User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,910

    Default What's Your Favorite Book On Enneagram?

    What are your favorite books on Enneagram? I'll collect a list through this thread and then add a poll.

    Here are some starters (ones that I have):
    Character and Neurosis - An Integrative View - Claudio Naranjo
    The Wisdom of the Enneagram - Riso and Hudson
    The Enneagram - Helen Palmer
    Three Keys of Self Understanding (Enneagram is only part of it)
    The 27 Tritypes Revealed - Katherine Chernick Fauvre
    Enneagram Instinctual Subtypes - Katherine Chernick Fauvre
    The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram - Sandra Maitri
    Facets of Unity - AH Almaas
    Archetypes of the Enneagram - Susan Rhodes

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  2. #2
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    I haven't read all of these. Of the ones I've read, I like Wisdom of the Enneagram the Best. It's pretty comprehensive- talks about wings, subtypes, levels of health. It explains well to a layperson without either oversimplifying or overcomplexifying.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  3. #3
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What are your favorite books on Enneagram? I'll collect a list through this thread and then add a poll.

    Here are some starters (ones that I have):
    Character and Neurosis - An Integrative View - Claudio Naranjo
    The Wisdom of the Enneagram - Riso and Hudson
    The Enneagram - Helen Palmer
    Three Keys of Self Understanding (Enneagram is only part of it)
    The 27 Tritypes Revealed - Katherine Chernick Fauvre
    Enneagram Instinctual Subtypes - Katherine Chernick Fauvre
    The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram - Sandra Maitri
    Facets of Unity - AH Almaas
    Archetypes of the Enneagram - Susan Rhodes
    i've been meaning to get the bolded one, @JocktheMotie recommended it to me
    partly because i'm always swaying between if i'm a 7w8 or 8w7 and questioning
    my own type.

    i think the riso-hudson and the palmer books are a good introduction to the
    enneagram, easy to read, easy to understand, but i've found that it's not the
    best source that gets me the answers or provides the depth of exploration i want?

    i have more of the 'mainstream' popular books, due to being overseas, so it's harder
    to find the more lesser-known/marketed books, but i've basically bought everything
    i've found.

    my collection:
    The Enneagram in Love and Work: Understanding Your Intimate and Business Relationships - Helen Palmer
    The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others In Your Life - Helen Palmer
    Essential Enneagram: The Definitive Personality Test and Self-Discovery Guide -- Revised & Updated by David Daniels and Virginia Price
    Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery by Russ Hudson and Don Richard Riso
    Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded by Russ Hudson and Don Richard Riso
    The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types by Russ Hudson and Don Richard Riso
    Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types by Russ Hudson and Don Richard Riso
    What's My Type? by Kathleen V. Hurley
    Everything Enneagram Book: Identify Your Type, Gain Insight into Your Personality and Find Success in Life, Love, and Business (Everything (Self-Help)) by Susan Reynolds
    Nine Lenses on the World: the Enneagram Perspective by Jerome Peter Wagner*

    @Jaguar recommended the really lovely book entitled nine lenses on the world
    by jerome wagner -- which when i read, i'll find myself on the fence
    between 7 (the joyful person) and 8 (the powerful person).

    i've told jock that i feel as though, depending on the book my type changes.
    with the riso-hudson and palmer books, i will type myself as an 8 and not
    even consider being 7 at all. i was telling him that i wished the enneagram
    came in shoe sizes. omni 7.5 would fit perfectly. no wings. just right in between.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

  4. #4
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i've told jock that i feel as though, depending on the book my type changes.
    with the riso-hudson and palmer books, i will type myself as an 8 and not
    even consider being 7 at all. i was telling him that i wished the enneagram
    came in shoe sizes. omni 7.5 would fit perfectly. no wings. just right in between.
    Character and Neurosis is worth it for the beginning chapters alone, which focus on the goals of typology and the focus of the Enneagram. The type descriptions are also pretty illuminating but kind of 'clinical,' some of his correlations with MBTI are hit-or-miss, connections with neuroses are excellent, and it's overall worth having in your collection. Naranjo is also relatively definitive.

    Unfortunately, everyone has their own interpretation of the types; through Riso's lens, you may be a 4; through Palmer's, you may be a 6, and so on. We could get into tritype, disintegration/integration, and other sorts of theoretical explanations, but too much concentration on that gets us far into left field and defeats the purpose--and even those come with different interpretations. I try to understand the core fears of the type, enjoy and learn from the process of searching and putting what I learn into action, and resign myself to not fitting so cleanly into a single core. So I've got 3-ish, 6-ish core motivations and haven't fully teased out the differences or where I fit--it doesn't bother me so much.

    That's why I've become a bigger fan of the works that concentrate on growth rather than sheer explanation, myself. This one is $3 and pretty good to boot.

    @Jaguar recommended the really lovely book entitled nine lenses on the world
    by jerome wagner
    Holy crap, this one looks amazing from the first few chapters. Thanks to both you and Jag for pointing this one out.

  5. #5
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    but too much concentration on that gets us far into left field and defeats the purpose--and even those come with different interpretations. I try to understand the core fears of the type, enjoy and learn from the process of searching and putting what I learn into action, and resign myself to not fitting so cleanly into a single core. So I've got 3-ish, 6-ish core motivations and haven't fully teased out the differences or where I fit--it doesn't bother me so much.

    That's why I've become a bigger fan of the works that concentrate on growth rather than sheer explanation, myself. This one is $3 and pretty good to boot.
    yes, i agree, i've come to find that the books with more of a 'spiritual' slant
    to it allows me to understand more. not because i'm spiritual, instead i'm
    the very opposite, so it lets me disassociate myself from the sprinklings of
    behaviour descriptors. because when i read books palmer/hudson-esque books,
    i can't help but go "that's me, oh this too! and this aaaaand this"-- the first time
    i read palmer i wrote down all the types i thought i was: 2,3,4,6,7,8,9. hahahhaha.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

  6. #6
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,910

    Default

    Facets of Unity is actually pretty good.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  7. #7
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    yes, i agree, i've come to find that the books with more of a 'spiritual' slant
    to it allows me to understand more. not because i'm spiritual, instead i'm
    the very opposite, so it lets me disassociate myself from the sprinklings of
    behaviour descriptors. because when i read books palmer/hudson-esque books,
    i can't help but go "that's me, oh this too! and this aaaaand this"-- the first time
    i read palmer i wrote down all the types i thought i was: 2,3,4,6,7,8,9. hahahhaha.
    Oh, yeah. Also, you'll be happy to know that Naranjo provides a good bit of explanation as to how the types can be seen on a continuum (and how personality disorders fit on that same continuum), which might help you sort out that whole "7/8/7.5" deal.

  8. #8
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    I'm currently reading Character and Neurosis and it kicks the ass off anything else I've read on the enneagram (and I've read a lot). It's incredibly insightful, it was so obvious I couldn't be anything but a four, and reading the four description feels like a transformative experience for me in and of itself. Seriously, since I first read it three days ago I've been residing in a sweaty puddle of self awareness.

    For instincts, I like the description in Wisdom of the Enneagram the best, but otherwise i'm not fond of it. I wish naranjo went into instinct theory more because maybe then I'd understand it better.

  9. #9
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,005

    Default

    Character and Neurosis - An Integrative View - Claudio Naranjo. Best one!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  10. #10
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    i finally got the character and neurosis book that everybody's been talking about.
    i like it, what he writes about type 8 definitely left me felt like "omg a stranger
    knows about all the shit i get up to" it was awesome.

    @YWIR you should read about type 8, you'd laugh

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Oh, yeah. Also, you'll be happy to know that Naranjo provides a good bit of explanation as to how the types can be seen on a continuum (and how personality disorders fit on that same continuum), which might help you sort out that whole "7/8/7.5" deal.
    definitely 8, the funny thing is a lot of the phrases that he use in the book,
    i had come up independently through a lot of my of journalling too, so i had
    a super cheeky smile when i noticed the parallels. what he calls sadistic, i've
    always called my 'wicked streak'. lovely jubbly.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite font?
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
  2. [NT] NT's what are your favorite books?
    By Musicallogic in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
  3. What is your favorite # and why?
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
  4. What's Your Favorite Kind of Hair?
    By Mempy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 01:44 AM
  5. What's your favorite piece of pop culture?
    By EffEmDoubleyou in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO