User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's Better - Tritype or wings?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wings

14 37.84%
  • Tritype

11 29.73%
  • Neither is better than the other

12 32.43%
  • Other (explain)

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default What's Better - Enneagram Wings or Tritype?

Do wings fit you better or do you think Tritype is a better representation of who you are?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

My wing really doesn't fit me very well. Generally type 1 is one of my lowest scores on tests, and I hardly relate to it at all. My tritype is a much better fit.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

This thread needs a poll...

I think my wing fits well.

I don't know my tritype.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

To me, tritype is a bit of a copout and is kind of a way of compromising when you're not 100% sure of type and identify with bits of a few of them. So I think wings SHOULD have more bearing on reality...but then again, I'm still a bit uncertain about mine. I identify strongly with aspects of both 6w5 and 6w7, let's say.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I also think part of my issue with tritype is that it makes the enneagram even more "hand wavy" than it already is. The theoretical underpinnings for the enneagram are already questionable, imo. That doesn't stop me from thinking it's useful, though, as, if someone would self-identify as an ENFP e8 vs an ENFP e4 or ENFP e2, I think there's a lot of value to those distinctions. In other words, it's still meaningful, despite the lack of solid theoretical grounding (which is not to say that someone couldn't come up with a reasonably solid theoretical grounding -- at least as solid as Jung's typology [which, imo, is, likewise, not completely solid]), because it does describe the person to some degree (and the fact that reasonably strong correlations exist between MBTI types and enneagram types, and that, if you understand both systems, you can understand why those correlations would exist, only serves to further buttress this point). But once you bring up, "Oh, you're actually 3 out of the 9 types", and then the question can even become, "Well, do my 3 tri-type types have wings, too?", which would entail you now kinda being 6 out of the 9 types... and then you start throwing in the integration and disintegration points... I mean, as you can see (or at least as I see it), it all starts sounding very wishy-washy...

My $0.02. I don't really have a strong background in the enneagram.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Wings. Tritype is nonsense for some of the reasons already stated, but mostly because it's born from people trying to find typological reasons for why they like chocolate ice cream.

The wing theory fits best with me. I can see clearly its influence. I agree with the criticism against the tritype theory.

Overall the theories are all over the place. With wings, tritypes, and arrows of integration/disintegration, it becomes extremely confusing and convoluted.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Tritype explains why I identify alot with both 5 and 9. I identify with 9 more than either wing of type 5.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I mean, whatever. All of this typology stuff is necessarily unscientific and impossible to prove one way or the other, so if you've found tritypes better account for behavior, then there you go.

I've found Enneagram and MBTI to provide useful frameworks for discussing human behavior, but it's important to remember that all frameworks are only frameworks. If they accounted for everything, they'd just be "reality" and would be useless since they don't simplify anything. My opinion is that tritypes add too many layers of complexity so that the system becomes cumbersome and inelegant.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Wings. Tritype is nonsense for some of the reasons already stated, but mostly because it's born from people trying to find typological reasons for why they like chocolate ice cream.
    Tritype fits me much better. Maybe i dont have a wing because neither of them resonate. I do think enneagram ise extremely useful - more practical value than mbti, functions, etc.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639