User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default Benefiting from Knowing Your Type?

For those of you who have figured out what your type is, whether it's regular e-type or instinctual variant, do you feel like knowing this has benefited you in your life?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

Enneagram
    4w5

I discovered Enneagram about 10 years ago while i was in college... remember very clearly the first time i read the book "Awarenss" by Myryam Adehan, I cried for about 2 days from joy that indedd I am not lonely in my weirdness!!! Its been extremely hellpful as sometimes I tend to apply it in my practice as a therapist with teens!!

( btw never underestood how an INFJ can be anything but 4 or atleast 5w4 ?? yet I know there are many 6's 7's and 9's..

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Yeah. A lot. I have always been interested in relationships and the quality of space between myself and others. When I discovered MBTI and JCFs, it explained so much and continues to help me to understand others I interact with. If I connect with anyone beyond like an hour, I start to try to tease out their personality type, and I naturally use it to help me understand them, which helps me to know how to better perceive them, and communicate with them.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yes. Before I invested time into getting to know myself and typology in general, I found myself in a rut. I was one way, my environment wanted me to be different and I grew generally apathetic to it all. I didn't have the tools required to deal with it.

When I was introduced to typology I grew interested to find out more about why I am the way I am and why others are the way they are. Trying to understand peoples reasons and motivations. And in the process I've learned to accept myself and grow more self aware about the fact I'm not weird or anatomically incorrect or something.

I got new energy to immerse myself more deeply in the environment around me as well as work on improving my weaknesses, and catching myself in the act with an emotion or behaviour that I can now clearly recognize for what it is and deal with it. As opposed to just chugging it up to being odd.

But the learning and improving is not yet done. This is a process that will continue until I die. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

See, I never really have the conscious notion of 'improving my weaknesses.'

Except for maybe improving my intelligence, or mind. I never have the notion of improving my personality though. That just doesn't make sense to me, though I have read it in MBTI writings, etc. How can one improve one's personality? Isn't one personally always just right where one should be? I sorta think the only way to improve is to simply live, and go through life.

*ponders*
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think it's helped me to understand my natural tendancies, both good and bad. As a result, I also know what kind of person has qualities that can help me out of a rut when I fall into it. It also has made me more aware of why I admire certain traits in other people and what is a realistic way for me to develop those areas. I think observing other people of my type has also made me more aware of things that I do and made me evaluate whether they are good or bad behaviours.

Understanding MBTI has also helped me figure out my interactions with other people and given more context for their behaviour and motivations in places where I may have dismissed them as selfish or immature otherwise. It has also helped me to be less sensitive because I understand them better.

It can definitely be a trap, since there's so much focus on trying to understand your type, rather than transcending it. So it's less about knowing what type you are, and more about knowing where you should be going.

Though this is very hard to attain, since it really only comes from genuine wisdom and experience rather than a clever diagram.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it has been very illuminating...yes.

it's helpful when i catch myself doing something out of instinct thats not beneficial to me and can make myself stop. things i never realized i did before.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Glycerine

I am probably the most boring combo. ENFJ 5w6 sp/so (Bill Gates is ENTJ 5w6 sp/so....yeah).
    It helps me to understand my defense mechanisms and made me more self-aware about what type of things trigger me. Since then, I have become more calm and less reactive to things and feel a bit more at peace. But at the same time, I want to come up w/ more productive ways of dealing with things. I have a tendency to avoid, avoid, avoid things that bother me until it blows up in a massive emotional shitstorm. I am of the ultimate denial/repression tritype (593).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    btw never underestood how an INFJ can be anything but 4 or atleast 5w4 ?? yet I know there are many 6's 7's and 9's..
    Why do you find it hard to wrap your mind around INFJs not being 4?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .