• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

certain religions attracting certain types

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've found that Bhuddism would fit the bill for a lot of type 9s, and 5s are attracted to athiesm and agnosticism in a lot of cases (there's a reason 5w4 is called the Iconoclast). Want to explore this more.

Discuss

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've found that Bhuddism would fit the bill for a lot of type 9s, and 5s are attracted to athiesm and agnosticism in a lot of cases (there's a reason 5w4 is called the Iconoclast). Want to explore this more.
Discuss

- Christianity in general seems to appeal to 1s and 2s
- Catholicism specifically is pretty 1-ish
- superego types in general seem to be the most drawn to religion as a whole (1s, 2s and 6s)
- Paganism probably appeals a lot to 7s (I'm a Christian, but I gotta admit, Paganism sounds pretty bad ass)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(I'm a Christian, but I gotta admit, Paganism sounds pretty bad ass)

all of your opinions you share on here seem pretty anti-christian. you're not very devout i'm assuming?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- superego types in general seem to be the most drawn to religion as a whole (1s, 2s and 6s)
- Paganism probably appeals a lot to 7s (I'm a Christian, but I gotta admit, Paganism sounds pretty bad ass)

Televangelist Christians are 3s.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
all of your opinions you share on here seem pretty anti-christian. you're not very devout i'm assuming?

I'm a Deist/Objectivist, therefore I believe that God does not interfere much if at all with our planet. naturally, my views are going to be pretty different from your archetypal conservative Catholic or Bible Belt Christian.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a type 6 atheist/naturalist pantheist

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I agree with Catholicism appealing to 1's. I've been thinking of converting for a while.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a lot of traditionalist religions are dominated by SJs, a lot of mystical religions are dominated by NFs, a lot of cosmological religions are dominated by NTs, and SPs usually don't care.

I really don't know how enneagram comes into play for religion lol.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

agreement here. I also know a 9 IRL that believes in Norse mythology

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know a lot of traditionalist religions are dominated by SJs, a lot of mystical religions are dominated by NFs, a lot of cosmological religions are dominated by NTs, and SPs usually don't care.

I really don't know how enneagram comes into play for religion lol.

I'm an NF and a pantheist, does that count as cosmological? ;) Because I like defying expectations.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an NF and a pantheist, does that count as cosmological? ;) Because I like defying expectations.

Cosmological in my opinion might include pantheism, like with you, philosophy, metaphysics, cosmologists of course, scientists, and some spiritual agnostics and atheists who may not know of God is real but beleive in the divine power of the universe.

Nicodemus

It is safe to say that XXXXs are often attracted to the religion their parents happen to favor.

Edit: I see nebbykoo agrees.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
6w5 and agnostic. So, maybe if 5s are attracted to atheism, then people close to, but not quite, 5 are attracted to agnosticism, hehe.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe there is a correlation between Ennegram/MBTI type and what type of religious preference a person is.

Burger King

I wonder what type my dad is. One of those Jehovah's Witnesses came to our house one day and did their usual preaching etc. Long story short, my dad was like "I believe in all gods, in Buddha and Jesus, everything!!" I think he believed that by saying that he would be accepted and seen as someone who is open to all religious beliefs. You could imagine the look on their faces. The conversation that ensued was both hilarious and sad.

Btw, my parents aren't from this country, so they don't know how the western religious stuff works here (USA).

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe there is a correlation between Ennegram/MBTI type and what type of religious preference a person is.

Some studies have shown that there is (for MBTI). One study "Psychological Type and Christian Religious Affiliation Among Female Undergraduates in Wales" (JPT, Aug 06), found "Female Welsh students not affiliated with a religion were more likely to be NT, EP, TP, and ENTP. Free church (evangelical Protestant) affiliates included more Ss, SJs, SFs, and ESFJs. Anglican student affiliates were more likely to prefer F, P, IF, ISFP, and ENFP. Catholic- affiliated students did not diverge from the overall student body, which showed preferences for E, S, and F, with ESFJ the most frequent type."

In Big 5 terms (from wikipedia):

wikipedia said:
The idea of studying the psychology of religion through a personality lens is not a new idea, however. There has been research to both support and refute the ability of personality traits to explain religious or spiritual involvement. Research using Eysenck's model has found that religiosity in general is associated with low psychoticism,[3] a factor associated inversely with agreeableness and conscientiousness.[4] A review of studies examined the relations between the FFM and measures of religiosity, spiritual maturity, religious fundamentalism, and extrinsic religion. General religiosity was mainly related to Agreeableness and Conscientiousness of the big five traits .[4] Additionally, there was a weak positive association with extraversion, and a very small but significant relationship with low openness to experience. This same study also found that the two different concepts of religiosity and spirituality both involve an overall compassionate attitude towards others and positively correlates with Agreeableness. Open, mature religiosity and spirituality were associated with high openness to experience, extraversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness, and with low neuroticism. Religious fundamentalism was associated with higher agreeableness, and lower neuroticism and lower openness to experience. Extrinsic religiosity was associated with higher neuroticism but unrelated to the other personality factors. All of these relationships between personality and religion were small. This finding does not necessarily support the concept of personality for being the specific reason for religiosity, however this correlation with the FFM can lead to more in depth research on the topic.

So, translating roughly in MBTI (which may be meaningless, since it's a correlation of a correlation), religious folks tend to be F and J (and slightly E and S). Open, mature religiosity and spirituality correlates with N, E, F and J. Religious fundamentalism to F and J.

Doing statistical studies with the Enneagram is problematic, since I think there's a dearth of validated instruments (along with people being well defended against seeing their own defense mechanisms). I think much of anything there would be based on anecdote and theorizing.