User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXX
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Default and what about NO wing?

My husband. I can't for the life of me figure out his wing. I don't believe he has one? He is a type 9 Peacemaker through and through, and neither 8 nor 1 make ANY sense.
    The Enneagram is not a main tool of mine, so I don't have enough books or research to address this issue.

Opinions fine, knowledge preferred.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

It's possible, but not very likely that he'd have no traits of either type. He could be mistyped.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My father is like that too. A type 9 and difficult to pin down his wing. I'd say he's slightly closer to 8 wing but he doesn't have much of either 8 or 1. I think some people just have weaker wings.

I don't think he's mistyped. He just doesn't fit any of the other types. I kinda see some 5w6 but I think that's his head fix. 9 clearly fits him the best.

I've known others who have strongly identified with their enneagram type but have not identified with either of the wings.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INXX
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Default yes

I don't think my husband is mistyped either. He scored like an 18 in 9, and under 13 in all the others. It also fits him so well from the spiritual perspective and the holy sufferings or whatever those Fourth Way people called them.

Nobody really talks about the Enneagram that way on this board. It's actually a pretty interesting system based on the presup that when we are born, we are ripped from heaven and thrown onto Earth with parents that give us love that is a sorry excuse for the love we received before human birth. It's totally dramatic and totally awesome. So everyone's type therefore, is developed in infancy as a way to cope with the inherent suffering and impure love we receive as babies. Poor little Peacemakers feel unappreciated and their inner selves/lives ignored by their parents.
    This fits my husband tooo perfectly.
    I think the original writers would have thought all "wings" are BS, but I'm not sure.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Pansophie View Post
    I don't think my husband is mistyped either. He scored like an 18 in 9, and under 13 in all the others. It also fits him so well from the spiritual perspective and the holy sufferings or whatever those Fourth Way people called them.

Nobody really talks about the Enneagram that way on this board. It's actually a pretty interesting system based on the presup that when we are born, we are ripped from heaven and thrown onto Earth with parents that give us love that is a sorry excuse for the love we received before human birth. It's totally dramatic and totally awesome. So everyone's type therefore, is developed in infancy as a way to cope with the inherent suffering and impure love we receive as babies. Poor little Peacemakers feel unappreciated and their inner selves/lives ignored by their parents.
    This fits my husband tooo perfectly.
    I think the original writers would have thought all "wings" are BS, but I'm not sure.
    The original writers - how far back are we going? - thought there were two wings. That's why they are called wings.

The Enneagram is discussed frequently on this forum, unless you mean the theory itself or the Fourth Way. I've tried to discuss the latter but few seem to know what it is. They want to talk about the latest theories, not the older stuff.

I had some of my Enneagram writings published in the Enneagram Monthly.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

I find that wings are harder ti figure out with 9s in particular. Also, the tests are flawed. They're meant to point you on the right track to figuring out your type, not tell you what it is and set it in stone. I tested just for fun a few times, and the most recent one came up as 6 :P also, I have a friend that I typed as 4w3, she took the test and came up as 8w7, which I really highly doubt. I thought about it though, and decided she's probably 7 (haven't figured out the wing yet).
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

My husband tested as a 1 with "balanced" wings. After reading up on them, I think he leans slightly more towards 1w9 though. So maybe your husband just has balanced wings?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    I find that wings are harder ti figure out with 9s in particular. Also, the tests are flawed. They're meant to point you on the right track to figuring out your type, not tell you what it is and set it in stone. I tested just for fun a few times, and the most recent one came up as 6 :P also, I have a friend that I typed as 4w3, she took the test and came up as 8w7, which I really highly doubt. I thought about it though, and decided she's probably 7 (haven't figured out the wing yet).
    4w3 "resonates" with 8. They are look-alikes.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Personally, I don't think the wings have much merit other than coincidence. Why is a type 9 required to have the traits of either a 1 or an 8? If you check out my own Enneagram thread, I landed on 953 as my tritype, which not only syncs up with all the tests I took (RHETI and the Fauvres' included), and explains my motivations/behaviors much better than 9w1 or 9w8 or 5w6. Interestingly, the RHETI test points out that I score strongly in 8 and 9 and 1, making it remarkably difficult to pin down a wing as type 9. And though I identify with aspects of 8 and 1, I really don't find any synergy with the 9w1 or 9w8.

Overall, I find that the Enneagram overdescribes each type, including many frequent-but-not-always-present traits and suggesting that they're fundamental traits when they really aren't.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Still not convinced the wings are worth anyone's time, tbh. You can't explain everything about a person using the enneagram, so stick to what it does well - clearly and concisely.

What the enneagram types are trying to point at are fundamental world views - they're spectacularly simple & utterly encompassing, on a level that can be tough to appreciate at first - which is where I think the wings and the tritypes etc. come from. They just don't add anything beyond another layer of needless complexity that gets away from the actual workings of things.

My opinion. :P
    Hello