User Tag List

12 Last

Default What had happened was....(your enneagram type)

How do you think you became the enneagram you are? Please tell your story . Thanks!
    Last edited by Sparrow; 02-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I suppose my enneagram type was the result of external factors as far back an possibly infancy, if not very early childhood. Although I can't pinpoint exactly where I became fearful of the world, perhaps it was a natural aspect of my character from birth; although I'm not sure how much of personality is nature and how much is nuture; I'd imagine that both factors could play a role, but really there would need to be empirical data to completely confirm otherwise. Anyway, assuming that my enneagram type was the result of my environment, I beleive I developed it probably sometime around pre-school; the new change in the environment and being away from familiar people was frightening to me. I was scared and unsure of the school and didn't like being left on my own there. And over the years I encountered various forms of hostility or creulty from others, making feel even more unsafe. I suppose that is where the origin of my enneagram 6 lies hence from.

I am who I am - I don't think there is a clear-cut explanation. Subsequently, I think looking for an explanation through introspection will only result in red-herrings and convenient excuses. Just my opinion.
    Hello

Hmm. I may as well make this my first post. I'm an enneagram 4.

For as long as I can remember, I've always had this habit of escaping and indulging in fantasies. The fantasies, as described by many enneagram sources for 4s, typically involving an idealized version of myself. This is so natural, like breathing air, that I'm not exactly sure what made me this way. I suppose I can go about this by describing nature and nurture.

As a child, I was told that I was mostly quiet and appeared very aloof. I was very imaginative throughout elementary school and quite introverted, choosing to spend time doing things alone. I mostly lived in my mind.

In terms of nurture, I viewed my parents as a dismissive and critical. I don't want to get into specifics, but verbal and physical abuse was the norm growing up. There was some resentment growing up.

I don't think it's as linear as I'm making it out though. Seeing as the nurture explanation I gave could also result in an enneagram 6.
    Last edited by Burger King; 02-11-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

For as long as I can remember, I've always had this habit of escaping and indulging in fantasies. The fantasies, as described by many enneagram sources for 4s, typically involving an idealized version of myself. This is so natural, like breathing air, that I'm not exactly sure what made me this way. I suppose I can go about this by describing nature and nurture.

As a child, I was told that I was mostly quiet and appeared very aloof. I was very imaginative throughout elementary school and quite introverted, choosing to spend time doing things alone. I mostly lived in my mind.

In terms of nurture, I viewed my parents as a dismissive and critical. I don't want to get into specifics, but verbal and physical abuse was the norm growing up. There was some resentment growing up.

I don't think it's as linear as I'm making it out though. Seeing as the nurture explanation I gave could also result in an enneagram 6.
    I don't mean to poop on your first post (Welcome, by the way! ), but I think this points more to 5. Quiet, aloof, prefer to be alone, identifying with the mind...

Don't be put off by 5s being stereotyped as dry, academic types - 5s live in the mind, and are quiet and (seemingly) aloof and imaginative as you describe. 4s live and breathe their hearts. This isn't just a choice of words, it's a genuine experiential (maybe even physiological) distinction that lies at the centre of the enneagram. Be careful of alluring descriptions that paint you as how you'd like to see yourself, rather than what you are.

Anyway, welcome.
    Hello

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

this also sounds a lot like an introverted 7w6 (not trying to type you)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

I was a born and raised nine. Life beat the eight into me.

ThatGirl

I was raised like a spartan.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I don't mean to poop on your first post (Welcome, by the way! ), but I think this points more to 5. Quiet, aloof, prefer to be alone, identifying with the mind...

Don't be put off by 5s being stereotyped as dry, academic types - 5s live in the mind, and are quiet and (seemingly) aloof and imaginative as you describe. 4s live and breathe their hearts. This isn't just a choice of words, it's a genuine experiential (maybe even physiological) distinction that lies at the centre of the enneagram. Be careful of alluring descriptions that paint you as how you'd like to see yourself, rather than what you are.

Anyway, welcome.
    Thanks for the welcome

The interesting thing is this is not the first time someone has recommended/mentioned e5. I just don't see myself as detached. But then again, our perception of self is always biased. I probably shouldn't type myself yet seeing as I haven't read any books on the matter (only looked at various descriptions from various internet sources).

@Elfboy

I'm not very confident with my typing. What about it sounds 7w6?

Edit: Nvm, don't want to derail this thread.
    Last edited by Burger King; 02-11-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: edit

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

The 4w3 is just how I've always been. Funny thing is that I think I looked a lot more like a 479 when I was younger. I did move from Hong Kong to New Zealand when I was in my teens. Perhaps the social anxiety made me more 6.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors