Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    I would argue that 1's, 3's, 5's, and 8's are actually the strongest or least wimpy of the circle. Who cares what their inner motivations are? They get a lot done in the world and often have much to look back on as proof of their competence (beside the 8, the aforementioned types form the Competent triad). I can't say the same for 9's and most especially for 4's.
    I agree with all of this except 5. average and unhealthy 5s sit around intellectually postulating and don't get stuff done
    Edit: my thoughts currently are, from most to least wimpy:
    9>4>2>5=7>1>8>3
    with 6s ranging all over the spectrum from extremely wimpy to the complete opposite
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I'm well aware of the flaws of both 1s and 8s, but not every flaw can be classified as wimpy. wimpy means you lack power (physical, psychological, mental etc) to get done what you want to and thus are tossed around by the tides of life. the opposite of a wimpy person is someone who wills for something to happen in the world and it gets done. essentially, wimpy-ness boils down to effectiveness and 8s and 1s don't tend to lack in that department.
    PS: taking this into consideration, I'm taking 3s off the wimpy list. in theory, they are wimpy because they rely on the support and "that a boy's" of others, but in practice they are seldom in short supply of these and get a lot done in the world. actually, in practice, they might be the least wimpy type
    No. It's wimpy to go through life having a barrier up to block people from getting in by domineering them or by imposing your own personal sense of justice onto others just because you always want to be right. You used the same description to describe your own definition of power which again, is skewed. Anyone can "will" for anything to happen and anyone can be "effective" while still being "wimpy". If someone went through life taking care of their work/school life to the best of their abilities yet didn't focus at all on their personal life and problems, are they or are they not wimpy? What if they were using their schoolwork/work to run away from other serious problems they were facing? Would they not be considered wimpy because they were being effective at working even though they weren't taking care of other more serious matters in their life?

And if we're going by your definition of what being wimpy is, then 2's, 6's, and 7's couldn't possibly be wimpy because both types work extremely hard and are effective at getting things done.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

garbage

aif we focus on external wimpy-ness, there is.
    I regard that as extremely boring because the obvious answers to 'external wimpiness' then become 9, phobic 6, and 4. It's even more boring than that because we're seeing many posts with no rationale behind them; we're just seein' a bunch of numbers flying around. That's largely because the answers are obvious.

Regarding effectiveness, there are a hell of a lot of people who don't know what they truly want--be it because their so-called wants emerge at the surface-level and/or are dictated by social pressures, perceived moral obligations, basic fears, so on and so forth. So, they can't exactly bring what they want into the world because they haven't identified it.

Climbing up the wrong ladder really, really quickly is not the same thing as being effective. That's, like, one of the fundamental tenets in the book The Seven Habits for Highly Effective People, which has 'effective' right there in the title.

But this digresses into boring 'internal wimpiness' territory, which has no room for discussion or disagreement, so I suppose I ought to leave it alone.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I agree with all of this except 5. average and unhealthy 5s sit around intellectually postulating and don't get stuff done
    Edit: my thoughts currently are, from most to least wimpy:
    9>4>2>5=7>1>8>3
    with 6s ranging all over the spectrum from extremely wimpy to the complete opposite
    why is 3 the least wimpy?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    No. It's wimpy to go through life having a barrier up to block people from getting in by domineering them or by imposing your own personal sense of justice onto others just because you always want to be right. You used the same description to describe your own definition of power which again, is skewed. Anyone can "will" for anything to happen and anyone can be "effective" while still being "wimpy".
    blocking people out of your life is a strength, not a weakness. blocking people out means that you can be more rational, have less agendas to balance, have less obligation and have less social pressure. granted, I don't advocate blocking everyone out of your life, but personally, I think most people could use more time to themselves and less people to keep track of (and definitely less people to try to fit in with/impress)
    as far as I'm concerned, people are either:
    A: people to exchange information with
    B: people to form deep connection with (there is only room for a few of these, not the 1000 friends most people have on facebook)
    C: contacts you can network with to further your career
    D: a means of entertainment
    or
    E: useless

If someone went through life taking care of their work/school life to the best of their abilities yet didn't focus at all on their personal life and problems, are they or are they not wimpy? What if they were using their schoolwork/work to run away from other serious problems they were facing? Would they not be considered wimpy because they were being effective at working even though they weren't taking care of other more serious matters in their life?
    not wimpy. I would suggest they take care of these things because I agree that they are problems, but they are a different kind of problem then being wimpy (I've suffered from both before and I can tell you they freakin suck)

And if we're going by your definition of what being wimpy is, then 2's, 6's, and 7's couldn't possibly be wimpy because both types work extremely hard and are effective at getting things done.
    - you actually have a point with 2s (they just are more ambitious in the interpersonal realm, but they tend to get what they're looking for)
    - 7s are wimpy because we run away from our problems, procrastinate and think things will magically work out without having to make them. also, we're burdened with making everything we do fun because our productivity plummets if it isn't (as a 7 who values hard work and discipline, I have trouble facing this inner demon)
    - I stand by my reasoning for wanting to discuss external rather than internal wimpy-ness (ie, for the sake of controversy and forcing one to pick an option as opposed to just agreeing and making boring discussion) but for me personally, being that I'm a 7w8 with 1 and 3 fixes, I'm starting to think there is some truth to what you said in my definition of wimpy being biased. I will reevaluate this
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    why is 3 the least wimpy?
    3 is the least (externally) wimpy because they are the most effective at getting results in the real world.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I regard that as extremely boring because the obvious answers to 'external wimpiness' then become 9, phobic 6, and 4. It's even more boring than that because we're seeing many posts with no rationale behind them; we're just seein' a bunch of numbers flying around. That's largely because the answers are obvious.

Regarding effectiveness, there are a hell of a lot of people who don't know what they truly want--be it because their so-called wants emerge at the surface-level and/or are dictated by social pressures, perceived moral obligations, basic fears, so on and so forth. So, they can't exactly bring what they want into the world because they haven't identified it.

Climbing up the wrong ladder really, really quickly is not the same thing as being effective. That's, like, one of the fundamental tenets in the book The Seven Habits for Highly Effective People, which has 'effective' right there in the title.

But this digresses into boring 'internal wimpiness' territory, which has no room for discussion or disagreement, so I suppose I ought to leave it alone.
    you have a good point here. I consider anyone who doesn't know what they want to be a wimp because not knowing what you want means you don't have a will, which means that you are tossed around by life and a victim of your circumstances. that said, I support everyone discovering what they want in life, but not for the sole purpose of not being wimpy (pursuing such an involved activity for such a shallow reason would be silly and kinda defeat the purpose)
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

garbage

you have a good point here. I consider anyone who doesn't know what they want to be a wimp because not knowing what you want means you don't have a will, which means that you are tossed around by life and a victim of your circumstances. that said, I support everyone discovering what they want in life, but not for the sole purpose of not being wimpy (pursuing such an involved activity for such a shallow reason would be silly and kinda defeat the purpose)
    Let's make things interesting by ignoring that 'good point' and also exploring the option that 9s aren't as stereotypically wimpy as we might think.

On the surface level, at least, 9s stereotypically don't really want or need a whole lot out of life. They want harmony and simplicity, generally, and they are pretty unimposing. If they just plain don't want a lot--that is, if they don't have a lot of things that they want to 'will into existence' in the first place, are they wimpy?

Can we contrast them to the types that are extremely picky about what they want (I dunno, 1s?) and strive to make every single detail of their external reality 'perfect' by their own estimation? Are the picky types thus the most willful and thus the most potentially not-wimpy?

Would we regard the more adaptable, accepting, and accommodating types as lacking a will and thus wimpy? To me, it could be that they simply don't want to dictate a whole fat lot about the world around them--that they may truly want to instead act as catalysts for others (as, say, psychologists and counselors do) or to provide stability.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Your definition of 'wimpy' differs from ours in that you're looking for outward displays of wimpiness, weakness, and cowardice; we're looking at the core of the person, their internal psychological makeup.

Using the latter definition, 'inward' wimpiness/cowardice may manifest as outward brashness and bullying. Moreover, I would note that the core of the Enneagram is that the types point to coping mechanisms (regarded by some to be irrational strategies for obtaining happiness) that are intended to be overcome. I think that anyone who is unwilling to do so--to face themselves--is a coward.

I hope that explains my (our?) perspective.

Both 'outward' and 'inward' wimpiness are fine subjects. Which do you want to talk about?
    See, I just assumed that we're talking about outward wimpiness because the enneagram as a system is about internal wimpiness. You can look at it as 9 common defence mechanisms that get engrained into different personalities. So really, all types at their core are wimpy (at least before they develop into healthier states).

We're all in the same boat! Postmodernist rainbow orgy yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Let's make things interesting by ignoring that 'good point' and also exploring the option that 9s aren't as stereotypically wimpy as we might think.

On the surface level, at least, 9s stereotypically don't really want or need a whole lot out of life. They want harmony and simplicity, generally, and they are pretty unimposing. If they just plain don't want a lot--that is, if they don't have a lot of things that they want to 'will into existence' in the first place, are they wimpy?
    Can we contrast them to the types that are extremely picky about what they want and strive to make every single detail of their external reality 'perfect' by their own estimation?
    Would we regard the more adaptable, accepting, and accommodating types as lacking a will and thus wimpy? To me, it could be that they simply don't want to dictate a whole fat lot about the world around them--that they may truly want to instead act as catalysts for others (as, say, psychologists and counselors do) or to provide stability.
    wrong, 9s are self forgetting and disconnected from their own thoughts and feelings (actually, they're disconnected from just about everything most of the time). healthy 9s become proactive, discover their voice, what they want for themselves, what they want to do and go out and get it, but until then, they are extremely wimpy
    PS: accommodating types get on my nerves, but I don't know if I'd call all of them wimpy.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!