123 Last

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Surprising Enneagram Four Description

I came across something today that surprised me. It was a tiny description of self-preservational fours. I hadn't realized that fours could actually be very present-focused and (physical) comfort-focused. Perhaps it was a bad description. I don't know. Anyway, here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-4.html

Self-Preservation 4 - Seeking Safety/Comfort

Udit Patel "The Sensualist (Ichazo's "Reckless/Dauntless")"

Self-Preservation Fours focus their envy and hypersensitivity on their concerns about their immediate environment and on their quest for physical comfort. They attempt to deal with emotional issues by surrounding themselves with as much luxury and beauty as they can afford, by indulging in their favorite foods, and by giving themselves "consolation prizes" for their suffering. They might be disappointed about a job situation or a failing relationship, and so stay up late at night drinking expensive cognac and watching a favorite movie. Self-Pres Fours are particularly sensitive to comfort issues—the temperature of a room, the quality of the lighting, the humidity or lack of it, the weather—all produce powerful emotional responses. Self-Pres Fours become frustrated that the environment is insufficiently attuned to their personal needs. Attempts to control the environment and self-indulgence in rich foods, drink, drugs, or other sensual distractions can exhaust Self-Pres Fours, leaving them unable to function well outside of their own narrowing world.
    I just wanted some comments/feedback. So far my understanding of the enneagram system and each of its types extends only to what I've been able to read on the internet so I'd love feedback about this or actually anything about fours in general. Fours are one of the types that catch my interest...they seem sort of different in a very appealing way.

Thanks.

Enneagram
    1w2

Moved to MBTI, Enneagram, and other personality matrices

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

hmm I suppose I should go find an enneagram forum...

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I find it quite alarming. And here I thought I was improving.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    I find it quite alarming. And here I thought I was improving.
    What?

MBTI
    OMNi

I have some nasty habits as an sp 4. I watch excessive amounts of anime, eat a lot of fast food, become obsessed about getting the room the right temperature, etc. So that description is fairly accurate. However, those things decrease significantly the more socially involved I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I concur. I have the same issues sometimes. When I'm stressed out or upset, I'll go get myself a book or candy or something "because I deserve it for having gone through all that mess." It's not as negative as it sounds, though. It certainly improves my morale and makes me want to get out of the mess I'm in. I also can get hypersensitive to my environment to the point that I can get an anxiety attack from too much sensation (when it might be something as small as the AC unit making a humming noise or someone tapping their foot...it'll drive me mad).

And as with Kiddo, the more energy I have put out of myself, the less these things occur.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The sp is something I've seen in Fours I've known. No surprise there. The ones I knew under stress could easily become absorbed in things with lots of sensation (rich visuals, rich foods, anything with exquisite sensation of some sort... it was an escapist coping mechanism for them). I even saw them spend money they didn't have (which seems backwards for an self-pres, but it's true) to satisfy the need for consolation through sensation.

As point of contrasts, Fives can sometimes go the opposite way if they're sp, and make their lives stark to reduce dependence on the external.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

Sounds familiar.

I have a tendency to cycle between seeking physical comfort and safety and being absolutely reckless. I am either deeply rooted in my body or not there at all -- there's very little in between.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Any socionics fans out there?

This description sounds very socionics Si.