User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's Better - Tritype or wings?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wings

    14 37.84%
  • Tritype

    11 29.73%
  • Neither is better than the other

    12 32.43%
  • Other (explain)

    1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 84

  1. #21
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    I'm not convinced there's merit to either of them.
    Hello

  2. #22
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I personally am a 9w8 and my type 1 scores on tests are close to zero if not zero most of the time, yet I definitely have some 1 tendencies whether I want to admit it or not. I am very, very 1 inclined when it comes to how I judge people; I set standards in my head seemingly automatically for a lot of things in life. Just the way that a 1 goes about doing it I don't relate to it, and how pretty much their entire life is run by said standards. It's more of a feeling for me. I thought the idea of being neighbors with the 1 was ridiculous until I read Naranjo's book and then realized that it's definitely an unconscious thing that I do a lot of the time.
    Sounds like you have a stronger 1 wing than I do, actually. I can't relate to setting "standards" or judging people. I just take things as they come. The only thing I relate to for type 1 is wanting to be good and conscientious. Though much of that probably comes from how I was raised rather than anything innate (my dad's an ISTJ 1w9).

  3. #23
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Tritype explains why I identify alot with both 5 and 9. I identify with 9 more than either wing of type 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Tritype fits me much better. Maybe i dont have a wing because neither of them resonate. I do think enneagram ise extremely useful - more practical value than mbti, functions, etc.
    Well of course it does. Just as an MBTI type of XXXX fits me better than INTP.



  4. #24
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Well of course it does. Just as an MBTI type of XXXX fits me better than INTP.
    How much have you read about or studied the enneagram? Why are you so convinced tritype it isn't valid?

    It's really not so ludicrous. In MBTI, we have 4 (or 8 depending on how your look at it) functions which we prefer in descending order - dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, inferior. Inferior is the weakest. It is analogous to Tritype in a way. Tritype doesn't say they are all equal. It says you have a primary type. You react/respond based on that first. Then you react/respond based on the secondary type. Then you act/react based on the third. They are in descending importance. Each one is in the one of the triads - gut, heart and head. It's symmetrical and logical. It was developed because there were patterns on the differences between certain types. 4s had characteristics of two other types in different triads. 7s did as well and so on.

    For me personally, I always tested as an 8 on the online questionnaires. There were a number of people who seemed to doubt this so I was professionally tested to figure it out once and for all. I came out as a 6 heavily leaning towards the counter-phobic side which is often mistaken for 8. However, it makes sense that 8 is in the tritype. With that though, I have a lot of characteristics of someone who is a 3 as well. If you knew me IRL, you would see this to be absolutely true. So, tritype seems to fit better for me.

    Edit: Also, @BlackCat, to reference Naranjo and say that anything different is absurd or ridiculous is sort of like saying that any evolution of Jung's theories is absurd. There is not one universal view on Enneagram - what it is, what it means. What I have seen is that different authors/experts take a different spin. As examples, Riso/Hudson seem to be more aligned with the superficial or commercialized version of it while Fischer, Almaas and Maitri look at things a bit differently or more in depth. Then there is Katherine Chernick Fauvre and David Fauvre, who have a different flavor buy introducing Tritypes. They aren't all incompatible but it isn't like there is one clear school of thought.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #25
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    the tritype explains...in a way...why some types read so differently. like saturned is 4...but reads more like a 7 idk...for me personally...i think the wing speaks more to who i am...i can't remember what i decided my tritype was tho...so...pointless point ha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  6. #26
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    We're open enough to accept the truth around here, Bologna. And let me tell you, it's not about you being a 6w5 and a 3w4 and a 9 because you just can't be 5 types because you are only one person.

    Edit: GOD.
    You are just trying to win @ life with your small straight of 3456. I bet you would throw a 7 or a 2 in your type if you were allowed!!!!!
    This focus on 'truth' is exactly the sort of nonsensical disposition that I would expect from an ENTP like yourself. Cling to your theoretical notions of 'true' type all you want; I just don't buy it.

    I would advise you to step beyond what your Ti (which, by the way, is not in a dominant position and is therefore not so capable of discerning actual truth anyway...) tells you and take a look at the way the real world actually works. You ENTPs need to realize that talking about a theoretical construct is not the same as talking about the world.


  7. #27
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    is everyone an entp now? i must have missed something
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  8. #28
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    This focus on 'truth' is exactly the sort of nonsensical disposition that I would expect from an ENTP like yourself. Cling to your theoretical notions of 'true' type all you want; I just don't buy it.

    I would advise you to step beyond what your Ti (which, by the way, is not in a dominant position and is therefore not so capable of discerning actual truth anyway...) tells you and take a look at the way the real world actually works. You ENTPs need to realize that talking about a theoretical construct is not the same as talking about the world.

    We ENTP's, sir, are clearly the solid mathematical blocks on which the entire universe is grounded. I'd advise you to reevaluate your imbecile imperfect imbesomething imagination to understand the relation of reality to the "notion" of ENTP complex theoretical constructs.

    (or something.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  9. #29
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    How much have you read about or studied the enneagram? Why are you so convinced tritype it isn't valid?

    It's really not so ludicrous. In MBTI, we have 4 (or 8 depending on how your look at it) functions which we prefer in descending order - dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, inferior. Inferior is the weakest. It is analogous to Tritype in a way. Tritype doesn't say they are all equal. It says you have a primary type. You react/respond based on that first. Then you react/respond based on the secondary type. Then you act/react based on the third. They are in descending importance. Each one is in the one of the triads - gut, heart and head. It's symmetrical and logical. It was developed because there were patterns on the differences between certain types. 4s had characteristics of two other types in different triads. 7s did as well and so on.

    For me personally, I always tested as an 8 on the online questionnaires. There were a number of people who seemed to doubt this so I was professionally tested to figure it out once and for all. I came out as a 6 heavily leaning towards the counter-phobic side which is often mistaken for 8. However, it makes sense that 8 is in the tritype. With that though, I have a lot of characteristics of someone who is a 3 as well. If you knew me IRL, you would see this to be absolutely true. So, tritype seems to fit better for me.
    I've read a lot of Palmer, Riso-Hudson, and the Fauvre's. I obviously disagree with the latter on tritypes but the other thoughts are all well and good.

    I do not think relating Tritypes to functions is accurate at all. That you'd do so is, I think, indicative of a poor understanding of what an enneagram type is and what it describes about your personality. A proper analogue to tritype in MBTI would be something like INTP>ESTP>ISFP, or what have you, and you'd arbitrarily "switch" from type to type as you cycled through stressful situations. I think tritype is just born out of desire to reduce every behavior, every characteristic to a typological source, and apparently the creators never wondered whether they even should. Enneagram isn't just a different color hat you pop on to your head to help you deal with certain situations, it's a complete fixation that is created out of a pathological need, and "behavior" flows from that. I think tritype adds messiness and even strips power from the enneagram as a good model.

    I understand that you think tritype fits you better, but like I said that's to be expected when all of a sudden you can be whatever type whenever you want. I can't help but notice, however, your tritype is conveniently your type, its disintegration point, and then the type it is can be commonly confused for [8].



  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Has anyone ever heard of unconventional wings, such as 9w5 for an Enneatype? They're about as messy (or interesting and "useful") as tritypes and plain ol' wings.

    Recently it occured to me that the Enneagram can be viewed as 9 dichotomies with several temperaments known as triads.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

Similar Threads

  1. What is better - cardio or weights?
    By danseen in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  2. Enneagram: wings vs tritype
    By gromit in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  3. What's better: Reason or Evidence?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  5. How do you figure what Enneagram wing you are?
    By Sniffles in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO