User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default Type 1 v. Type 5.

Are you a type 1 who previously mistyped as type 5?
    Or vice versa?
    Otherwise had any difficulty deciding between the two?
    What were the main factors that helped you realize you were one and not the other?

http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/04/...ns-type-5.html
    Mistyping frequency: sometimes (5w6 and 1s can resemble each other).

Five
    Thought
    Uncertain
    Disturbs people
    Impractical
    Playful
    Ingenious
    Non-judgmental
    Confuse
    Withdrawn
    Detached
    Imaginative
    Inductive logic
    Questions rules
    Discovery
    Iconoclast

One
    Action
    Certain
    Convinces people
    Practical
    Rigid
    Correct
    Judgmental
    Discerning
    Controlling
    Involved
    Realistic
    Deductive logic
    Follows rules
    Perfection
    Moralist.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

In online tests I almost exclusively test as a 5, because the questions oriented towards type 1 usually focus on morality in the traditional "murder is bad, being nice is good" black-and-whiteness, while I'm more of a relativist as much as I value many of the rules and social contracts that keeps civilisation trucking along (somewhat) efficiently. I'm also very detached, withdrawn, and rather asocial, which are 5 traits, but also characteristic of INTJ.

I realised I was a 1 upon taking the descriptions a little less literally. I recognised my judging, perfectionist nature and tendency to suppress my anger to remain calm and clear-headed, and out of frustration for being unable to control my emotions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

I've known 1s to be pretty cool people, and on the outside, both 1s and 5s can be very socially awkward. (Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" 1w9 SP and for lack of a better example, Hannibal Lechtor from "Silence of the Lambs" 5w4 SX)

The key difference though is 1's love of structure and 5's disregard for structure, and this will come out A LOT if you pair a 1 and a 5 together for any kind of project (especially an SP 1 with a non-SP 5).

5's motto "Do whatever you feel like will work, and if you get the desired result, you did something right"

1's motto "Stick strictly to the rules and you know 100% that it'll turn out the way you want it"

5s cut down on 1s love of structure and 1s cut down on whatever creativity 5s show by deviating from the set way of doing things.

^^^
    That is what I would say is the biggest difference between 5 and 1

(If someone wants to expand on this be my guest, I imagine I misrepresented the 1's side of the story at least a little bit without trying to)

EDIT: (also would be helpful to get a 5 example of social awkwardness not sociopathical tendancies :P)
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I initially thought I was an ennegram 1. This was also at the time I mistyped myself as an INTJ. I realized I'm far less certain and rigid about things, more likely to question rules, and far more passive. I can be practical when I need to be but by nature I'm more inclined to be theoretical and in my head.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Owlesque View Post
    I realised I was a 1 upon taking the descriptions a little less literally. I recognised my judging, perfectionist nature and tendency to suppress my anger to remain calm and clear-headed, and out of frustration for being unable to control my emotions.
    I wonder if there's a tendency of a type 1, after a fight, to get back to a certain detachment by acknowledging the points of or praising the person with whom he had just had the argument. A sort of reassurance that he can't be angry; he's above that.

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    The key difference though is 1's love of structure and 5's disregard for structure, and this will come out A LOT if you pair a 1 and a 5 together for any kind of project (especially an SP 1 with a non-SP 5).

5's motto "Do whatever you feel like will work, and if you get the desired result, you did something right"

1's motto "Stick strictly to the rules and you know 100% that it'll turn out the way you want it"
    I can see the mottos' salience, but I think 5s often have a highly structured way of viewing things, just not necessarily a highly structured way of doing things (depending on the 5). This comes out again in discussions with the suspected type 1. We may both have conceptual boxes. But he seems more structured in approaching tasks, whereas I'm more structured in categorizing things. It seems to me that the 1 only has use for categories/distinctions when it suits some end he's already determined, as opposed to starting with the distinctions and following them down the line to see what end there is.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I initially thought I was an ennegram 1. This was also at the time I mistyped myself as an INTJ. I realized I'm far less certain and rigid about things, more likely to question rules, and far more passive.
    Hmm...Fittingly, this is an intj.
    Yet, we can both be rigid in ways similar to the prior paragraph. I'm probably even quicker to write people off once they've shown themselves to be unprincipled hypocrites.
    Then again, 1 is high on my enneagram, too.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    Hmm...Fittingly, this is an intj.
    Yet, we can both be rigid in ways similar to the prior paragraph. I'm probably even quicker to write people off once they've shown themselves to be unprincipled hypocrites.
    Then again, 1 is high on my enneagram, too.
    I think there's a difference between INTJ 5 and INTJ 1. INTJ 1 outwardly appearing more rigid and absolute about stuff. INTJ 5 outwardly appearing more laid back and passive.
    Still think I'm an INTP 5 though.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I think there's a difference between INTJ 5 and INTJ 1. INTJ 1 outwardly appearing more rigid and absolute about stuff. INTJ 5 outwardly appearing more laid back and passive.
    Still think I'm an INTP 5 though.
    oh, I didn't mean to suggest you were not INTP 5. Just highlighting the different types of rigidity. As an intp 5 I definitely seem more laid back to start than the intj 1(?), but that's somewhat superficial.
    hoarding time and space

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Reading this article and this one.

1s are body-based - certain, rigid, better, good, involved.
    5s are head-based - detached, thoughtful, hidden, fearful.
    Hello

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

^ that works

I also read on enneagram forums that 5s tend to lack internal structure and so they seek it outside in form of natural laws, the universal order of things. For Ones this order is internal. Instead of seeking it, they carry it within themselves and try to impose it on those surrounding them.