opposite direction (as a 4, you would be likely to begin to demonstrate the clinginess of 2.)

As for wings, it's often discussed that people can display wing traits in any strength, from having virtually no wing and being a "pure" type, to demonstrating qualities of both wings and being an "omni" type, to leaning so heavily towards one or the other side that it is difficult to tell which type they are between the two. My own wing is light enough that I question it from time to time.

A 4w5 will generally be more introverted, analytical, independent, innovative, iconoclastic, and reflective. A 4w3 will typically be more exhibitionist, prolific, ambiverted, dramatic, colorful, and aesthetic - as an INFJ, I imagine that if you are 4w5, you lean closer to INTJ or INTP, while if you are 4w3, you lean closer to INFP or ENFJ.

However, if you feel 4w1 describes you more accurately as a person, most people here should understand what you mean by that notation, regardless of whether they disagree with it canonically.

You may also want to look into "tritype" notation, where you identify and stack the numbers which fit you best from each of the 3 triads: heart (2, 3, 4), mind (5, 6, 7), and body (8, 9, 1); you may identify as 4-1-?, or more specifically 4w?-1w?-?w?.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I have been following Socionics and the MBTI for about a year now and am having no problems understanding the general idea. However what I am not undertanding is how excatly you correlate you end result. For example I took the enneagram and my two highest categories were 4 and 1, 4 being the highest scoring and 1 being the second highest scoring. I assume this means I am a 4w1, does it not? I understand the part of the test that tells you what your instinctual varients are but am unsure if I am doing something wrong as I have been under the impression I am a 4w1.. Is this possible?

It likely means that you're a healthy 4 who's well-integrated into 1 (the 4's integration point) and/or that you have a 1-fix in your tritype.

A

A_priori

Some have independently chosen to discard the traditional wing system and assign either no wings or any number wing, but conventionally wings may only be either number next to your primary number, so either 4w3 or 4w5. The interesting thing about scoring 4 and then 1 is that 1 is 4's "growth point", or "integration point", the personality towards which an average 4 moves as they become more healthy (becoming more idealistic, principled, and pragmatic).

The paths move as such:

E-Integrate.gif

1-7-5-8-2-4-1
9-3-6-9

(from enneagraminstitute.com)

And someone under stress or becoming less healthy will typically display traits of the number in the opposite direction (as a 4, you would be likely to begin to demonstrate the clinginess of 2.)

As for wings, it's often discussed that people can display wing traits in any strength, from having virtually no wing and being a "pure" type, to demonstrating qualities of both wings and being an "omni" type, to leaning so heavily towards one or the other side that it is difficult to tell which type they are between the two. My own wing is light enough that I question it from time to time.

A 4w5 will generally be more introverted, analytical, independent, innovative, iconoclastic, and reflective. A 4w3 will typically be more exhibitionist, prolific, ambiverted, dramatic, colorful, and aesthetic - as an INFJ, I imagine that if you are 4w5, you lean closer to INTJ or INTP, while if you are 4w3, you lean closer to INFP or ENFJ.

However, if you feel 4w1 describes you more accurately as a person, most people here should understand what you mean by that notation, regardless of whether they disagree with it canonically.

You may also want to look into "tritype" notation, where you identify and stack the numbers which fit you best from each of the 3 triads: heart (2, 3, 4), mind (5, 6, 7), and body (8, 9, 1); you may identify as 4-1-?, or more specifically 4w?-1w?-?w?.

Thats some really interesting info.. If I remember correctly the numbers 6 and 9 were also quite high.. I can definitely identify with some FI traits in my group of functions and follow Socionics more closely than the MBTI. I must say the enneagram is really starting to peek my curiosity. Thank you for the in depth information. It sounds like you really know your stuff!!

Maybe I will take it again and take a screen shot to share. Any recommendations for best sites?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Thank you Zara.. Any particular test you find most accurate ?

I would do the similar minds short test first, then follow that up with the long test from the same site. I think the best (common) tests incorporate a sliding 1-5 scale in their answers, not forced-choice either/or. The long test is more accurate, but, obviously, well, takes longer. You can figure out if you like the format by taking the shorter test. It will likely point you in the right direction, but there will be more noise. http://similarminds.com/test.html http://similarminds.com/advtest.html

After that, tbh, I would recommend a paid test that is not on that list from enneagram.net. It's really good, unique, and will not only give you your normal enneagram type and wing, but also your tritype. It's like no other test I've ever taken, and I think the results are very solid. I've recommended it to a number of friends, and they've all had the same reaction. It costs $10 (and, ftr, I have no affiliation with the site whatsoever). http://www.enneagram.net/tests/index.html