User Tag List

First 1234 Last

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I know a lot of traditionalist religions are dominated by SJs, a lot of mystical religions are dominated by NFs, a lot of cosmological religions are dominated by NTs, and SPs usually don't care.

I really don't know how enneagram comes into play for religion lol.
    I'm an NF and a pantheist, does that count as cosmological? Because I like defying expectations.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    I'm an NF and a pantheist, does that count as cosmological? Because I like defying expectations.
    Cosmological in my opinion might include pantheism, like with you, philosophy, metaphysics, cosmologists of course, scientists, and some spiritual agnostics and atheists who may not know of God is real but beleive in the divine power of the universe.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Usually religion is picked for you by your parents...

It is safe to say that XXXXs are often attracted to the religion their parents happen to favor.

Edit: I see nebbykoo agrees.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Usually religion is picked for you by your parents...
    in a traditional society, yes, but in modern society, people convert themselves
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm a 6, and an athiest.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

6w5 and agnostic. So, maybe if 5s are attracted to atheism, then people close to, but not quite, 5 are attracted to agnosticism, hehe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't believe there is a correlation between Ennegram/MBTI type and what type of religious preference a person is.

I wonder what type my dad is. One of those Jehovah's Witnesses came to our house one day and did their usual preaching etc. Long story short, my dad was like "I believe in all gods, in Buddha and Jesus, everything!!" I think he believed that by saying that he would be accepted and seen as someone who is open to all religious beliefs. You could imagine the look on their faces. The conversation that ensued was both hilarious and sad.

Btw, my parents aren't from this country, so they don't know how the western religious stuff works here (USA).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    I don't believe there is a correlation between Ennegram/MBTI type and what type of religious preference a person is.
    Some studies have shown that there is (for MBTI). One study "Psychological Type and Christian Religious Affiliation Among Female Undergraduates in Wales" (JPT, Aug 06), found "Female Welsh students not affiliated with a religion were more likely to be NT, EP, TP, and ENTP. Free church (evangelical Protestant) affiliates included more Ss, SJs, SFs, and ESFJs. Anglican student affiliates were more likely to prefer F, P, IF, ISFP, and ENFP. Catholic- affiliated students did not diverge from the overall student body, which showed preferences for E, S, and F, with ESFJ the most frequent type."

In Big 5 terms (from wikipedia):

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The idea of studying the psychology of religion through a personality lens is not a new idea, however. There has been research to both support and refute the ability of personality traits to explain religious or spiritual involvement. Research using Eysenck's model has found that religiosity in general is associated with low psychoticism,[3] a factor associated inversely with agreeableness and conscientiousness.[4] A review of studies examined the relations between the FFM and measures of religiosity, spiritual maturity, religious fundamentalism, and extrinsic religion. General religiosity was mainly related to Agreeableness and Conscientiousness of the big five traits .[4] Additionally, there was a weak positive association with extraversion, and a very small but significant relationship with low openness to experience. This same study also found that the two different concepts of religiosity and spirituality both involve an overall compassionate attitude towards others and positively correlates with Agreeableness. Open, mature religiosity and spirituality were associated with high openness to experience, extraversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness, and with low neuroticism. Religious fundamentalism was associated with higher agreeableness, and lower neuroticism and lower openness to experience. Extrinsic religiosity was associated with higher neuroticism but unrelated to the other personality factors. All of these relationships between personality and religion were small. This finding does not necessarily support the concept of personality for being the specific reason for religiosity, however this correlation with the FFM can lead to more in depth research on the topic.
    So, translating roughly in MBTI (which may be meaningless, since it's a correlation of a correlation), religious folks tend to be F and J (and slightly E and S). Open, mature religiosity and spirituality correlates with N, E, F and J. Religious fundamentalism to F and J.

Doing statistical studies with the Enneagram is problematic, since I think there's a dearth of validated instruments (along with people being well defended against seeing their own defense mechanisms). I think much of anything there would be based on anecdote and theorizing.