• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type exemplars who break stereotypes

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
good example :)

obligatory means people who do things for you and have this "I scratched your back, now you need to scratch mine" mentality. someone who is obligatory is someone who places implicit expectations and control measures on a person when they try to help them. I avoid obligatory people like the plague and would rather have the terms of an agreement be much more objective and clearly defined (this is why I often get along well with STJs. they're good at this)

Oh, well I generally avoid people who would accept favors with no intention of repaying them, so there :p

I get it though. More inc.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah, Blanchett is pretty light for a 4. I haven't seen her in many interviews but I don't sense the gravitas in her that many Gut types have.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Let's rewind. My post wasn't clear and is being misunderstood or I've misunderstood and am going off on a wild tangent now.

1.) I am talking about MBTI / JCF not providing as many growth points as I believe the enneagram does. That is NOT to say the study and awareness of MBTI / JCF offers no benefit to personal growth.

2.) The enneagram positions itself to more fully outline a spectrum of unhealthy to healthy, which I think opens the door to greater personal insight ergo personal growth. Emotional growth is what prompts a person to examine their weak spots in more detail and provides sufficient motivation to follow through with everything from learning to play the piano to wanting to be more ambidextrous to studying JCF.

3.) That being said, I do think MBTI type does help one gain a greater awareness of areas to examine and work on for personal development, and also identify those differences in others and reconcile those with your own preferences. However, I do think this cannot go as far as the emotional work enneagram propels.

Enneagram is phenomenal for development, but I think typology is just as useful for the notion of cognitive growth.

I want to be clear what you define as "cognitive growth"? Using one's inferior functions? Or the opposing functions to your dominant? And when you say typlogy, you do mean MBTI / JCF correct?

If you mean developing one's inferior, my issue with this is you can't turn a fish into a bird. I can act and function as a Te dom all I want, but that focus on Te comes at a cost to me, not as an inexhaustible benefit. In fact, it can blunt my Fi, dull it down, leaving me not as in tune with myself or my emotions as I want. I know this because I've experienced it so often in my life. Not only that, continual use of the inferior is a great recipe to burn out, actually. So, yes, Te is definitely in my toolbox (anyone who knows me isn't even going to attempt to argue against that) but I pay a price to use it. My competency in use makes no difference either to how much it costs. The energetic cost is very high. I am just not as "good" at it, and to be "good" requires so much in payment!

If you mean using Ti for example, I am not even sure how to begin discussing that. Is that your focus?

So I am trying to understand what you are getting at, without derailing the thread too badly. Am I off the mark here? :)

And, I am not sure what neuroplasticity has to do with that?

I have no issue with the article, but using the example of handedness, I don't believe any right-hander is as good with their left unless they are actually mixed-handed to begin with. You simply will not find using the left as effortless as the right. Lefties who have been raised to use the right may appear to write with ease but they do not use the same regions of the brain to write with as a right-hander - the forcing of mechanical adaptation does not "rewire" them. In fact, I think it's believed to overload one part of the brain whilst under-stimulating the other leading to lots of negative consequences. (I can find the studies and all if you are interested.)

I guess I feel it's great to have lots of tools in the toolbox, but IMO such strategies are best for short-term use with the realization that constant usage comes at a cost of neglecting other functions and depleting one's resources.

OTOH, emotional work, even for non-feelers, is not as contrary somehow ... and I need to think that one out more.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I
- 6s who are strong and confident

I was going to say what others already appear to have mentioned, that a person can project that outwardly, but inside be completely the opposite.

Although I am a textbook 6 and basically a walking stereotype.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think 6s that are super chillax would break the stereotype better--the ones that don't go on tirades left and right about everything.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I think 6s that are super chillax would break the stereotype better--the ones that don't go on tirades left and right about everything.

Yeah...I did try that, but all that pent up tiradi-ness wound me up and now here I am, out a job and feeling like my emotions are shot.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Another integrated 1: John Williams
An integrated 7: Williams' collaborator Steven Spielberg

Tomb1

damn...Adam Sandler is meant to be a 9. Why would a 9 bother with movies, paparazzi etc, unless that proves he isn't
Sandler wasn't meant to be a nine nor is he a nine. He's a 6w7 so/sx and a pretty obvious one at that.

Tomb1

my own list
8w7: Michael Douglas

*I really don't know of many 2w3s, 4s, 5s and 9w1s, so feel free to fill me in on some
Edit: found a non clingy 2w3 :D
Michael Douglas isn't an 8w7. He's an 8w9 and his 9 wing is blatant.

By parroting the pastebin list you're dumbing down the forum.

The pastebin list is a downgrade from the Stackemup exemplars list and got many of the core fixations wrong...

Your type recognition abilities were pretty bad the last I recall. Hopefully you've come to recognize that George Washington wasn't an sp/so 8w7.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I knew an 8 that was that way.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

this

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Isn't the whole point of typology to stereotype? And if you break the stereotype, you are not that type? MB & Enneagram are entertaining in theory.. but flawed because you cannot prove a type. First of all, type theories are man-made. Secondly, the attribution of type to oneself or to someone other than ourselves is completely subjective. How we see ourselves and how others see us are not really telling as to who we are. We hide things about ourselves from ourselves, and we hide things about ourselves from others. We pretend to be what we are not; we strive to be what we are not. Typology is no more than entertainment.

While I wholly agree with your final assessment, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what makes you you. To put it a bit more clearly, do you think a person's true self is something other than the qualities that they are actually instantiating, to either their own perception or to that of others? What would be the nature of one's true being in such a conception?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes, also John Cleese apparently (a 1w2 who's a comedian LOL)

Jerry Seinfeld is one of the most succesful and the most payed comedian, he is a 1w2.

Same for Nathalie Portman.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who are we to say they don't have sticks up their asses tho? They very well could you know?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Michael Douglas isn't an 8w7. He's an 8w9 and his 9 wing is blatant.
he's boisterous, high energy, even somewhat of a goofball. 8w9s are more earthy and low key. I think his 7 wing is obvious (hell, I could see him as a 7w8 or even a 7w6 lol)

By parroting the pastebin list you're dumbing down the forum.
The pastebin list is a downgrade from the Stackemup exemplars list and got many of the core fixations wrong...
I'm not parroting anyone, I only post their typings that I agree with

Your type recognition abilities were pretty bad the last I recall. Hopefully you've come to recognize that George Washington wasn't an sp/so 8w7.
I don't have a strong opinion on George Washington, I don't have enough info on him. my current typing only comes from what my friend told me about him

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
While I wholly agree with your final assessment, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what makes you you. To put it a bit more clearly, do you think a person's true self is something other than the qualities that they are actually instantiating, to either their own perception or to that of others? What would be the nature of one's true being in such a conception?

I don't believe people have true selves. We are way too complex for such a notion of a static self.

A computer program has a true self. It is predictable.

Maybe that is why I am ever-intrigued by others. If you probe in the right way, you can reveal a person that others have not seen before.

At one end of the spectrum, you are what you show.

At the other, you can never be completely known, by yourself or others.

How far you want to take it is where the fun lies.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
That could be a 9 going to 6. I think 1's become sullen and moody when they're under stress.