• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Don't underestimate the triads

VagrantFarce

I know I did, for a long time - but they're an important part of helping to differentiate the types. I feel that a lot of people, when trying to identify their type, seem to be debating very inconsequential details, when the biggest differences aren't being discussed at all - and often stare them in the face.

• There's a reason 5s, 6s and 7s are in the head triad - these people identify with their minds, in ways they may not be fully aware of. They "think" more than others, but it's done compulsively - they interact with the worlds from their minds. Their thoughts create so many possibilities that they may become overwhelmed with fear at times, unable to make confident decisions. They must learn, time and time again, how to take decisive action comfortably when overwhelmed with fear.

• There's a reason that 2s, 3s and 4s are in the heart triad - these people identify with their hearts, much the same way that the previous types identify with their minds. This isn't just a figure of speech - their hearts are what guide them through life. They can become so reliant on emotional connection and the images they adopt that they can neglect everything else about life. They must learn to "take off" the mask when emotional distance is needed.

• There's a reason 8s, 9s and 1s are in the body triad - these people identify with their bodies, and live through life from the gut. They compulsively identify with the physical presence in the world. They can become so comfortable in their bodies that they become "too" autonomous - like rocks embedded in a riverbed. In their stances 8s become too unstoppable, 9s too laid-back, 1s too rigid.

I'd love to see more discussion in this regard - how the types reflect their triads. :)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION]

Does this put me in the head triad? :laugh:

Because, I've been told by countless people in real life that I think too much. In fact, it really does get compulsive.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Absolutely. I am 100% in my head. I reside in my thoughts and feel disconnected with my body. It's like this thing I have to lug around. It probably has a bit to do with where I stand in my spiritual beliefs actually because I don't feel like I am my body. I absolutely feel like the bit that is me will exist without my body. I don't feel centered or grounded. I feel buoyant and airy.

Last edited:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dammit, now I wonder if I'm not a 5 after all.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just came across this thread. As usual, [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION] lays out the most concise and insightful description possible :). It's quite a gift actually.

Octavarium

I get what OP is saying, but it could potentially be misleading for a few types. For example, here's a bit of what RH say about 1s, from the Enneagram Institute website:

RH said:
Although Ones have a strong sense of purpose, they also typically feel that they have to justify their actions to themselves, and often to others as well. This orientation causes Ones to spend a lot of time thinking about the consequences of their actions, as well as about how to keep from acting contrary to their convictions. Because of this, Ones often persuade themselves that they are “head” types, rationalists who proceed only on logic and objective truth. But, the real picture is somewhat different: Ones are actually activists who are searching for an acceptable rationale for what they feel they must do. They are people of instinct and passion who use convictions and judgments to control and direct themselves and their actions.

So it's giving an explanation for why 1 is in the body triad, but still saying 1s tend to see themselves as head types, and I'm sure there's somewhere else where they say 1s tend to identify with their minds. As another example, 9s our often out of touch with their instincts. Here's more RH on 9s, also from the Enneagram Institute website:

RH said:
Ironically, for a type so oriented to the spiritual world, Nine is the center of the Instinctive Center, and is the type that is potentially most grounded in the physical world and in their own bodies. The contradiction is resolved when we realize that Nines are either in touch with their instinctive qualities and have tremendous elemental power and personal magnetism, or they are cut off from their instinctual strengths and can be disengaged and remote, even lightweight.

To compensate for being out of touch with their instinctual energies, Nines also retreat into their minds and their emotional fantasies. (This is why Nines can sometimes misidentify themselves as Fives and Sevens, “head types,” or as Twos and Fours, “feeling types.”)
So like with 1s, they're giving a rationale for why 9 is in the body triad, but saying 9s aren't necessarily going to see themselves that way.

There are more examples; I would guess there are a lot of 3s who wouldn't identify themselves as "heart types" because they would prefer to put their feelings aside and get the job done. I understand that the "emotional connection" part comes in with their image manipulation, but I'm commenting on how they would experience themselves. Also, 7s often enjoy sensory pleasures, and don't always spend much time thinking about the consequences of their actions, so I can see how a 7 could end up experiencing themselves as an "instinctive" type. And, I think it's very common for intuitives (especially if they're also introverts) to live in their heads. My point is, "head types identify with their minds, heart types identify with their hearts, body types identify with their bodies" fits nicely into the theory, but it's overly simplistic as a typing method.

Alea_iacta_est

Well shit, I'm apparently typed as a 1w9 and I definitely do not identify with my body at all. It looks like I might be a head type after all.

Actually, just read [MENTION=20847]Octavarium[/MENTION]'s post, and I agree with 1s identifying as head types more than body types.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well shit, I'm apparently typed as a 1w9 and I definitely do not identify with my body at all. It looks like I might be a head type after all.

You're not understanding the triads.

What is your understanding of the relation of the various types in a triad to the triad itself?

Edit - I see you edited your post. 1s are in their heads a lot.

L

LadyLazarus

[*]There's a reason that 2s, 3s and 4s are in the heart triad - these people identify with their hearts, much the same way that the previous types identify with their minds. This isn't just a figure of speech - their hearts are what guide them through life. They can become so reliant on emotional connection and the images they adopt that they can neglect everything else about life. They must learn to "take off" the mask when emotional distance is needed.

Very very true, I do heavily rely on my heart; more specifically, how I feel about things, when making decisions, it's often hard me for me not to be biased in that respect. The parts about adopting images and learning to remove the mask, are also painfully accurate, much to my chagrin/ disliking.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In 9 Lenses, Jerome Wagner gives an excellent discussion of the triads. One of the things he talks about is how to use each triad to make decisions.

- Body Center (891) - You know in "your body" what the right answer is. The feeling that arises from this is not to be confused with "emotion"--it's subtler and felt "deeper" within. It's solid and tends to know without knowing.

- Heart Center (234) - You know with your emotions what the right answer is. When you feel ecstatic, uplifted, and upbeat, you know you're making the right decision. When you feel a feeling of dread, despair, aversion, etc., you know you're making the wrong decision. Again, it knows without rationalization.

- Head Center (567) - You know by hashing through things mentally, weighing pros and cons, considering the options, and eventually arriving at a well-defined conclusion. Feelings of any sort are not involved in this equation.

If you find one that's more natural to you, that's probably your center (but you may have to really observe yourself next time you make a major decision). It works for me anyway--I'm all gut and heart. For some reason, I seldom use the head center. I guess since it's a 6 I can't trust it. XD

This corroborate anyone else's experience?

VagrantFarce

I just came across this thread. As usual, [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION] lays out the most concise and insightful description possible :). It's quite a gift actually.

HatTipCartoon.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In 9 Lenses, Jerome Wagner gives an excellent discussion of the triads. One of the things he talks about is how to use each triad to make decisions.

- Body Center (891) - You know in "your body" what the right answer is. The feeling that arises from this is not to be confused with "emotion"--it's subtler and felt "deeper" within. It's solid and tends to know without knowing.

- Heart Center (234) - You know with your emotions what the right answer is. When you feel ecstatic, uplifted, and upbeat, you know you're making the right decision. When you feel a feeling of dread, despair, aversion, etc., you know you're making the wrong decision. Again, it knows without rationalization.

- Head Center (567) - You know by hashing through things mentally, weighing pros and cons, considering the options, and eventually arriving at a well-defined conclusion. Feelings of any sort are not involved in this equation.

If you find one that's more natural to you, that's probably your center (but you may have to really observe yourself next time you make a major decision). It works for me anyway--I'm all gut and heart. For some reason, I seldom use the head center. I guess since it's a 6 I can't trust it. XD

As an e5 I can tell you there's a gut feeling involved with every decision. No matter how logically it was made it won't matter unless it feels right first.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[*]There's a reason that 2s, 3s and 4s are in the heart triad - these people identify with their hearts, much the same way that the previous types identify with their minds. This isn't just a figure of speech - their hearts are what guide them through life. They can become so reliant on emotional connection and the images they adopt that they can neglect everything else about life.

What's the connection between being guided by one's heart and adopting an image?

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a reason 5s, 6s and 7s are in the head triad - these people identify with their minds, in ways they may not be fully aware of. They "think" more than others, but it's done compulsively - they interact with the worlds from their minds. Their thoughts create so many possibilities that they may become overwhelmed with fear at times, unable to make confident decisions. They must learn, time and time again, how to take decisive action comfortably when overwhelmed with fear.

OK I don't relate to this much. I hardly have compulsive thinking in this way. The only time I'm in my head is when I try to understand something logically. (Or when making up some story, sometimes but that's more emotion based, not logic based.) I do like doing that though. But at those moments I'm not really interacting with the world. I usually don't create possibilities about situations. If I were to start doing that, I'd get bored with it right away because it's just mental masturbation and not reality. I hate that. Much prefer deliberate thinking. Again the exception is when I try to understand something deeply, that's still tiring a bit but I'm able to will myself to keep up and I like the results.

There's a reason that 2s, 3s and 4s are in the heart triad - these people identify with their hearts, much the same way that the previous types identify with their minds. This isn't just a figure of speech - their hearts are what guide them through life. They can become so reliant on emotional connection and the images they adopt that they can neglect everything else about life. They must learn to "take off" the mask when emotional distance is needed.

I don't relate to this at all. What adopted images? I mean it sounds nice in the context of type 4 but it's not something I can keep up for long. It's not substantial.

There's a reason 8s, 9s and 1s are in the body triad - these people identify with their bodies, and live through life from the gut. They compulsively identify with the physical presence in the world. They can become so comfortable in their bodies that they become "too" autonomous - like rocks embedded in a riverbed. In their stances 8s become too unstoppable, 9s too laid-back, 1s too rigid.[/list]

Hm I dunno if I identify with my body to this degree. I identify more with the world, I don't pay that much attention to inner bodily sensations, I look outside instead. But I do have a constant awareness of my physical boundaries (between my body and the world) when moving around etc. I do have a lot of instinctual action without thinking and autonomy is alright.

One of the things he talks about is how to use each triad to make decisions.

Well yeah I call that instinctual decision making.

I've felt aversion before in this fashion and it indeed affected me strongly in making certain decisions. I don't really use positive uplifted etc feelings for decision making though.

No I've tried that and that gets tiring and I don't get to actually decide the thing. I don't arrive at a well-defined conclusion because I will switch to instinctual decision making much sooner than that.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Fuck, Now I'm totally confused, I can see being all three of them. It seems to be like my body center tells me what I personally think is correct, the Heart center tells me when I did the right thing in the eyes of others or else fucked up, and the Head center tells me how to reconcile the first 2 so I don't fuck up again.

My tritype is 612

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
When you ad tritype in, it all makes a little more since than when you just have an mbti type.

:thumbup:

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Originally Posted by RH

"Although Ones have a strong sense of purpose, they also typically feel that they have to justify their actions to themselves, and often to others as well. This orientation causes Ones to spend a lot of time thinking about the consequences of their actions"

I can definitely identify with the above, I think of it as my overactive conscience that's always guilting me. I sometimes delete comments after thinking about them for a while, sometimes I think I didn't convey what I really meant & other times they just sound wrong.

I wouldn't mind repressing the need to justify everything internally, maybe give the overbearing conscience a vacation.