User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's Better - Tritype or wings?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wings

14 37.84%
  • Tritype

11 29.73%
  • Neither is better than the other

12 32.43%
  • Other (explain)

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    As a 6, I've had a desire to be right/perfect in certain situations, to be loved, to be successful, to be unique, etc., but my energy in all of these situations stemmed from feelings of being insecure and unsure of myself - the very essence of a 6.
    So, I bought this Naranjo book referenced earlier and started to read a little of it. He says that the MBTI type most closely aligned with 6 is ENTJ.

If anyone had told me a couple of years ago that anxiety, fear or being unsure of my thinking was a core motivation, I would have said they were nuts. It's why I had never even considered 6. I think we go through life somewhat oblivious of these things unless somehow they are brought to our attention. Think of a 9 for example.

As I think about it further, a great deal of my life has been focused on building these layers of security - financial, relational or otherwise. Even personality type is interesting to me because it helps to provide a bit more certainty about things.

Also, I am in the Information Security field. How about that.
    Last edited by highlander; 03-05-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I mean, whatever. All of this typology stuff is necessarily unscientific and impossible to prove one way or the other, so if you've found tritypes better account for behavior, then there you go.

I've found Enneagram and MBTI to provide useful frameworks for discussing human behavior, but it's important to remember that all frameworks are only frameworks. If they accounted for everything, they'd just be "reality" and would be useless since they don't simplify anything. My opinion is that tritypes add too many layers of complexity so that the system becomes cumbersome and inelegant.
    Are you an INTP?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

The statement that "all models are wrong, but some are useful" comes to mind.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yes, it's because more and more of the site's members have gone through the individuation process and have found their true, ideal selves (ENTPs).

This is the same question that I've been asking myself. If we can assume that we've got one and only one fixation and that that one fixation does explain one's thought patterns, then it makes sense to delve deep into that one fixation. Otherwise, not so much.

If an 8 has a connection to 5, tritype offers an explanation (whether or not it's a good one);
    Tritypes offers no explanation, just a theory and a formula. Did you mean to say "theory"?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Ok, its theory explains why typing people with the enneagram is so confusing sometimes. And in this it is no different from the ANSIR which has three similar categories: its Emoting, Working, and Thinking correlate well with the three ennea-triads or centers.

But there have been similar explanations offered, and none of them seem to be the correct one, or all of them are correct. It's arbitrary. A 5w6 who acts like a type 1: well, that's just "resonance." Same with the 5w4 "resonating" with 9 because they happen to lie on opposite sides of the enneagram.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

garbage

Was it so informative that it made you rethink the validity of tritypes?
    It makes me think that there may be enough there to justify the ordering of the types, in a way that we can point to and say--'okay, I can see that making sense.'

It's difficult for me to think of universal 'validity' of the tritypes. I am quite sure that 6 is my main fixation, that '5-ness' colors (and Naranjo clarifies to some extent why this may be), and that I often have motivations, behaviors, and thought patterns similar to a 3's. For me, it's difficult to see where any particular 'gut' type plays into the mix, and to introduce a gut type may cloud things more than it's worth.

The only thing I can say universally is that understanding the core type presents the most 'bang for your buck,' so to speak.

Now, where I'm going with this is that it's impossible for your friend to display both fixations (if that is what you meant) unless he was a very high strung individual who couldn't relax in any moment. It might seem like he's a 1 and 5 because both are in the competency triad, but otherwise, both of you may probably not be typing him correctly. It could also be that both of you are just analyzing the motivations, such as 1's having a desire for perfection and a 5 wanting to be competent, which are motivations anyone could simultaneously have, instead of thinking about his fixation.
    What's interesting is that Naranjo's book explains type 1 and then explains type 5, in that order, and actually delves into some of the similarities (and differences) between them--mostly in the notion that both are driven and demanding, and that the 1 is externally perfectionistic whereas the 5 is internally perfectionistic.

In general, many of his type explanations hint at how some types may appear similar to certain others.

Overall, yeah, I think that I should have picked this book up earlier.

I don't get what you're saying. Since I was talking about myself, let me just explain it in that way. I personally have little faith in myself in a lot of things, so I rely on other outside sources to make me feel more at ease. When I analyze myself, I'm able to see that this line of thinking controls everything I do.
    Same. As a 6, I regard there as being very little stability in general, especially internally. I wind up believing that it would be easier to find some external standards (that have already, apparently, stood the test of time) to cling to, but then I also end up doubting those and turning them over on their heads as well. Naranjo states that the 6 seeks problems, especially in himself, as a way to feel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Tritypes offers no explanation, just a theory and a formula. Did you mean to say "theory"?
    Yup, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The statement that "all models are wrong, but some are useful" comes to mind.
    This is another one of those statements that continually needs to be shouted from the rooftops on these forums.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

It seems I may have to check out this book. I got The Wisdom of the Enneagram a couple of years ago, but it pretty much just went over what you could easily find online. I'm curious as to how someone would think an ENTJ would be the most closely aligned with 6, since you'd think it'd be more representative of a 3 or 8.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It seems I may have to check out this book. I got The Wisdom of the Enneagram a couple of years ago, but it pretty much just went over what you could easily find online. I'm curious as to how someone would think an ENTJ would be the most closely aligned with 6, since you'd think it'd be more representative of a 3 or 8.
    He said it's the counter-phobic aspect which sort of looks like 8.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    He said it's the counter-phobic aspect which sort of looks like 8.
    That makes sense.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

SingSmileShine

I find that combining them works!

For instance, I'm 7w6-3w2-8w7.