User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's Better - Tritype or wings?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wings

    14 37.84%
  • Tritype

    11 29.73%
  • Neither is better than the other

    12 32.43%
  • Other (explain)

    1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 84

  1. #51
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Interesting... Would you say the Enneagram is more of a "pseudo-pathopsychology" guide than a personality type system per se?

    In your opinion, does "integration" consist more of "subduing" your fixation, of focusing it in the right direction, or of balancing it?
    Eh... somewhat. As many people have said, the enneagram can be a good system to figuring out the core aspect of what you base your personality around, but there are too many things about it that seem arbitrarily placed, such as the aforementioned wings, as well as things like integration and disintegration lines and even the entire design of the enneagram.

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    These are some good points. The core motivations and how we respond to them (which is not the same as behave) is by far the most important thing. I am not sure why you would be limited to only one however.
    What I got from enneagram texts is that everything you do is focused around your core type, so even if it seems like you're doing things similar to other types, it isn't the same because the motivation is different. For example, as a 6, I can be very much into helping others and sacrificing myself for them. Sp 2 descriptions pretty much fit me to a T, however, once I analyze why I do this, I find that it's moreso because I don't want to be left alone by others rather than to be loved by them, as it would be for a 2. This is why tritypes don't work for me. I'm able to see why the many things I do are because of my 6 nature rather than just attributing them to other enneatypes.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  2. #52
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    These are some good points. The core motivations and how we respond to them (which is not the same as behave) is by far the most important thing. I am not sure why you would be limited to only one however.
    I mean, after all, it is a core motivation, not your ONLY motivation. >.<
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

  3. #53
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    I think wing, integration/disintegration points, and the instinctual stackings cover enough so that tritype becomes redundant or even misses the whole point of enneagram. It doesn't really make sense if you view the core type as the ego.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  4. #54
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Here's a question for you guys, do you think wings are meaningless too? I mean really I agree with you anti-tritype guys when you say that the point of the enneagram is just for us to realise the lens in which we view reality in. Once we can at least partially overcome these fixations, we live healthier lives. It seems to me that we can simply get this from our main type. As soon as we look into wings we are going into descriptive and behavioral territory that is not essential to the core of the enneagram. Using the same logic, would you be in favor of getting rid of wings too as part of our enneagram discussions?
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  5. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468
    Posts
    3

    Default Tritype and Wings

    I appreciate the interest in Tritype, the discovery that we actually have 3 types not just one, and each of those types always occurs 1 each in each of the 3 Centers of Intelligence, Head, Heart and Gut. There is a free video we did on Tritype here [YOUTUBE="http://youtu.be/T3MB4dQUBIQ"][/YOUTUBE] On an advanced level, Type is just the tension of the wings. So, for example, all 4s actually have both wings. They just manifest differently. Tritype measures something different, how you use each Center of Intelligence. So as a 468, I use my Heart Center like a 4, my Head Center like a 6 and my gut Center like an 8. I am a 4w5 468. There is no need to ask which fits you better as we all have both a wing and a Tritype. To determine your Tritype, you can take our professional $10 test here: http://www.enneagram.net/tests There is more free info on Tritype here http://Enneagram.net David

  6. #56
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    What I got from enneagram texts is that everything you do is focused around your core type, so even if it seems like you're doing things similar to other types, it isn't the same because the motivation is different.
    ...
    I'm able to see why the many things I do are because of my 6 nature rather than just attributing them to other enneatypes.
    Yeah. Ideally, and according to the base system, no matter what our secondary fixations have to be, they are rooted in our main fixation. We may display tendencies of the other types, and we ought to learn to draw upon their strengths, but any line of questioning about why we exhibit certain behaviors should be traceable to our main type. I've got a similar phenomenon going with 6 and 3, where my main motivation is difficult to tease out but that it seems that I exhibit 3-like behaviors to serve 6 goals.

    Wings and tritype both serve to 'color' our main type and provide more explanation, and they're rooted in different (but not incompatible) theories. I'd say that it might be useful, in some capacity, to identify other type energies that we individually tend to harness. For myself, I identify with 6 and 3 very strongly; to ignore the latter is to ignore a significant aspect of my personality, even if it is more 'surface-level.' A wing, tritype, or direction of integration/disintegration could explain this, but, frankly, it's difficult to care where the explanation comes from so long as it seems true to the individual.

    This is sort of like the MBTI questions that center around whether 'My heart serves my head / My head serves my heart'--it boils down to which is more fundamental in the individual.

    Also, everything you said about the 'point' of the Enneagram is spot on.

  7. #57
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Character-Neurosis-Integrative-Claudio-Naranjo/dp/0895560666[/url]
    This came in the mail yesterday, and I powered through most of it. He actually provides an overall view of why the types are ordered as they are and how adjacent types may be said to be similar to and affect one another. This is information that I hadn't seen anywhere else--it seems to be missing from most discussion on Enneagram.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    This came in the mail yesterday, and I powered through most of it. He actually provides an overall view of why the types are ordered as they are and how adjacent types may be said to be similar to and affect one another. This is information that I hadn't seen anywhere else--it seems to be missing from most discussion on Enneagram.
    Was it so informative that it made you rethink the validity of tritypes?
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  9. #59
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David468 View Post
    I appreciate the interest in Tritype, the discovery that we actually have 3 types not just one, and each of those types always occurs 1 each in each of the 3 Centers of Intelligence, Head, Heart and Gut. There is a free video we did on Tritype here [YOUTUBE="http://youtu.be/T3MB4dQUBIQ"][/YOUTUBE] On an advanced level, Type is just the tension of the wings. So, for example, all 4s actually have both wings. They just manifest differently. Tritype measures something different, how you use each Center of Intelligence. So as a 468, I use my Heart Center like a 4, my Head Center like a 6 and my gut Center like an 8. I am a 4w5 468. There is no need to ask which fits you better as we all have both a wing and a Tritype. To determine your Tritype, you can take our professional $10 test here: http://www.enneagram.net/tests There is more free info on Tritype here http://Enneagram.net David
    Well this helps to explain some things .

    Nothing like hearing from the person who discovered/created something.

    You talk about each wing manifesting itself differently. Can you elaborate on this a little? Also, do you think all people have a wing or can it be so slight as to be indiscernable?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #60
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Okay, question for you anti-tritype-ists...

    One of my close friends is frankly spit between types 1 and 5. He often exhibits both motivations (and is even aware of it in himself, too), and he consistently scores highest on both types -- even to the point where they were like .1 apart (i.e., 1w9 would 15.4, while 5w4 would be 15.3, etc.)! On top of that, the two aren't even connected through integration nor disintegration, so I don't know how you would explain that.

    Why do you think this is?
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

Similar Threads

  1. What is better - cardio or weights?
    By danseen in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  2. Enneagram: wings vs tritype
    By gromit in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  3. What's better: Reason or Evidence?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  5. How do you figure what Enneagram wing you are?
    By Sniffles in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO