• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type exemplars who break stereotypes

Mia.

In fact, to me that's part of the usefulness of enneagram right there - there is a spectrum of growth points. Not so much with typology.

Enneagram is phenomenal for development, but I think typology is just as useful for the notion of cognitive growth.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am looking for
- 1s who don't have a stick up their ass

[youtube=81qH4WbsLMw]Meryl Streep - Interview - Mamma Mia! - Rare[/youtube]

- 4s who aren't whining emo bleeding hearts

[youtube=K6vbTt9xnLw]George Michael[/youtube]

- 6s who are strong and confident

[youtube=wtC4hhd4ZoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtC4hhd4ZoI[/youtube]

- 7s who are focused and disciplined

[youtube=KW91OJ5OY0M]Dick Cavett Show - Alain Delon interview (part 1 of 4)[/youtube]
[youtube=afOhzEXMo0A]Inside the actors studio - Alec Baldwin (part 1)[/youtube]

- 8s who are protagonists or charitable and caring

[youtube=nRwXtN2hPJ8]American Idol: Randy Jackson[/youtube]
[youtube=rw45nBcWNbQ]Mufasa[/youtube]

- 9s who are ambitious, strong willed and not push overs

[youtube=9F9gu1rBi9o]Mystique[/youtube]
[youtube=S1niViQrVMc]Uma Thurman[/youtube]

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Enneagram is phenomenal for development, but I think typology is just as useful for the notion of cognitive growth.

Interesting ... cognitive understanding and awareness indeed, but growth? Can you make a tree grow faster than it will grow otherwise? A little perhaps, but not much so.

Some things just take the time they're going to take.

Mia.

Interesting ... cognitive understanding and awareness indeed, but growth? Can you make a tree grow faster than it will grow otherwise? A little perhaps, but not much so.

When we're talking MBTI, we're talking neuropsychology. And yes, one can influence the rate of growth tremendously.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In fact, to me that's part of the usefulness of enneagram right there - there is a spectrum of growth points. Not so much with typology.

I think Enneagram falls under typology though.

Mia.

The brain is incredibly plastic. MBTI/Jungian literature even alludes to this regularly, in the form of cautioning people not to answer the tests based on how they currently operate in their jobs, personal lives, hobbies, etc. and instead from an examination of their natural "hard-wiring" and preferences. Function development is brain development, and we do it every day in order to adapt. Many things can influence how well it is received and how successful it is, and it can also be done intentionally. Left vs. right handedness is a classic example - we are born with a preferred hand. That is a brain preference. However, through intentional cultivation and focus, one can become just as good at using the opposing hand. Is the person still right-handed? Absolutely. That is and always will be their natural preference and gifting. They just now have the ability to use their left hand in a way that enhances their options.

This is a good article on neuroplasticity.

G

Ginkgo

Isn't the whole point of typology to stereotype? And if you break the stereotype, you are not that type? MB & Enneagram are entertaining in theory.. but flawed because you cannot prove a type. First of all, type theories are man-made. Secondly, the attribution of type to oneself or to someone other than ourselves is completely subjective. How we see ourselves and how others see us are not really telling as to who we are. We hide things about ourselves from ourselves, and we hide things about ourselves from others. We pretend to be what we are not; we strive to be what we are not. Typology is no more than entertainment.

That's under the assumption that all qualities of an individual are included in a stereotype, which they typically aren't and aren't intended to be. According to enneagram, everyone possesses each "driver", or type. Expecting even an entire personality inventory such as the 9 points to cover all of one's traits is jumping the gun, overlooking qualities and patterns that may still apply and may be reflected upon if we know how to conduct self-analysis.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
- 2s who aren't clinging, obligatory bastards

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I'll start.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yovjtw8KxLs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yovjtw8KxLs[/YOUTUBE]

Though I'm not quite sure what you mean by obligatory.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]
thank you! these are good :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I'll start.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yovjtw8KxLs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yovjtw8KxLs[/YOUTUBE]
Though I'm not quite sure what you mean by obligatory.

good example :)

obligatory means people who do things for you and have this "I scratched your back, now you need to scratch mine" mentality. someone who is obligatory is someone who places implicit expectations and control measures on a person when they try to help them. I avoid obligatory people like the plague and would rather have the terms of an agreement be much more objective and clearly defined (this is why I often get along well with STJs. they're good at this)

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] I feel like I was helped to grow through learning about MBTI. I originally thought I was an INTJ because I disregarded the idea of considering feelings as having any value. I was also disillusioned about other things that generally Feelers are considered to have an affinity for. It was a process for me to realize I was actually a Feeler, and it took a while for me to become convinced of it. But once I was convinced, it made me realize that I had been suppressing parts of myself and was ending up with an unhealthy version of myself, which caused me to first identify with Thinkers. Once I decided to let my Feeling side just flow naturally instead of suppressing it, it's been a great relief. But I didn't even know I was suppressing anything until I heard about MBTI.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]
thank you! these are good :yes:

Yeah. :)

Also, we can observe that they are not of an MBTI type stereotypically associated with their enneatype. I mean, Meryl Streep is ESTP, George Michael, perhaps ESFP, Sandra Bernhard is ESTP, Alain Delon is ISTJ, Alec Baldwin is ESTJ, Randy Jackson is ESFJ, Mufasa is ENFJ, Mystique is ISTP and Uma Thurman is ESTJ. We can also observe that they are not from the most current variant of their type. I think it'd be harder to find 1w9 So/Sp, 2w3 So/Sx, 3w2 So/Sp, 4w3 So/Sx, 5w6 Sp/So, 6w5 Sp/So, 7w6 So/Sx, 8w9 Sp/So and 9w1 Sp/So who don't fit with the stereotypes. Though Richard Simmons is 2w3 So/Sx.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. :)

Also, we can observe that they are not of an MBTI type stereotypically associated with their enneatype. I mean, Meryl Streep is ESTP, George Michael, perhaps ESFP, Sandra Bernhard is ESTP, Alain Delon is ISTJ, Alec Baldwin is ESTJ, Randy Jackson is ESFJ, Mufasa is ENFJ, Mystique is ISTP and Uma Thurman is ESTJ. We can also observe that they are not from the most current variant of their type. I think it'd be harder to find 1w9 So/Sp, 2w3 So/Sx, 3w2 So/Sp, 4w3 So/Sx, 5w6 Sp/So, 6w5 Sp/So, 7w6 So/Sx, 8w9 Sp/So and 9w1 Sp/So who don't fit with the stereotypes. Though Richard Simmons is 2w3 So/Sx.

Uma Thurman is not an ESTJ XD
ISFP or INTJ

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uma Thurman is not an ESTJ XD
ISFP or INTJ

There's no clue that she is a F. However she is straightforward and no-nonsense and action-oriented. Definetly a TJ, but not oriented toward abstractions and concepts, therefore she is STJ, not NTJ. And she is sociable and confrontational, therefore she is not I, but E, she is ESTJ.

Uma T said:
I think [ass-kicking] is sort of thrilling. ... As a female ... you're taught not to be aggressive."

Uma T said:
It gives you a great self-confidence ... to take full responsibility for [your life]. Responsibility gives confidence, I find."

What kind of ISFP would be anjoying the thrill of being ass-kicking and seeking for responsability? She is not ISFP at all, it's impossible that she is a Te repressor, actually, she is a Te-dom. And there's no clue of Ni, therefore she is ESTJ.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
yes, also John Cleese apparently (a 1w2 who's a comedian LOL)
Yeah, Lithgow especially must be integrated to 7 (he did that sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun back in the 90s), but I don't think any actor can pull off the Repressed Puritan (a type 1 stereotype) as well as he can. See him in Footloose, Kinsey, or the 4th season of the show Dexter for evidence.