Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Very interesting articles of Tom Condon here:
    Tom Condom? lol
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    The more I read about the Enneagram types and system as a whole, the more confused I get! It doesn't seem to have the clear associative aspect between ideas and physical objects that JCF theory does (relating to different parts of the brain).
    https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/a...p#.U7mG6RZrMww
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I read that article quite carefully. On the face of it, there's nothing that seems outrageous but let's wait and see what comes of this hypothesis once it has been tested experimentally.

It doesn't look like this has been done yet.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I read that article quite carefully. On the face of it, there's nothing that seems outrageous but let's wait and see what comes of this hypothesis once it has been tested experimentally.

It doesn't look like this has been done yet.
    It does remind me of the empirical research that Dan Seigel and a team of people are doing on the enneagram. Seigel (in talking about early results), expressed it in terms of dominant emotions. That the heart center is about sadness, the head center is about fear, and the body center (which he thinks isn't isn't a good name for it), is about anger. Combined with directions of attention (inner, outer or an inner/outer mix) you end up with something like the 9 enneagram types.

So, will be interesting to see what the actual research shows. Seems the Seigel is new to the enneagram, and doesn't have any huge investment in what the results are. From my notes on his Enneagram World Summit talk:

Where the Brain, Mind, Temperament and the Enneagram Meet with Dan Siegel

aside: I really enjoyed Siegel's book, The Developing Mind (highly recommend it, if you have the patience to plow through some dense terminology and language), and his work on the neuroscience of meditation. His other books are decent, but I found many of them to be more accessible etreads of The Developing Mind.

In this talks, he talks some about epigenetics (which I always find fascinating), and how complex the interplay between genes and the environment is.

Seigel's background in more in neurobiology, and in particular how neurobiology works in interpersonal relationships. I had never heard him talk about the enneagram before, so his perspective is interesting. Apparently he (along with some others) have done some introductory research into relating enneagram type to temperament and attachment theory.

His team's early findings are that temperament and level of attachment during childhood do not correlate to enneagram type. How securely attached someone was does correlate with mental/emotional health levels as an adult.

His other early finding is that he relates the enneagram centers to the thee basic negative emotions: anger (gut, although he thinks that's not a good term here), sadness (heart) and fear (head). He then talks about three directions of attention: inner, outer and inner/outer. Combining those predominate negative emotions and the three directions of attention yields a correspondence to the enneagram types.

He does go off on a personal theory (his own, not related to others participating in the study) about the hemispheres of the brain, relating anger to the left hemisphere, and sadness to right hemisphere. He would relate fear more with the amygdala, but suspects that it plays a roll in the other types, too. (Personally, I'm a little dubious about the relation to hemispheres of the brain to enneagram type, but time could prove me wrong... and certainly the hemispheres do have a relationship to sadness/happiness).
    It is nice to see some early signs of empirical research being done on the enneagram.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I'm sorry but I disagree with the line of thought that necessitates us all being fucked up and neurotic. Yes, the enneagram tells us the patterns of our minds, and likely defenses we are programmed to use. No, its not the traumatic tool I've seen it touted as on some online forums.

I've never heard this in all my readings. Most emphasize that the enneagram is inborn and part of what forms our psychological background. But talking about how it's proof of how fucked up we all are, I find, leads to accusations and mistyping. (I can promise you that what's most fucked up about me does NOT come from my core type.)

I think it's a great tool to use for self discovery, self understanding, and even self psychoanalysis.

Edit: I know whose ideas the op comes from. Please stop listening to that person. She's inaccurate, and a poor typer to boot. No I will not take that back, my research more than vindicates me.