User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Enneagram Type Is Carl Jung?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1

    0 0%
  • 2

    0 0%
  • 3

    0 0%
  • 4

    2 10.53%
  • 5

    12 63.16%
  • 6

    0 0%
  • 7

    0 0%
  • 8

    0 0%
  • 9

    5 26.32%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 90

  1. #11
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I haven't read much about him.

    However I'm inclined to think he might have been a 4w5 or perhaps a 5w4? (More former than latter)

    Why? I seem to believe he might be a INFJ with a heavy emphasis on Ni and Ti over Fe.
    That's a fairly common response. That function order would cause an overdose of introversion which is true of Jung during one part of his life.

    However, I can't see where you got INFJ out of that. If Ni and Ti are used heavily, like duelling dominants, then he was not a single MBTI type.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #12
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    That's a fairly common response. That function order would cause an overdose of introversion which is true of Jung during one part of his life.

    However, I can't see where you got INFJ out of that. If Ni and Ti are used heavily, like duelling dominants, then he was not a single MBTI type.
    I honestly haven't read enough of his original works nor his autobiography to make any real comments. However I was just using a basic psychology textbook "Beneath the mask" (It's for my homework essay) to make an estimate of what he would have been. In these books, it reports him as being INTP but I kind of feel differently about it.

    Archetypes from the collective unconsciousness.
    Theory of Synchronicity.
    The idea of balance and union. (The first thought that came to my head was Yin-Yang Taoism...)
    Astrology
    OBEs
    Interest in converting images of unionship/symbolism into artwork.

    While I'm aware that INTPs like to conceptualize stuff and create logical systems. These sort of things push me towards the belief that he's more likely to be an INFJ with a heavy emphasis on Ti, interested in creating models for himself to comprehend people around him as well himself.

    Then again I've not really met many INTPs to make any real claim about what they can and cannot like. However I'm more inclined to think of INFJs as more philosophical inclined (in understanding humans and morality) than INTPs, who while can be into philosophy, are more likely to adopt empircist/agonistic positions regarding the world (higher interest in knowledge and logic).

    Eitherway he definitely was a pretty quirky kid if he sat on a stone, and felt at ease because he identified himself as the stone that needn't be concerned about problems. He definitely saw himself as unique...

    "As a school boy, Jung began to experience himself and be convinced that he was both the child he objectively seemed to be and also an authoritative wise old man who had lived in the eigheenth centuary. So power was his sense of a past life that, as an eleven year old doing his schoolwork, he would occasinally write "1786" instead of 1886."
    Then they quote something he wrote...

    "I was seized with rage that this fat, ignorant boor should dare to insult ME. This ME was not only grown up, but important, an authority, a person with office and dignity, an old man, an object of respect and awe. Yet the contrast with reality was so grotesque that in the midst of my fury I suddenly stopped myself, for the question rose to my lips: "Who in the world are you, anyway?"... Then to my intense confusion, it occured to me that I was actually two different persons. One of them was the schoolboy who could not grasp algebra and was far from sure of himself; the other was important, a high authority, a man not to be trifled with... This "other" was an old man who lived in the 18th century."
    The reason why I don't see any problem with the whole Ni-Ti = No type, for the most part because I can see how easily something like that can occur.

    While I don't really identify with Ni. I can identify with the idea of an overdeveloped Ti and an underdeveloped Fe. In fact, there's several INFJs here that identify with Ti>Fe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Jung's work on himself and his patients convinced him that life has a spiritual purpose beyond material goals. Our main task, he believed, is to discover and fulfill our deep innate potential. Based on his study of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Taoism, and other traditions, Jung believed that this journey of transformation, which he called individuation, is at the mystical heart of all religions. It is a journey to meet the self and at the same time to meet the Divine. Unlike Sigmund Freud, Jung thought spiritual experience was essential to our well-being.[21]
    Then there's the more basic sort of Wikipedia stuff... that just give me the impression he's more of an NF than a NT personally. But ultimately I guess one can find evidence for all sides?

  3. #13
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    That split-personality description sounds like it should support the two types theory.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #14
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    That split-personality description sounds like it should support the two types theory.
    There is a two-types theory?

    This book I'm reading seems to state that quite a fair few of these psychologists had issues to deal within themselves, which they found answers in psychology.
    Guess that's where the whole stereotype "A fair amount of students probably go into psychology because they don't really understand themselves, or have problems with some aspect of themselves..." comes from.

    It does seem like he truly believed in this 'other' personality within himself. But, I always figured that it's not actually that uncommon for individuals to imagine (perhaps not to the extent of hallucination) that they have a more intelligent and wiser aspect of himself. Given his religious background and his belief system in past lives, I'm not really surprised. In most new-age literature, you'll find countless of people talking about their "higher self" and other stuff like that which sounds oddly familiar to all this.

  5. #15
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    @Kai, those examples you are using to describe Jung is also the reason why many also pin him as a 9w1 and not 5w4. It is not uncommon that a 9w1 would have an intuitive and intellectual grasp like a 5(of either wing) has on a subject. It is just, the reasoning behind why the 9w1 partake on these things are different from why a 5 would partake on it. It is not hard(at least for me) to understand why people take Jung as more of a 9w1 instead of a 5. He didn't take on these pursuits for knowledge sake, he took them for people sake.

    @Thinkist, it is VERY common for a 9 to mistype as a 5 because both types are similar. Probably one of the major differences would be the "root."

  6. #16
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    There is a two-types theory?
    Yes, the Ni Ti types already mentioned. Did you read my response to it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    his book I'm reading seems to state that quite a fair few of these psychologists had issues to deal within themselves, which they found answers in psychology.
    Guess that's where the whole stereotype "A fair amount of students probably go into psychology because they don't really understand themselves, or have problems with some aspect of themselves..." comes from.

    It does seem like he truly believed in this 'other' personality within himself. But, I always figured that it's not actually that uncommon for individuals to imagine (perhaps not to the extent of hallucination) that they have a more intelligent and wiser aspect of himself. Given his religious background and his belief system in past lives, I'm not really surprised. In most new-age literature, you'll find countless of people talking about their "higher self" and other stuff like that which sounds oddly familiar to all this.
    INFJ with a strong Ti tertiary - that's worth considering, and I'm sure it already has been mentioned somewhere.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #17
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    5 pretty much equals INTP, jung was an INTP, so not hard to figure out his enneagram

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I honestly haven't read enough of his original works nor his autobiography to make any real comments.
    Vouch.

    @mal12345 There was no split personality, but a second personality that was working in the field of the unconscious. Also you must remember that jungs typology was with dom function, so in jungs model being in aux function mode would constitude as second personality. However i dont think this was about aux, but about tert/inferior
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  8. #18
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    5 pretty much equals INTP, jung was an INTP, so not hard to figure out his enneagram



    Vouch.

    @mal12345 There was no split personality, but a second personality that was working in the field of the unconscious. Also you must remember that jungs typology was with dom function, so in jungs model being in aux function mode would constitude as second personality. However i dont think this was about aux, but about tert/inferior
    How does the Se inferior play a role in this?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #19
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    @Kai, those examples you are using to describe Jung is also the reason why many also pin him as a 9w1 and not 5w4. It is not uncommon that a 9w1 would have an intuitive and intellectual grasp like a 5(of either wing) has on a subject. It is just, the reasoning behind why the 9w1 partake on these things are different from why a 5 would partake on it. It is not hard(at least for me) to understand why people take Jung as more of a 9w1 instead of a 5. He didn't take on these pursuits for knowledge sake, he took them for people sake.
    Yeah if I were to write down the three that stand out to me. It would be 4,5 and 9.

    I'm sure there are others on here that have thought of Carl as an INFJ before for similar reasons. I find the idea that 5 = Automatic INTP pretty lame as an technique to identify people. I also find the idea that because Carl Jung commented in an interview that he had difficult with feelings, that automatically is a T to be pretty stupid as well.

    I constantly see people make reference to him classifying himself as an introverted thinker but I haven't found it. I have seen self-reference to introverted intuitiveness though.

    So INTP dude...
    According to you, was Jung an INTP individual with an over-developed Ni? Or did he just get introverted intuition mix up?

  10. #20
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Yeah if I were to write down the three that stand out to me. It would be 4,5 and 9.

    I'm sure there are others on here that have thought of Carl as an INFJ before for similar reasons. I find the idea that 5 = Automatic INTP pretty lame as an technique to identify people. I also find the idea that because Carl Jung commented in an interview that he had difficult with feelings, that automatically is a T to be pretty stupid as well.

    I constantly see people make reference to him classifying himself as an introverted thinker but I haven't found it. I have seen self-reference to introverted intuitiveness though.

    So INTP dude...
    According to you, was Jung an INTP individual with an over-developed Ni? Or did he just get introverted intuition mix up?
    His intuition was clearly extraverted. Its obvious when you study his work and look at where/how he came up with majority of his ideas.

    What makes you think he used Ni instead of Ne?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

Similar Threads

  1. What MBTI type was Carl Jung
    By five in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 455
    Last Post: 04-13-2017, 12:51 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM
  3. What enneagram type is Mondo
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Now that I'm confident in what my type is..
    By Fluffywolf in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 03:09 AM
  5. Pretend i dont know what my type is
    By welshlass in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO