• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram marriage statistics

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Awesome data, thank you for digging this up!

I am not very surprised by some of those red pairings. Despite theory, I have noticed a substantial amount of 8's paired with 9's (female or male)..

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Awesome data, thank you for digging this up!

I am not very surprised by some of those red pairings. Despite theory, I have noticed a substantial amount of 8's paired with 9's (female or male)..

Yes that made me feel better (I'm 8 he is 9) but I can't say I'm surprised.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also, forgot to put this in the OP, I was very surprised at the amount of m5/f2 relationships... 2's basic desire is to feel loved and 5s are famous for not showing emotion, how exactly would that work out? lol

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
also, forgot to put this in the OP, I was very surprised at the amount of m5/f2 relationships... 2's basic desire is to feel loved and 5s are famous for not showing emotion, how exactly would that work out? lol

Why do you think the face a certain type/enneagram show the world is the one they show in private to the ones they love most?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find the line of integration the most meaningful pattern in the chart.
Interestingly, I am very attracted to e8's and 9's, which the data supports. No dice on the 3's.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is especially interesting:

"People marry along a line of integration 38% more often than chance. For example, 7-1 and 3-6 marriages were common, as were male 2s-female 4s, male 3s-female 9s, and several other such combinations."

I have wondered about this before. It seems it would be better for one person than another though.

Example - integration lines go from 6 to 9 to 3 to 6 again. Disintegration lines go from 6 to 3 to 9 to six again. Integration goes towards healthy. Disintegration goes towards unhealthy.

So, a 6 with a 9, could help drive the 6 to be more "healthy" as their partner falls directly into their line of integration. I have wondered if it is bad for the 9 though because the 6 is in the direction of their line of disintegration which goes more towards the unhealthy side. Could it be that a 3 is better for a 9 than a 6? Then would the 9 would not be as good for the 3?

Edit: For those who don't know what I'm taking about with lines of integration/disintegration, look here:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm generally attracted to 9w1 or 1w9s. So, that works for me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you think the face a certain type/enneagram show the world is the one they show in private to the ones they love most?

my main question is: how do we know they're typed correctly in the first place?

apart from that, this sample size is WAY too small to say anything.

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd
i'm surprised and a little frightened how many 5s ended up marrying 1s in that poll. i can't imagine that being terribly fulfilling. and yes the sample size is way too small.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm surprised and a little frightened how many 5s ended up marrying 1s in that poll. i can't imagine that being terribly fulfilling. and yes the sample size is way too small.

Agree on the sample size, it's not large at all to be that representative, as best as I can tell. Was it an online poll? I don't remember -- but right there, you suddenly have a data bias.

I don't think the 5/1 thing is weird... seems pretty common pattern for male INTPs to be into female INFJs, for example. Interesting to see how the genders look for different types of mates, though, apparently.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agree on the sample size, it's not large at all to be that representative, as best as I can tell. Was it an online poll? I don't remember -- but right there, you suddenly have a data bias.

I don't think the 5/1 thing is weird... seems pretty common pattern for male INTPs to be into female INFJs, for example. Interesting to see how the genders look for different types of mates, though, apparently.

Isn't it unwise to mention the MBTI in this case where there is no one-to-one correlation with ennegram types? It's like saying, "5/1 isn't a weird marriage pattern, it's common for the male INTP to be into women with big butts."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
my main question is: how do we know they're typed correctly in the first place?

apart from that, this sample size is WAY too small to say anything.

I don't think most couples put that much emphasis on type. I'm confident a great number of people don't even know what it is or care. Yes it can explain some personality qualities and differences but it's miles from a main predictor of success. It's also alarming that so many people use it to condemn/peruse possible relationships and in that respect, I do agree about correct typing. If you never get to know someone, are you sure this is a great screening tool? Especially people who have never had a long term relationship with anyone. I can say I wouldn't want to be with a P for any reason ever but there are P's here that I mesh with well so, go figure.

I agree on sample size though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't it unwise to mention the MBTI in this case where there is no one-to-one correlation with ennegram types? It's like saying, "5/1 isn't a weird marriage pattern, it's common for the male INTP to be into women with big butts."

Yeah, like that's anything equivalent to what I said, Mal. Srsly?

In general, there's a correlation between Fives and INTP, if you bother to screen the data, and Ones are correlated strongly to INFJ and INTJ.

I don't think it's incorrect to say there's a tendency between INTPs and INFJs to anecdotally be attracted to each other (I've seen it show up a great deal in ANY INTP board I've been on), and since there is a correlation between those types and Fives and Ones, it's worth mentioning. Note how I avoided making any comments that were more granular, since I'm talking broad patterns.

You're a smart guy, I think you can follow "fuzzy" correlations rather than demanding exact ones. I don't need exact precise boundaries in order to note large-scale trends and broad similarities here, just like I can say gay marriage is finding more acceptability in American culture by just noting the large scale poll changes without having to define exactly each one of those data points or having a direct one-to-one ration explicated among all the data points.

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd

there's a pretty big spread amongst 1s, but they're usually istjs, estjs, and isfjs. occasionally intj enfj or infj.

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, like that's anything equivalent to what I said, Mal. Srsly?

In general, there's a correlation between Fives and INTP, if you bother to screen the data, and Ones are correlated strongly to INFJ and INTJ.

To my mind, what you said sounds very similar, after subtracting the humor part of my response.

I helped screen this data back in 1996 when I participated in the Fudjack/Dinkelaker types correlations study.
http://tap3x.net/EMBTI/charts.html

36% of INFJs responded with type 4, while 23% of INFJs responded with type 1. (Chart Three-A)

I don't think it's incorrect to say there's a tendency between INTPs and INFJs to anecdotally be attracted to each other (I've seen it show up a great deal in ANY INTP board I've been on), and since there is a correlation between those types and Fives and Ones, it's worth mentioning. Note how I avoided making any comments that were more granular, since I'm talking broad patterns.

A lot of those INFJs are associated with type 4, moreso than with type 1. So on the basis of the understanding I've had for the past 16 years, you can see why your statement would raise some alarm bells with me.

You're a smart guy, I think you can follow "fuzzy" correlations rather than demanding exact ones. I don't need exact precise boundaries in order to note large-scale trends and broad similarities here, just like I can say gay marriage is finding more acceptability in American culture by just noting the large scale poll changes without having to define exactly each one of those data points or having a direct one-to-one ration explicated among all the data points.

I don't demand any such thing, I would much rather compare this study (tiny as it is) with the same marriage demographics on the MBTI side, if there are any.