• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type 1 v. Type 5.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Are you a type 1 who previously mistyped as type 5?
Or vice versa?
Otherwise had any difficulty deciding between the two?
What were the main factors that helped you realize you were one and not the other?

http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/04/enneagram-misidentifications-type-5.html
Mistyping frequency: sometimes (5w6 and 1s can resemble each other).

Five
Thought
Uncertain
Disturbs people
Impractical
Playful
Ingenious
Non-judgmental
Confuse
Withdrawn
Detached
Imaginative
Inductive logic
Questions rules
Discovery
Iconoclast

One
Action
Certain
Convinces people
Practical
Rigid
Correct
Judgmental
Discerning
Controlling
Involved
Realistic
Deductive logic
Follows rules
Perfection
Moralist.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In online tests I almost exclusively test as a 5, because the questions oriented towards type 1 usually focus on morality in the traditional "murder is bad, being nice is good" black-and-whiteness, while I'm more of a relativist as much as I value many of the rules and social contracts that keeps civilisation trucking along (somewhat) efficiently. I'm also very detached, withdrawn, and rather asocial, which are 5 traits, but also characteristic of INTJ.

I realised I was a 1 upon taking the descriptions a little less literally. I recognised my judging, perfectionist nature and tendency to suppress my anger to remain calm and clear-headed, and out of frustration for being unable to control my emotions.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've known 1s to be pretty cool people, and on the outside, both 1s and 5s can be very socially awkward. (Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" 1w9 SP and for lack of a better example, Hannibal Lechtor from "Silence of the Lambs" 5w4 SX)

The key difference though is 1's love of structure and 5's disregard for structure, and this will come out A LOT if you pair a 1 and a 5 together for any kind of project (especially an SP 1 with a non-SP 5).

5's motto "Do whatever you feel like will work, and if you get the desired result, you did something right"

1's motto "Stick strictly to the rules and you know 100% that it'll turn out the way you want it"

5s cut down on 1s love of structure and 1s cut down on whatever creativity 5s show by deviating from the set way of doing things.

^^^
That is what I would say is the biggest difference between 5 and 1

(If someone wants to expand on this be my guest, I imagine I misrepresented the 1's side of the story at least a little bit without trying to)

EDIT: (also would be helpful to get a 5 example of social awkwardness not sociopathical tendancies :p)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I initially thought I was an ennegram 1. This was also at the time I mistyped myself as an INTJ. I realized I'm far less certain and rigid about things, more likely to question rules, and far more passive. I can be practical when I need to be but by nature I'm more inclined to be theoretical and in my head.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I realised I was a 1 upon taking the descriptions a little less literally. I recognised my judging, perfectionist nature and tendency to suppress my anger to remain calm and clear-headed, and out of frustration for being unable to control my emotions.
I wonder if there's a tendency of a type 1, after a fight, to get back to a certain detachment by acknowledging the points of or praising the person with whom he had just had the argument. A sort of reassurance that he can't be angry; he's above that.

The key difference though is 1's love of structure and 5's disregard for structure, and this will come out A LOT if you pair a 1 and a 5 together for any kind of project (especially an SP 1 with a non-SP 5).

5's motto "Do whatever you feel like will work, and if you get the desired result, you did something right"

1's motto "Stick strictly to the rules and you know 100% that it'll turn out the way you want it"

I can see the mottos' salience, but I think 5s often have a highly structured way of viewing things, just not necessarily a highly structured way of doing things (depending on the 5). This comes out again in discussions with the suspected type 1. We may both have conceptual boxes. But he seems more structured in approaching tasks, whereas I'm more structured in categorizing things. It seems to me that the 1 only has use for categories/distinctions when it suits some end he's already determined, as opposed to starting with the distinctions and following them down the line to see what end there is.

I initially thought I was an ennegram 1. This was also at the time I mistyped myself as an INTJ. I realized I'm far less certain and rigid about things, more likely to question rules, and far more passive.
Hmm...Fittingly, this is an intj.
Yet, we can both be rigid in ways similar to the prior paragraph. I'm probably even quicker to write people off once they've shown themselves to be unprincipled hypocrites.
Then again, 1 is high on my enneagram, too.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm...Fittingly, this is an intj.
Yet, we can both be rigid in ways similar to the prior paragraph. I'm probably even quicker to write people off once they've shown themselves to be unprincipled hypocrites.
Then again, 1 is high on my enneagram, too.

I think there's a difference between INTJ 5 and INTJ 1. INTJ 1 outwardly appearing more rigid and absolute about stuff. INTJ 5 outwardly appearing more laid back and passive.
Still think I'm an INTP 5 though.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I think there's a difference between INTJ 5 and INTJ 1. INTJ 1 outwardly appearing more rigid and absolute about stuff. INTJ 5 outwardly appearing more laid back and passive.
Still think I'm an INTP 5 though.

oh, I didn't mean to suggest you were not INTP 5. Just highlighting the different types of rigidity. As an intp 5 I definitely seem more laid back to start than the intj 1(?), but that's somewhat superficial.

VagrantFarce

1s are body-based - certain, rigid, better, good, involved.
5s are head-based - detached, thoughtful, hidden, fearful.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ that works

I also read on enneagram forums that 5s tend to lack internal structure and so they seek it outside in form of natural laws, the universal order of things. For Ones this order is internal. Instead of seeking it, they carry it within themselves and try to impose it on those surrounding them.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My INTJ former roommate is a 1w9 but tested as a 5 and said, and I quote, "I act just like that, but the motivation is completely different." She does tend to shy away from the world, but it's not because she's afraid of it, it's because she's disillusioned with how it fails to meet her ideals.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see the mottos' salience, but I think 5s often have a highly structured way of viewing things, just not necessarily a highly structured way of doing things (depending on the 5). This comes out again in discussions with the suspected type 1. We may both have conceptual boxes. But he seems more structured in approaching tasks, whereas I'm more structured in categorizing things. It seems to me that the 1 only has use for categories/distinctions when it suits some end he's already determined, as opposed to starting with the distinctions and following them down the line to see what end there is.
I think the distinction lies not so much between structure in viewing vs. doing, but rather between whether the source of the structure is internal vs. external. See below.

I also read on enneagram forums that 5s tend to lack internal structure and so they seek it outside in form of natural laws, the universal order of things. For Ones this order is internal. Instead of seeking it, they carry it within themselves and try to impose it on those surrounding them.
It has seemed the opposite to me, namely that 1's see more benefit in following external structures, while 5s have little regard for those, preferring to make their own. Natural laws are the theories people like 5s develop from observation of physical phenomena. The kind of external structure 1s favor comes seems more derived from people and societies. I see this contrast in the highlighted attributes from the two type lists:

Five
Thought
Uncertain
Disturbs people
Impractical
Playful
Ingenious
Non-judgmental
Confuse
Withdrawn
Detached
Imaginative
Inductive logic
Questions rules
Discovery
Iconoclast

One
Action
Certain
Convinces people
Practical
Rigid
Correct
Judgmental
Discerning
Controlling
Involved
Realistic
Deductive logic
Follows rules
Perfection
Moralist.

Working On It

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
^ that works

This without the "try to impose it on others."

When I look at the two lists I know I am definitely a 1. But when reading comments there seems to be a disconnect on how these traits are played out in the person. I am very creative and being controlled (not controlling) allows for greater creativity with a higher quality output. But the thought of spending my limited energy to control another would instantly exhaust me.

I'm not saying other 1's do not fall into controlling behavior. I'm sure you all know plenty that do. I have always seen controlling as the codependency problem of Axis II personality disorder. As a 1 I am too realistic/discerning to embrace codependency.