User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

@Seymour which is why I still don't believe that because my denomination is an evangelical denomination and I am very sure I am not mistyped. That's just stereotyping. Besides, they are just doing the study of people in the UK, I assume.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    @Seymour which is why I still don't believe that because my denomination is an evangelical denomination and I am very sure I am not mistyped. That's just stereotyping. Besides, they are just doing the study of people in the UK, I assume.
    That's why it's merely "correlation" and not "deterministic cause and effect." Many of the correlations mentioned above are pretty weak... but they do seem to exist (the Big Five ones are pretty well researched). In any case, one person not following the expected correlation doesn't say much one way or the other about the validity of the correlation itself. I'd also argue that reporting correlations is not, in itself, stereotyping... although correlations can certainly be used to fuel stereotyping.

I did find another MBTI religious study here, which correlation Sensing with conservative beliefs and Feeling with charismatic beliefs.

There's still another recent study "Psychological Type and Student Views of the Origins Debate: Understanding the Culture Wars" (JPT, July 2011) which used 250 University of Wisconsin students as subjects. The article states:

Quote Originally Posted by Embree
    Perspectives on Creationism vs. Evolution vary by psychological type, with F, especially SF, associated with traditional theistic Creation, and T, especially NT, associated with non-theistic Evolution.
    and, thankfully, a pretty good list of MBTI and religious belief references:

Considerable research indicates a strong link between Feeling (particularly SF and FJ) and religion, especially conservative religion (Bramer, 1995; Childerston, 1985; Delis-Bulhoes, 1990; Francis et al., 2001; Francis et al., 2007; Greenfield, 1969; Harmon, 1982; Mcdaid et al., 1991; Myers & McCaulley, 1985; Oswald & Kroeger, 1998; Rehak, 1998; Ross, 1993; Ross, 1995; Ruppart, 1985). In light of this persistent finding, it is not surprising that Creationism was related to F, SF, and FJ in the present study. Individuals in these regions of the type table are often represented as tradi- tionalists who show strong deference to prevailing cul- tural norms and views (Keirsey, 1998).
    Which I found a little surprising, given my own Church of Christ upbringing in Texas. I would have described it as heavily SJ, but somewhat more weighted toward Thinking than Feeling. It also had this paragraph in it, which I make some sense to me:

The relationship between IP and Theistic Evolution may represent the tendency of these types to suspend judgment and to remain open-minded about possibilities. The Perceiving preference may contribute a tendency to see validity in both sides of an argument, while Introversion may contribute a tendency to ponder matters carefully and thoroughly before deciding. In this light, IP types may serve as a psychological bridge between types that are more prone to adopt culturally extreme (creationist or secular evolutionist) viewpoints. Myers et al. (1998) suggest regarding the reasoning of these types: “For new information to be effective . . . it must address the logic or values of their dominant judging function or it will be rejected as irrelevant” (P46). For some IP subjects in this study, the information and arguments traditionally presented by creationist and secular evolutionist spokespersons may not pass this test, leading these individuals to avoid premature closure about the origins debate or to resist the notion that faith in God and acceptance of evolution are necessarily opposed. They may be more likely to adopt a “both-and” approach that views the mental frameworks of empirical science and religion/spirituality as equally and simultaneously valid (Weil, 2005).

Regardless, I think it's pretty safe to say that many factors influence religious affiliation. Interestingly, there's some evidence that early in life it's social environment, but later in life genetics pay a greater role.

[Apologies for going on about MBTI stuff in an Enneagram thread.]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Which came first the chicken or the egg?
    The egg.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Where did the egg come from?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    You want us to say raptor, don't you?

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Well, from the chicken's closest genetic relative.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I'm guessing 8s belong to the Church of Satan. They have some pretty badass beliefs.

And 3s are all in Scientology for some reason, probably because it's a pyramid scheme, and 3s love those (I'm kidding).
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I'm guessing 8s belong to the Church of Satan.
    hahaha

And 3s are all in Scientology for some reason, probably because it's a pyramid scheme, and 3s love those (I'm kidding).
    I associate Scientology more with 6w5 or 5w6
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The Easter Bunny.

I am a 5w6 and find paganism is the only religion/spirituality I can follow honestly without gratuitous mental gymnastics. As a scientist I appreciate how the celebrations, symbols, and the underlying mythos are rooted in the physical world.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...