User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's Better - Tritype or wings?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wings

    14 37.84%
  • Tritype

    11 29.73%
  • Neither is better than the other

    12 32.43%
  • Other (explain)

    1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 84

  1. #41
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    I relate more to wing than tri-type, but I can't figure out the tri-type for the life of me. Sure I can take a test and get a result.. but it almost seems like it dilutes the meaning. I kind of compare it to astrology in the sense that you have all these planetary positions, sun, moon, mars, libra, venus, pluto, squares, trines, etc. Whenever you get into a highly complex system based on subjective interpretations, tremendous potential for misunderstanding.

    Anyhow, I think I will find the basic core/wing fixations, growth and disintegration points to be enough material alone to keep me reeling on self actualization for some time. I don't discount that tri-types could be accurate or have value.. but for now I'm good, lol. =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  2. #42
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    @BlackCat explained it far better than I did, but generally when people look to tritype for further predictive power it's because they're focusing a lot on the descriptions and the characteristics rather than the core motivations to the types. However in order to provide better descriptive power, it sacrifices the real meaning of an enneagram type in the first place. Really all there is to it.

    I certainly found tritype interesting at first, but thought it just too intellectually flimsy and that it eroded some of enneagram's integrity in the first place. That's not to say it could never be adapted or developed a little differently in order to be useful though.

    It's interesting you don't identify with an adjacent wing however. Typically they do a good job in focusing the core fixation. Is it more you don't identify with either, or that they're equal so you can't choose?
    Core motivations of 5 and 7 don't really resonate with me at all nor do the 6w5 and 6w7 descriptions. It's like the shadings they describe just don't fit. Core motivations for 3 and 8 however do fit to some degree though not as much as 6. That's what I came down to.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  3. #43
    Secret Sex Freak Hazashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This might be a simplistic way of understanding it but the analogy I have for wings is that the Enneagram circle is like a compass. It seems to me that you have a "compass pointer" on the circle which represents your type. You might be a 7 but your compass pointer on the enneagram circle is not exactly on 7 but towards 8 or 6 in some degree (e.g. you are not pointing directly North but and between North and East - more North than East for example). The degree to which your compass pointer is closer to that other number affects how strong your wing is. If you are straight on 7, they you have little to no wing. It's not clear to me what would happen if you were exactly or almost exactly between a 7 and an 8 however. That's one of the questions I have about wings. I don't believe I have much of a wing because while I do identify with the 6 descriptions very well, I do not identify so much with the 6w7 or 6w5 descriptions. So with respect to me personally, either those descriptions are A) Not very good or B) I don't have much of a wing. Maybe they work for 90% of the population however and I'm just an exception.
    You know, I didn't know how to verbalize it, but that makes a lot of sense. I agree with that.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

    Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

    "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

    Tatiana ♥

  4. #44
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    You know, I didn't know how to verbalize it, but that makes a lot of sense. I agree with that.
    I rechecked the wing descriptions for 6. I found myself a agreeing with parts and disageeing with parts of each wing. So each is partially correct and partially wrong. Maybe that is what it looks like to be in the middle.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #45
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I rechecked the wing descriptions for 6. I found myself a agreeing with parts and disageeing with parts of each wing. So each is partially correct and partially wrong. Maybe that is what it looks like to be in the middle.
    I genuinely think I might be a 6 with fairly balanced wings. I would think that I'd lean a bit more toward 6w5, but on certain sites/in certain books I've identified more with the 6w7 description, in others more with 6w5.

    I just think that the basic 6 description fits me better than any others, and I have found 6 sp/sx descriptions (or at least sp) which were absolutely spot on.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  6. #46
    Senior Member Thunderbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I think enneagram authors shot themselves in the foot by describing how each type acts instead of focusing more on the core motivations and elements like that. By describing how each type "behaves", they've allowed people to think that they can be every single type which isn't what the enneagram is about. The enneagram was never built to describe personalities or cover every aspect of a person's personality. It was created to tell people that "Hey, you care too much about being a perfectionist. Stop that and do these things to better yourself." This is the main reason I don't like tritypes, but as people have already said, the entire system can get very messy, especially when people add wings to their tritypes. "I'm a 3w2-5w6-8w9 and I stress to 9w1 when I'm depressed but I go to 6w7, which means I have mostly every enneagram type in me!" It just ends up being ridiculous and missing the entire concept of the enneagram. Everyone has every single personality type described for each enneagram type, but no one has the same core motivations/essences of every enneagram type.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

  7. #47
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    I tend to like tritype myself ... there's a nuance existing in 937 not explained by 9w1 for me. I'm posting now to remind myself to come back and elaborate.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  8. #48
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    I tend to like them both. I'm 6w5 and 649. Neither one of them is completely accurate, and yet they both have parts that describe me that the other lacks. I probably have a slight preference for the wings though. I think tritype may attempt to overextend itself past what typology can really do. I don't know.
    ...

  9. #49
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    I think enneagram authors shot themselves in the foot by describing how each type acts instead of focusing more on the core motivations and elements like that. By describing how each type "behaves", they've allowed people to think that they can be every single type which isn't what the enneagram is about. The enneagram was never built to describe personalities or cover every aspect of a person's personality. It was created to tell people that "Hey, you care too much about being a perfectionist. Stop that and do these things to better yourself." This is the main reason I don't like tritypes, but as people have already said, the entire system can get very messy, especially when people add wings to their tritypes. "I'm a 3w2-5w6-8w9 and I stress to 9w1 when I'm depressed but I go to 6w7, which means I have mostly every enneagram type in me!" It just ends up being ridiculous and missing the entire concept of the enneagram. Everyone has every single personality type described for each enneagram type, but no one has the same core motivations/essences of every enneagram type.
    Interesting... Would you say the Enneagram is more of a "pseudo-pathopsychology" guide than a personality type system per se?

    In your opinion, does "integration" consist more of "subduing" your fixation, of focusing it in the right direction, or of balancing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I tend to like them both. I'm 6w5 and 649. Neither one of them is completely accurate, and yet they both have parts that describe me that the other lacks. I probably have a slight preference for the wings though. I think tritype may attempt to overextend itself past what typology can really do. I don't know.
    I tend to agree with your thoughts.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

  10. #50
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    I think enneagram authors shot themselves in the foot by describing how each type acts instead of focusing more on the core motivations and elements like that. By describing how each type "behaves", they've allowed people to think that they can be every single type which isn't what the enneagram is about. The enneagram was never built to describe personalities or cover every aspect of a person's personality. It was created to tell people that "Hey, you care too much about being a perfectionist. Stop that and do these things to better yourself." This is the main reason I don't like tritypes, but as people have already said, the entire system can get very messy, especially when people add wings to their tritypes. "I'm a 3w2-5w6-8w9 and I stress to 9w1 when I'm depressed but I go to 6w7, which means I have mostly every enneagram type in me!" It just ends up being ridiculous and missing the entire concept of the enneagram. Everyone has every single personality type described for each enneagram type, but no one has the same core motivations/essences of every enneagram type.
    These are some good points. The core motivations and how we respond to them (which is not the same as behave) is by far the most important thing. I am not sure why you would be limited to only one however.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

Similar Threads

  1. What is better - cardio or weights?
    By danseen in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  2. Enneagram: wings vs tritype
    By gromit in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  3. What's better: Reason or Evidence?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  5. How do you figure what Enneagram wing you are?
    By Sniffles in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO