User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

My INTJ former roommate is a 1w9 but tested as a 5 and said, and I quote, "I act just like that, but the motivation is completely different." She does tend to shy away from the world, but it's not because she's afraid of it, it's because she's disillusioned with how it fails to meet her ideals.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    I can see the mottos' salience, but I think 5s often have a highly structured way of viewing things, just not necessarily a highly structured way of doing things (depending on the 5). This comes out again in discussions with the suspected type 1. We may both have conceptual boxes. But he seems more structured in approaching tasks, whereas I'm more structured in categorizing things. It seems to me that the 1 only has use for categories/distinctions when it suits some end he's already determined, as opposed to starting with the distinctions and following them down the line to see what end there is.
    I think the distinction lies not so much between structure in viewing vs. doing, but rather between whether the source of the structure is internal vs. external. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    I also read on enneagram forums that 5s tend to lack internal structure and so they seek it outside in form of natural laws, the universal order of things. For Ones this order is internal. Instead of seeking it, they carry it within themselves and try to impose it on those surrounding them.
    It has seemed the opposite to me, namely that 1's see more benefit in following external structures, while 5s have little regard for those, preferring to make their own. Natural laws are the theories people like 5s develop from observation of physical phenomena. The kind of external structure 1s favor comes seems more derived from people and societies. I see this contrast in the highlighted attributes from the two type lists:

Five
    Thought
    Uncertain
    Disturbs people
    Impractical
    Playful
    Ingenious
    Non-judgmental
    Confuse
    Withdrawn
    Detached
    Imaginative
    Inductive logic
    Questions rules
    Discovery
    Iconoclast

One
    Action
    Certain
    Convinces people
    Practical
    Rigid
    Correct
    Judgmental
    Discerning
    Controlling
    Involved
    Realistic
    Deductive logic
    Follows rules
    Perfection
    Moralist.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    ^ that works

I also read on enneagram forums that 5s tend to lack internal structure and so they seek it outside in form of natural laws, the universal order of things. For Ones this order is internal. Instead of seeking it, they carry it within themselves and try to impose it on those surrounding them.
    This without the "try to impose it on others."

When I look at the two lists I know I am definitely a 1. But when reading comments there seems to be a disconnect on how these traits are played out in the person. I am very creative and being controlled (not controlling) allows for greater creativity with a higher quality output. But the thought of spending my limited energy to control another would instantly exhaust me.

I'm not saying other 1's do not fall into controlling behavior. I'm sure you all know plenty that do. I have always seen controlling as the codependency problem of Axis II personality disorder. As a 1 I am too realistic/discerning to embrace codependency.