• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How wrong have you been? LOL!

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In every job I've had since about 19, I've taken on a workers activist/humanitarian role for the underdog. Just not officially. I didn't see this pattern until someone else pointed it out. I have gorged myself in company policy at times, not the details of my job, the big detail of employment. I will understand employee/employer rights like the back of my hand, and when I see any type of power abuse I'm fairly vocal with it in large meetings (where I present it in more of a questions format to draw attention to it, but not target myself specifically) and in personal one on one basis with other employees, which has caused many people to "seek me out" when they get their ass in tight spot and need support and direction. I can usually tell people if they are within their rights, how to manipulate it, how to cover their tracks and handle their failing with minimal risk.

I just wanted to say that this is so awesome :) I wish more people were like this. Also, I can relate a lot to the rest of your post, especially about feeling my identity is threatened only when the outside force fails and about needing to know where I stand externally (I really can't stand being in limbo).

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got 4w5 first try, but I honestly thought I was 5, 9 and 6 for a while lol...until recently. I probably have 9 and 6 in my tri-type though.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I thought I was 4, 5, 9. I even flirted with 1 and 2. What got me about 2 was the whole focussing on others to fill the void in your soul. In fact, all the negative descriptions of every type really resonated with me, but none of the positive. That was the first clue I was a six.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In fact, all the negative descriptions of every type really resonated with me, but none of the positive. That was the first clue I was a six.

Ha! I had that experience too, although it just made me think enneagram was useless rather than typing myself as all the other types. 6w5 does fit pretty well though.

Little_Sticks

I don't know about 'wrong' or 'right', but it seems enneagram is a really flaky theory. People have tried to fix this by adding wings, using instinctual variants, dividing it into head, gut, and heart types, and even making tritypes. The very fact that people feel it is incomplete or missing something by needing introduce a way to "fix or complete it" says ALOT.

I personally think it's astrology, except instead of painting yourself within a given type/sign, you get to paint yourself with a type/sign of your choosing, where whether it is 'right' or 'wrong' then depends solely on you. I find it bizarre that people also evaluate psychological type in the same way, using generalizations and conclusions with almost no epistemological basis upon which to truly evaluate their claims, instead taking certain assumptions for granted as 'truth'. 0.o

I think that answers your question/concern.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know about 'wrong' or 'right', but it seems enneagram is a really flaky theory. People have tried to fix this by adding wings, using instinctual variants, dividing it into head, gut, and heart types, and even making tritypes. The very fact that people feel it is incomplete or missing something by needing introduce a way to "fix or complete it" says ALOT.

I personally think it's astrology, except instead of painting yourself within a given type/sign, you get to paint yourself with a type/sign of your choosing, where whether it is 'right' or 'wrong' then depends solely on you. I find it bizarre that people also evaluate psychological type in the same way, using generalizations and conclusions with almost no epistemological basis upon which to truly evaluate their claims, instead taking certain assumptions for granted as 'truth'. 0.o

I think that answers your question/concern.

Wings were not added on, they are original. Instinctual variants are not enneagram, instincts and personality type are different. But the founder of both enneagram and instinctual variants is the same person, Oscar Ichavo. He also used trifix, but tritypes came along later based on empirical observation.

The difference between astrology and typology is not the ability to choose, but the necessity of deciding.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my mom read one of my enneagram books and was convinced that i'm a 5 and it made me doubt for a while. but besides that i've been consistent. when i first took mbti/enneagram types in high school i thought i was an enfp 7w8 but i never read that much into it and it was also probably hormones or something making me that way.

A

Anew Leaf

I first typed as INFP in my first semester of college. The description fit then, and it still fits me now. A lot of people on here think of me as an ENFP, but I am an introvert at heart. Like right now at this business conference I am going crazy not having escape routes to being purely alone.

Enneagram has been rather annoying for me to pinpoint. In college I tested as four, and I definitely see that in myself the strongest. I am driven by being unique and an individual in everything I do in life. At times I want to do "the normal thing" and it leaves me unsatisifed. I am just not sure which wing I am. I identify with many aspects of either wing. Perhaps I am simply balanced in that regard.

Instincts have been tough for me to pinpoint as well. I have sort of come to the conclusion that I have a slight edge with SX but have a strong co-dominance with my SP side.

I don't take much of this super seriously. I sort of feel that I am far more complex than a handful of letters and numbers could possibly sum up. I like the systems to help me identify weak points that I need to be aware of/fix.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I do love the enneagram from my limited knowlege of it. Mainly because it discusses weaknesses in a critically useful manner.

Also ive never been in doubt that I am a 6w7 and have recently settled on my variant of So/Sx which seemed very accurate for me. MBTI on the other hand...just annoys me as does keirsey or any other variation using the 16 type lettering system.

So in that sense ive been incredibly wrong on my 16 lettered type, not that it is that important, but the longest running type for me was INFP, followed by INFJ. The shortest was probably ENTP, (yes laugh now! Or at least continue laughing but a bit louder). Not even sure on ENFJ but why not.

In this sense ive been.....extremely wrong. Dr Cox wrong!

ps: Sorry for the cliche video.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you previously mistyped yourself?
How long did this mistyping occur?
Why do you think you mistyped?

The first year or so I was on the forum, I thought I was a 4w5. It makes sense though, as at the time I was still generally unhappy with my life/who I was, so was caught up in a lot of feeling-swirls and off-and-on mild depression/confusion/sadness.

When I started feeling a bit better and shifting some baseline perceptions and assumptions about things, and also reading of 4 experiences on here and learning more about enneagram, and realizing that I probably wasn't a 4, I briefly thought I was a type 1. But through more reading/etc, I realized that as a child and even now, I don't have the core drive/issues/hangups that a 1 has. Also, knowing a few IxxJ 1's irl, I think I differ quite a bit from them. (If we go with tritype, I'm possibly a 513 / 531, though)

Are you confidant in your typing now?

Yes, I am. I'm not super set on the w4, as I've not really really dug into all of that, but I don't have any good reason to doubt it, and am not that concerned about the wings anyway. I'm confident in the 5.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Always been pretty sure on ENFP, though i did entertain mild variants (but not seriously).

One thing i was unsure about was enneagram. I would have 7 and 2 neck and neck mostly and was riley quite cross that i couldn't be a 2w7 or 7w2 (yes, yes, the system). I was misdiagnosed as a 2.

Since looking into it more i realise i am a 7w6... and it is very clear now.

Oh also i tested sx/sp but managed to put sx/so mistakenly on my profile for a while, i got used to seeing it there and started to believe that must be correct.
Again i looked into it a little and found the error. Yep... pretty damn squiffy.

ENFP 7w6 sx/sp....... thas me.

(Socionics though...ugh!)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

yes as NFP 4w3

oh at least a year, I also mistyped in the very beginning as INFJ on functions tests

because I believed the hype that in order to be a literary type I must be an NF; also because I think my Ni was high on functions tests because I was overestimating my tertiary Ni; I fit the SP description I think better than NF, but I am definitely Fi/Te...I show all signs of having outbursts of inferior Te, and it only makes sense for me to be FP when I type as FP on MB, Keirsey, and all related tests, as well as showing definite Fi/Te.

So my final confusion was over Ne/Si or Se/Ni, and I think on PTypes ISFP or Exuberant personality type is best; also on Best Fit I relate most to ESFP and ISFP. I think I am too asocial and have too much Ni to be ESFP. Neurotic ISFPs can look INFJ-ish....but I clearly have poor Fe and very little Ti. My bottom functions are Te then Ti, also pointing to IxFP.

Yes.

Also in terms of enneagram I confused 4w3 (which is second in my tritype) with 6w7...but that's a VERY common mix up, and I think many Fi types identify with 4. But my issues are far more with reactivity I think than simply wanting to be unique.

My worst flaws point to 6.

Little_Sticks

Wings were not added on, they are original. Instinctual variants are not enneagram, instincts and personality type are different. But the founder of both enneagram and instinctual variants is the same person, Oscar Ichavo. He also used trifix, but tritypes came along later based on empirical observation.

You make claims, but don't back them up at all, making them meaningless; you simply declare what you consider truth as self-evident. I backed up my claims with something that could be argued against for the sake of furthering my own and anyone else's knowledge, awareness, and understanding. As of this moment, you're implicitly concerned with the idea of being right, rather than being impartial. :dry: Eh, have fun, I doubt you even know what I'm talking about.

The difference between astrology and typology is not the ability to choose, but the necessity of deciding.

Ahh, choosing and deciding are the same in this context. There are 16 types and one is to fit. You can decide which one, but you're still making a choice between 15 others. If I decided I was a combination of types or not any of the types, then that is a decision and not necessarily about choosing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I may be a 6w7 instead of 4w3. Yup. It kinda sucks when I consider how much I've written in e-gram threads about the 4w3 qualities and problems and <insert Charlie Brown telephone> whawhawah.

I don't like appearing wishy-washy because when others do this (sometimes on a weekly or daily basis) it tends to erode my trust in others self-perceptions (including my own, obviously) - NOTHING against people who are still seeking.

Anyhow, my question to you is:

MBTI - it took me a few months to figure out my type. I didn't understand the system, didn't know myself and just had hard time with it. I figured it out through a sequence of assessments and reflection. I'm 100% confident in my MBTI type and have been for a long time.

Enneagram - First the easy one. I typed as SX and there is really not much question about that. It was very obvious. With regards to the primary Enneagram type, I took a number of assessments. They all said 8. I accepted it as fact. This went on for quite some time - perhaps a year? One of our members - Zarathustra called me out on it and basically said there was no way I was an 8. He provided some specific reasons. Others had alluded to it as well (like Kasper). It was enough for me to reconsider. So, I took another assessment, got typed by a professional and figured out that I'm actually a 6, leaning heavily towards the counter-phobic side, which looks a bit like an 8. I'm 100% certain this new typing is correct. I've learned a lot more about Enneagram over the past year or two.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You make claims, but don't back them up at all, making them meaningless; you simply declare what you consider truth as self-evident.

It's just historical fact. Try researching Wikipedia articles on Oscar Ichavo and Tritypes.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Let me share another embarrassment. I believe my little brother, who I have typed INTP for ages, is actually ISTP. He is SO MUCH LIKE our INTP dad. But - he is less caught up in his head. At first I figured this was due to enneatype, INTP dad being 6w5 and brother being 9w8. And then he never really liked to read, until he discovered fishing magazines, at which point he LAUNCHED IN to learning advanced technical stuff. He's a budding scientist, for sure, but he's more about interactive learning and experimentation than hanging around and googling a zillion concepts. I can't imagine the kid on INTP forum - when he argues on the internet, it's invariably sarcastic. And his hobbies are mountain biking and weight lifting. And he's pretty social for a Ti dom. And he's pretty go-with-the-flow. And he's always had precocious skill with physical maneuvering - balance, coordination, testing the limits. Sounds like auxiliary Se, durrrr.

I first got a quiet feeling that I may have mistyped him one day when I was Ne-ing to him and he told me that sometimes he just doesn't listen to me because I say so many pointless things. Lol. :]

Marmie Dearest said:
Also in terms of enneagram I confused 4w3 (which is second in my tritype) with 6w7...but that's a VERY common mix up, and I think many Fi types identify with 4.

So true.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me share another embarrassment. I believe my little brother, who I have typed INTP for ages, is actually ISTP. He is SO MUCH LIKE our INTP dad. But - he is less caught up in his head. At first I figured this was due to enneatype, INTP dad being 6w5 and brother being 9w8. And then he never really liked to read, until he discovered fishing magazines, at which point he LAUNCHED IN to learning advanced technical stuff. He's a budding scientist, for sure, but he's more about interactive learning and experimentation than hanging around and googling a zillion concepts. I can't imagine the kid on INTP forum - when he argues on the internet, it's invariably sarcastic. And his hobbies are mountain biking and weight lifting. And he's pretty social for a Ti dom. And he's pretty go-with-the-flow. And he's always had precocious skill with physical maneuvering - balance, coordination, testing the limits. Sounds like auxiliary Se, durrrr.

Is he very anecdotal? Quiet-yet-social Sensing types are big on telling anecdotes.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is he very anecdotal? Quiet-yet-social Sensing types are big on telling anecdotes.

Hm, no, not really. I associate that more with SJs, though, don't you? He did just run in the room and show me this huge area of cuts and scrapes he got from flying off his bike and faceplanting.

:laugh: