User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's Better - Tritype or wings?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wings

    14 37.84%
  • Tritype

    11 29.73%
  • Neither is better than the other

    12 32.43%
  • Other (explain)

    1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 84

  1. #61
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Well first of all, motivation is a bad word to use to describe what the enneagram does. I used it before, but animegai said it best: it's the lens through which we see the world in. All 9 types' "motivations" can be experienced by everyone, and I'd be surprised if no one experienced more than one (and even more than 3) of those "motivations" in their lifetime. As a 6, I've had a desire to be right/perfect in certain situations, to be loved, to be successful, to be unique, etc., but my energy in all of these situations stemmed from feelings of being insecure and unsure of myself - the very essence of a 6. When you talk about your friend's motivations, what exactly do you mean?

    Secondly, the way tritypes work is that when your primary core fixation doesn't work in a situation, you supposedly jump to your secondary core fixation and try to use that to fix the problem. If that doesn't work, then you finally jump to your third fixation to solve the situation. Contrary to how many people view the tritypes, it isn't just your top fixation from each triad, but rather, how you act when you get stressed out. If you notice above, David468 is one of the co-founders of the tritype and if you see his videos, you won't even see a trace of 8 in him. I remember a member of this site (I think it was Elfboy) saying that s/he asked David about why he was a 468 and not a 469, which would be more apt for him, and him replying that the 8 in his tritype only comes out when he is very stressed out. As you can tell, this obviously isn't verbatim, but this was what was essentially said (from what I remember).

    Now, where I'm going with this is that it's impossible for your friend to display both fixations (if that is what you meant) unless he was a very high strung individual who couldn't relax in any moment. It might seem like he's a 1 and 5 because both are in the competency triad, but otherwise, both of you may probably not be typing him correctly. It could also be that both of you are just analyzing the motivations, such as 1's having a desire for perfection and a 5 wanting to be competent, which are motivations anyone could simultaneously have, instead of thinking about his fixation.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  2. #62
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Well first of all, motivation is a bad word to use to describe what the enneagram does. I used it before, but animegai said it best: it's the lens through which we see the world in. All 9 types' "motivations" can be experienced by everyone, and I'd be surprised if no one experienced more than one (and even more than 3) of those "motivations" in their lifetime. As a 6, I've had a desire to be right/perfect in certain situations, to be loved, to be successful, to be unique, etc., but my energy in all of these situations stemmed from feelings of being insecure and unsure of myself - the very essence of a 6. When you talk about your friend's motivations, what exactly do you mean?
    Pardon me if I'm nitpicking, but aren't all the types' motivations based on "insecurity" about some aspect or other of themselves? Like, for instance, the 5's constant attempts to understand the world around hir in order to feel secure through their knowledge?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

  3. #63
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Pardon me if I'm nitpicking, but aren't all the types' motivations based on "insecurity" about some aspect or other of themselves? Like, for instance, the 5's constant attempts to understand the world around hir in order to feel secure through their knowledge?
    Pretty much. I guess I should've explained what I said more in-depth, but hopefully people get what I'm saying.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  4. #64
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Pretty much. I guess I should've explained what I said more in-depth, but hopefully people get what I'm saying.
    Hmmm... On that topic, how would you describe the 6 fixation, from that POV? An "insecurity about security"?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

  5. #65
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Hmmm... On that topic, how would you describe the 6 fixation, from that POV? An "insecurity about security"?
    I don't get what you're saying. Since I was talking about myself, let me just explain it in that way. I personally have little faith in myself in a lot of things, so I rely on other outside sources to make me feel more at ease. When I analyze myself, I'm able to see that this line of thinking controls everything I do.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  6. #66
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    I don't get what you're saying. Since I was talking about myself, let me just explain it in that way. I personally have little faith in myself in a lot of things, so I rely on other outside sources to make me feel more at ease. When I analyze myself, I'm able to see that this line of thinking controls everything I do.
    By "POV", I meant the idea of "Enneatype as insecurity about some aspect of yourself" I mentioned. In a way, my phrase played with the different senses of the word "security".
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

  7. #67
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    By "POV", I meant the idea of "Enneatype as insecurity about some aspect of yourself" I mentioned. In a way, my phrase played with the different senses of the word "security".
    Lemme see if I can rephrase what you're saying. Are you asking, "On that topic, how would you describe the 6 fixation, from the idea of "Enneatype as insecurity about some aspect of yourself"?"

    If that's the case, then it's exactly like I said. Sixes are afraid/insecure of themselves/their thinking (an aspect of themselves), so they rely on outside sources (gaining knowledge from reading, researching, family, friends, etc.) in order to feel secure about themselves.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  8. #68
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Well first of all...
    I didn't notice this at first because I didn't get any notification for you having not quoted me.

    Anyway, how do you suggest we resolve this? What's the best way to figure it out?
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

  9. #69
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Lemme see if I can rephrase what you're saying. Are you asking, "On that topic, how would you describe the 6 fixation, from the idea of "Enneatype as insecurity about some aspect of yourself"?"

    If that's the case, then it's exactly like I said. Sixes are afraid/insecure of themselves/their thinking (an aspect of themselves), so they rely on outside sources (gaining knowledge from reading, researching, family, friends, etc.) in order to feel secure about themselves.
    Ah, okay. That clarifies it, I think.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

  10. #70
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    I didn't notice this at first because I didn't get any notification for you having not quoted me.

    Anyway, how do you suggest we resolve this? What's the best way to figure it out?
    There's probably a myriad of ways to find out what type he is, and I have no idea what any of them would be. The way I figured out my type from a 6 and a 4 is as I've said many times before, I analyzed the reason for my actions and realized they stemmed from insecurity from my thoughts rather than from a fear of not being special/unique or wanting to understand myself better.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

Similar Threads

  1. What is better - cardio or weights?
    By danseen in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  2. Enneagram: wings vs tritype
    By gromit in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  3. What's better: Reason or Evidence?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  5. How do you figure what Enneagram wing you are?
    By Sniffles in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO